IAMMAC

Camp Navajo

Good day, everyone!  I got an out of state cow tag for 8-14 October.  I’ve hunted unsuccessfully there back in 2012 and was a helper for a buddy in 2011, and am extremely excited to return to the base to hopefully fill the freezer.

I’m currently filling out my forms for the Limited Area, but I never went in during the two years I went.  I have a crossbow because of an old shoulder injury and plan on using that.   Also carrying a muzzleloader in case I find some outside the LA during scouting.

Any intel on good areas inside the LA?  

Also, I’m starting to come up with a plan for meat just in case.  I want to have things deboned and packaged by the time I head out, and was curious if anyone had any tips on how to ensure it keeps for a multi-day trip home.

really enjoy reading these forums.  Thanks and I’m looking forward to seeing the beautiful mountains again.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I contacted the Campsite and they said they let the hunters camp on a first come first serve basis. I am tent camping so they warned me about bears. Has anyone had this hunt and not stayed on the base? I do not think I will have access to the restricted area because I am not retired military, active, or reservist. I am a disabled vet and federal employee with an active security clearance though. I am going to ask when I take the in person safety course tomorrow in Phoenix. If I am unable to hunt the restricted area, I will gladly accept any advice. From looking at the tag allocation it appears I will have around 30 other hunters to compete with, both archery and rifle. 

4 minutes ago, JakeUSMC said:

I contacted the Campsite and they said they let the hunters camp on a first come first serve basis. I am tent camping so they warned me about bears. Has anyone had this hunt and not stayed on the base? I do not think I will have access to the restricted area because I am not retired military, active, or reservist. I am a disabled vet and federal employee with an active security clearance though. I am going to ask when I take the in person safety course tomorrow in Phoenix. If I am unable to hunt the restricted area, I will gladly accept any advice. From looking at the tag allocation it appears I will have around 30 other hunters to compete with, both archery and rifle. 

I wouldn't worry about bears there any more than I would over the entire state.

3 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I wouldn't worry about bears there any more than I would over the entire state.

Yeah the bears don't concern me. I grew up in Wisconsin; bears everywhere. My main question is if I can hunt the restricted area. 

10 minutes ago, JakeUSMC said:

My son just spent his annual two weeks there in the field and he saw 3 bears. 

Just now, JakeUSMC said:

Yeah the bears don't concern me. I grew up in Wisconsin; bears everywhere. My main question is if I can hunt the restricted area. 

Not sure about that. I've only hunted the non restricted.

I hunted the restricted last fall, shot a cow on opening evening.  I ended up sitting water but they hadn't had any moisture in a while.  I camped in the primitive area, I think it was $4 daily fee.  There is a Loves gas station one exit down from the Camp Navajo exit that has ice, just take a big enough cooler and go buy ice when you get one down.  There are a ton of roads in there.  I was able to almost drive right to my elk.  You have to remove EVERYTHING except the gut pile so be prepared for that.

Pretty sure there are 2 campgrounds. One on each side. They do have the advantage of elk walking thru camp.

Lots of fence crossings on both sides and edge of restricted. Timing a crossing can be very productive. 

With all this rain be prepaired for muddy , rough ,crappy unmaintained rd conditions throughout the buffer areas.

Restricted has paved and graded rds for most parts

Good luck on your hunt. 

Just to revive this thread, I applied for the early archery this year and should be able to get in restricted if drawn. Anyone that’s drawn archery and hunted restricted still around? Shoot me a pm if your willing to help, I’m currently stationed in Cali and likely won’t be scouting. Sounds like a big risk with the last second cancelations. Fingers crossed. 

I wouldn’t worry about the cancellations. Usually if something is restricted it’s a fairly small area with plenty of other options. Only time it really affected me was when a bunch of tornadoes came through right before the hunt even if it was open I don’t think I could’ve gotten in. 

8 minutes ago, AZHOUND said:

I wouldn’t worry about the cancellations. Usually if something is restricted it’s a fairly small area with plenty of other options. Only time it really affected me was when a bunch of tornadoes came through right before the hunt even if it was open I don’t think I could’ve gotten in. 

I hunted the October cow hunt right after that.  Unreal seeing those big ponderosas uprooted and tossed about.  Root balls on them as big as a bus!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AZHOUND said:

Thanks everyone. What about the safety brief requirement now? Looks like it’s only face to face. Seems silly to fly from Colorado (or drive 12 hrs) to watch a PowerPoint. Keep in mind I’ve hunted on military installations all throughout the country.  Is it more quantity than quality out there? What’s the biggest bull anyone has seen killed out there?