Huntermichael

Air Gun coming to archery seasons in AZ

Personally, I think archery only seasons should be restricted to compounds & traditional equipment, drawn and held under the stress of holding the draw weight. Anybody not capable of doing so needs to get a firearm/muzzleloader permit. Got no issue with a champ permit for archery only seasons providing the issue is mobility and not the inability to use a compound or traditional bow.

IIRC, archery is supposed to be a primitive weapon season. A scoped airbow capable of 450 fps is not what I'd call a primitive weapon.

FLAME ON!

• Like 3

Personally, I think archery only seasons should be restricted to compounds & traditional equipment, drawn and held under the stress of holding the draw

weight. Anybody not capable of doing so needs to get a firearm/muzzleloader permit. Got no issue with a champ permit for archery only seasons providing the issue is mobility and not the inability to use a compound or traditional bow.

IIRC, archery is supposed to be a primitive weapon season. A scoped airbow capable of 450 fps is not what I'd call a primitive weapon.

FLAME ON!

I wouldn't call a compound bow primitive

• Like 1

Huntermichael:

I've also seen them go UNDER 3-meter fences. The problems with many kudu hunts in South Africa, especially bowhunts, is

1. they may take place on 200,000-acre farms, but bowhunting is virtually all from treestands or pit blinds within a few feet of the few water sources on the property. (In southern Africa, shooting over water is considered unethical by virtually all local hunters. Exceptions are made for American bowhunters to guarantee their success so they can book their friends.)

2. Because of the lure of water, many bowhunted animals are actually hunted on 5,000 acre or much smaller properties. Every first-timer in South Africa wants a kudu with 50-inch or longer horns, and a number of game farmers will have 50 or more clients. Selling 50 mature kudu bulls grown on the property per year to 50 newbies is not sustainable or possible.

3. As a result, South Africa has developed an industry of raising "gold star" antelope -- kudu bulls, nyala, sable, waterbuck, etc., -- auctioning the critters like livestock, drugging and hauling them to farms in horse trailers and releasing them a week or less before the clients arrive.

'

Not every game farmer does this, of course, but unless I personally knew him or his reputation, I'd hunt Zimbabwe, Zambia or elsewhere if I wanted another "trophy" kudu.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

Personally, I think archery only seasons should be restricted to compounds & traditional equipment, drawn and held under the stress of holding the draw

weight. Anybody not capable of doing so needs to get a firearm/muzzleloader permit. Got no issue with a champ permit for archery only seasons providing the issue is mobility and not the inability to use a compound or traditional bow.

FLAME ON!

I wouldn't call a compound bow primitive

I agree but with a compound you still have to hold some draw weight AND when preparing to shoot you must "make the move" aka, draw the bow giving the quarry an opportunity to become aware of your postion.

I agree crossbow permits should be harder to get. I don't know that there's much to be done, unless you have a proposal. AZGFD requires a letter from your doctor. If one doctor doesn't give the guy a letter, he's on to the next doctor.

I'm not fighting against the crossbow, or the guy who needs a crossbow. I have family that use assisted draw compound bows, and I commend him for sticking to archery even though he cant draw a bow.

I believe it's the principle of the matter. The owner's manual of the "air bow" clearly states that it is a gun. Once we allow a gun into an archery hunt, where does it stop? What technology comes out next? Before you know it, in 5 or 10 years we have shoulder mounted rifles that shoot laser beams in an archery hunt. It's a slippery slope sir. I hope you don't look back in ten years and regret not taking action. I personally want to teach my kids and grandkids the art of archery and bowhunting.

If you disagree, so be it. Have a great day.

Crossbows literally shoot the same speed and Noone is crying about that? If you can shoot an airbow 200 yards you can shoot a crossbow 200 yards as well. You'd think doctors wouldn't lie in a medical form to get guys a crossbow. There's nothing game and fish can do about that.

You may not have typed anything regarding the pope and young and crossbows but it's in the file you attached from the az bowhunters association. I'm curious if you have something to do with the association and if that truly is their official stance on the subject and if BIA record book has the same stance. If so please contact me so I can withdraw my membership and any animals I have entered.

Bill Quimby: Interesting information. I didn't know most of that. I hunted with a fairly reputable outfitter through a hunt that I won.

Thanks for the input. Important information to consider before returning to Africa.

Yes people primarily hunt out of elevated blinds, or pit blinds. And yes they come in to water when they are thirsty, just like elk do in september when we sit in treestands. Not really much difference, other than the cultural perspective of what is ethical and what is not.

You may not have typed anything regarding the pope and young and crossbows but it's in the file you attached from the az bowhunters association. I'm curious if you have something to do with the association and if that truly is their official stance on the subject and if BIA record book has the same stance. If so please contact me so I can withdraw my membership and any animals I have entered.

Would you like me to pull your buck from P&Y... among other reasons? Ed F

Would you like me to pull your buck from P&Y... among other reasons? Ed F

If that's pope and youngs stance on the subject too, absolutely. I have a brother that has never been interested in trying bowhunting due to a medical condition. Until this proposal came out and he's over the top excited about it now knowing he has an equal chance of taking an animal. If an organization is against that I don't want to be a member. I appreciate what pope and young and ABA does for people in our sport and if that's their stance that's fine. I just don't want to support it when it hurts my family member.

P&Y's position on the Air Bow is... not during archery season. Consider it done. Ed F

Pope and youngs positions on the crossbow is. . . Not during archery season. So let me know when these groups go after crossbows. Send me whatever I need to sign. Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. Going to send my letter as soon as I get the chance. A letter of appreciation thanking the G&F for getting this done. My uncle can finally hunt desert muleys in the rut with the rest of us. He's going to be pretty pumped about this. I've been calling the G&F offices quite a bit over the past two years asking them about this airgun. After all the time talking to them I really didn't think they were going to make it legal.

• Like 3

Man, this thread is the biggest bunch of blowhard BS I have ever read. You guys must be bored.

Does no one realize that right now giant sheds are hitting the ground in 4B?!

• Like 3