Green Bullet

solo archery bull

I drew a 7w tag archery tag which is awesome. It's been a long wait....so i have a dilemma now in that i don't have a reliable wing man for my hunt. The guy i would have hunted with drew his own tag with his son. I have no problem putting in the time to scout and learn the unit but i'm not keen on hunting solo and minimizing my chances to call in a bull if he can pinpoint me perfectly (Vs with a wingman they would presumably be calling from 50 yards behind me etc).

As a plan b, i could go with an outfitter. That'll run be $5k +/- though which is totally do-able financially but I don't want to blow the money if there isn't a good value to the investment...which leads to my question below:

Question to you all is how much more difficult am i making life for me if i go solo? Id like to put the pack out factor aside for now (e.g. packing out the animal after the fact...i know that will suck but whatever right :) ).

Any advice or tips on solo archery elk tactics? I was thinking maybe i could use one of those bow /cow decoy things....

I usually make my helper hold up at 300yds

If a mistake is made in the red zone it's all my fault not a hunting partner that wants to take a peak once we get close or doesn't keep up etc.

Solo is better in my experience. But my hunting style is different than any of my hunting buddies.

Good luck

• Like 2

I would also hold off on decoys. Give them no reason to think anything it out of the norm.

Picture a house party of close friends and a random person shows up at the dinner table. It won't take long for someone to take note of an intruder.

My advice take lots of pics. Move fast When you have them in ear shot. cover lots of ground be aggressive and use a range finder! It could save you a tracking job. You want to make short work of the tracking job solo.

• Like 1

I dont like hunting with anyone. I dont mind recapping the days events in the evening, but side x side is not for me. No decoys. They are vocal. If you speak elk call a little. If you dont know what theyre saying its best to ambush silently and stay away from calling. Water can be good, but I dont enjoy sitting water for elk. Ive killed a bunch of archery bulls and never wished I had a partner....until the pack out begins! Good luck - should be a bomber of a hunt👍🏻

• Like 1

You arent making anything harder. Its sinpler on your own. I do like having someone around to talk strategy with especially at night when prepping for the next day.

Other than that, alone is just fine.

• Like 1

I have done it solo and with a hunting buddy(Dad). I enjoy it either way but I have no issues hunting alone. Just make sure you have someone to come and help pack it out and youre good.

I've had 2 archery tags. 1st hunt had a partner for the first 7 days. I had 2 shot opportunities but passed in that 1st week. Killed a bull solo on day 12 of that hunt, i got into way more elk solo, I was quicker and quieter and didn't have to stop and discuss the gameplan while hubting. 2nd hunt I had a buddy with the same tag, and my brother was able to go with me but I refused to let anyone hunt with me, I had at least 1 shot opportunity every day until I killed on day 10. My suggestion would be to do it yourself, on the actual hunt. Lucky for me I had plenty of help on both pack outs though.

I never liked hunting solo, I've always liked hunting to be social. But now, I find myself often day dreaming about hunting solo.

We were 3 for 3 last year in 4 days. All of us were solo and the longest shot was 24 yards for our buddy sitting water. They were bugling like crazy so my husband and I could each get in front of them and have a good shot. If it's hot, sit some water. Save that cow call til you shoot. So many elk are getting savvy to the calls. Hunting solo simply rocks!! For some it's that connection to nature there's no words for and the exhilaration of accomplishment that you did it!

• Like 1

Great Unit! Call John at High Point Outfitters if your looking for a big one. He knows the unit well!

Tags come too far and in-between to mess around - unless your don't mind killing a 300" or smaller - I guess it depends on that. With John a 350" minimum would be an eazy deal for him!

I drew a 7w tag archery tag which is awesome. It's been a long wait....so i have a dilemma now in that i don't have a reliable wing man for my hunt. The guy i would have hunted with drew his own tag with his son. I have no problem putting in the time to scout and learn the unit but i'm not keen on hunting solo and minimizing my chances to call in a bull if he can pinpoint me perfectly (Vs with a wingman they would presumably be calling from 50 yards behind me etc).

As a plan b, i could go with an outfitter. That'll run be $5k +/- though which is totally do-able financially but I don't want to blow the money if there isn't a good value to the investment...which leads to my question below:

Question to you all is how much more difficult am i making life for me if i go solo? Id like to put the pack out factor aside for now (e.g. packing out the animal after the fact...i know that will suck but whatever right :) ).

Any advice or tips on solo archery elk tactics? I was thinking maybe i could use one of those bow /cow decoy things....

In that Unit probably be able to drive the truck to the kill. I have killed 4 bulls in that unit Archery and all had easy access...

Ummm, whats for sale here? Perhaps this belongs in the elk forum ?

• Like 1