bvanetten

Wildland Firefighting Jobs

Oldest son just graduated from wildland firefighting courses up in Prescott. Arizona Wildfire Academy I think? He's looking for a job now. From what little I know about the process it looks like he has missed the hiring window (jobs posted in November and filled by January). He has a few applications in for entry level jobs around the state, we'll see how that goes.

Does anyone here have any insight into the process? Any leads on State, Federal, or private jobs? Any info is appreciated.

When I was hired as a seasonal back in 98, NAU Forestry dept had applications waiting for me. I would check with his school. The Firefighter jobs were hard to get back then too. I started as a trail worker and did my Fire training with the USFS at a work center called Strayhorse. From there I was with a type 2 crew for about 5 fires when my 8 day tours with the trail crew was over.

It's kind of up to him and what he is wanting to do. California it seems would hire him. I worked with the City of Flagstaff on their Fuel Management Crew for 9 months and enjoyed it more than the Forest Service.

kinda tough now because the window has closed, most crews are full now, but he can get on lists to fill in if someone gets hurt. Not sure of the process but believe it is on usjobs.gov website

fill-ins are important, a 20 man crew has to supply at least 18 people to the line or they will get demob'd off the fire

If he is willing to travel, check with the State of Montana. They had a real bad fire season last year, and were bringing in people from out of state. It could be a start, and to gain experience in the system?

I would check with all of the small volunteer departments in your area and and even all around the state. He could be a volunteer on multiple departments and be eligible to travel with them out of state. He would be working on an engine rather than a hand crew but some fire time is better than no fire time. When I started I worked solely on an engine for our local department and as I got exposed to more people and more fires I started getting resourced out to hand crews. We had a bunch of guys that lived in different towns that occasionally went out with our engines. If I would have stayed in the game I could have worked for multiple hand crews after only one fire season because of all the different people I met and crews I worked with. Getting on with a volunteer department or semi volunteer department could also be a foot in the door for structure fire fighting also if he ever wanted to go that route.

• Like 1

Agree with creed. Thats how I started as well. Tell him to always keep in mind, Wildland is a small world, so reputation is everything! Work hard, be safe, always learn from mistakes and have fun.

Also, fire seasons move as the spring/summer goes on. If he is willing to be out of state for months, then reach out across the country for hand crews. Dont forget to call all of the tribal communities. Engine crews (type 6) typically come with experience or with privates.

Don't know where you live but up north at Heber and Taylor snowflake and Show Low Timber Mesa they are always sending crews out in the summertime. Many times they don't have enough people to staff a truck and they may be able to use him. Like mentioned before he would be working off an engine or occasionally a type-6 truck. It would get him some experience. I'll have to check into it but some departments could possibly require him to be an EMT if he is going to work under them so that could be a problem.

Thanks for all the info guys. We live in Apache Junction and he would prefer to keep AZ as his home base. But sometimes you have to get outside of your comfort zone.

• Like 1

AZLance,

Thanks for the link. The only position left is a Squad Boss. We'll go down there and figure out if he can get on a list or something.

The Forest Service is having a third round of seasonal hiring in a handful of locations in Arizona. The announcement will open 3/27 and close 4/2. Send me your email address and I will forward you all the announcements. He will need to apply through USA.jobs.

Update.

The boy landed a job on a brush truck stationed in Tucson. Department of Forestry and Fire Management. Just finished up a prescribed burn south of tucson. He is enjoying it so far.

• Like 3

That's great news. Keep us posted on how he does.