Huntermichael

Air Gun coming to archery seasons in AZ

Redman you sound like the typical wannabe I referenced in my post ! Who cares if you kill a 70 inch coues or a 145 mule deer ? Guess it might validate wannabes to have an entry in the holy bible of wannabes know as P&Y ??

Hmmm... underlying issues? There's a lot of wannabes who support P&Y... Chuck Adams, Tom Miranda, Rusty Ulmer, Cameron Hanes... yeah, wannabe bowhunters who don't need any validation. Lots of hate coming from this thread where a guy asked for help to protect his passion. Ed F

Watch the video of a guy hitting steel at 202 yards. With a slight crosswind correction, lands a perfect shot on the second attempt.

hoghntr: Thanks for all your honest input on the topic. I've enjoyed hearing your perspective as a crossbow permit holder. Please enlighten us, can you crossbow do this?

Someone with the right practice can hit steel at 200 yards with a crossbow. After all the weapons shoot the projectile the same speed. Using air to push it out doesn't give it magical properties to be more accurate. I've seen videos of guys hitting targets at 200+ with a compound bow as well. Does that mean they hunt with them at 200? Or that the arrow would even kill anything at 200?
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input. I don't know everything about the capabilities of a crossbow as I have never discharged one. Thanks for the honest input gentlemen. I could see the possibility of a crossbow doing the same in the video with adequate skill or maybe with a tripod.

I still believe the airgun has greater capabilities than a crossbow. I also believe it creates an unfair advantage over the quarry. Primarily I believe a gun has no place in an archery hunt. Simple as that.

Don't get me wrong, the air gun looks cool. I'd hunt predators with it, but not in an any archery season.

I was around when bowhunting groups had to convince the game commission that "modern technology" (laminated recurve bows) would "not adversely affect the resource" (meaning wipe out our deer herds.).

When compound bows came along soon after that, the world came unglued. Same fears. Advocates said these still were primitive weapons and that success rates would remain 10% to 20%, as with any other bow. These advocates were wrong, of course.

I say, let's dump everything and start all over again with long wooden bows, cedar arrows, and stamped broadheads.

Bill Quimby

Watch the video of a guy hitting steel at 202 yards. With a slight crosswind correction, lands a perfect shot on the second attempt.

hoghntr: Thanks for all your honest input on the topic. I've enjoyed hearing your perspective as a crossbow permit holder. Please enlighten us, can you crossbow do this?

Someone with the right practice can hit steel at 200 yards with a crossbow. After all the weapons shoot the projectile the same speed. Using air to push it out doesn't give it magical properties to be more accurate. I've seen videos of guys hitting targets at 200+ with a compound bow as well. Does that mean they hunt with them at 200? Or that the arrow would even kill anything at 200?

👍👍👍

You know I woke up this morning I saw some post on Facebook about this and I allowed those post to affect my decision making without doing my own research. If you look at my post on this thread alone you can see that within a few hours I completely changed my mind. Just a slight amount of research shows that it's basically the same as a crossbow so why not allow it. Honestly without a cocking device it hurts my shoulders neck clavicle worse than pulling a compound bow so I can see where compressed air would be kind of sweet. So that being said if it's basically the same as a crossbow it seems like the only people 100% against them are the same people that are against crossbows. Trust me as a archer I hate having to use a crossbow! Yes it allows me to have some sort of archery hunt but it's about 90% less fun than vertical bows. If you really love archery and have it taken away you know what i mean. :(

• Like 2

There already are options & seasons for people with disabilities. Apply for an early rifle hunt/muzzy hunt and hunt it with a arrow gun if you want to hunt in Sept. This is what rifle & muzzy hunters have to do if this is the time period they want to hunt. There are already too many abuses of people using crossbows during archery season and this will take it to a whole new level IMO. If it is a temporary injury or recent injury we now have point guard and tag can be turned in without giving up points. Wasn't that one of the main arguments G&F made when defending it? I specifically remember them saying "life happens" and point guard is now there to protect you.

I am a little confused on why G&F is doing this now when there are no other states that allow it. Looks like a solution in search of a problem to me. So many bigger issues than this and the dept. does not even address them.

I have written G&F fish and encouraged others to do the same. No arrow guns during archery seasons.

Answer this honestly.

You are waiting for a muzzleloader or rifle tag, been applying for 10 years, you get the news you NOW have a TERMINAL illness and will not be able to wait another 3 or more years to draw a muzzleloader or rifle tag. What do you do?

• Like 1

200 yards? No. What is the difference in one of these and a crossbow that shoots 450fps? I agree crossbow permits should be harder to get, but for law abinding citizens that are actually disabled, these are not an issue. Go after g&f not being so loosey goosey with crossbow permits, not the people that need them.

Champ permits and crossbow permits used to be more difficult to get and also I don't remember them being for temporarily disabled people as now you can get x-bow permit temporarily.. Pretty sure crossbow permit used to be only for permanently disabled people and i think it used to he 90% or greater loss of use of 1 arm.

I have both the champ permit and a crossbow permit I don't think the airbow should be legal during archery season. Save it for the ham hunt and rifle hunt. I mean I'm sitting here knowing that it would be legal for me to use it during an archery hunt and I'm trying to figure out where disabled or not why would it be fair for me to hunt during an archery hunt and shoot an animal to to 300 yards away while somebody else has to stick to you know under 60 yards for the most part. I am at a disadvantage when it comes to the hiking part but allowing me to use scoped crossbow shooting 400 feet per second is probably good enough. If you are me with an airbow it's allowing me to rifle hunt during archery I just I just don't know that seems a little strange. All crossbows can have cocking devices put on them where you just cranked them to cock the bow. If somebody can't use a cocking device they probably can't hold airbow either without help. I'm one of the bonuses of a crossbow is been able to cock the crossbow and basically sit in your stand all day long with a cocked you're not drawing a bow on your shoulder or neck or back or whatever the problem is heck somebody else could cock the bow for you or you could use a cocking device. I'm not sure how this ever made it up for vote

Respectfully, you are "disabled" not terminally ill and you can stand and bear weight on your legs. .

There already are options & seasons for people with disabilities. Apply for an early rifle hunt/muzzy hunt and hunt it with a arrow gun if you want to hunt in Sept. This is what rifle & muzzy hunters have to do if this is the time period they want to hunt. There are already too many abuses of people using crossbows during archery season and this will take it to a whole new level IMO. If it is a temporary injury or recent injury we now have point guard and tag can be turned in without giving up points. Wasn't that one of the main arguments G&F made when defending it? I specifically remember them saying "life happens" and point guard is now there to protect you.

I am a little confused on why G&F is doing this now when there are no other states that allow it. Looks like a solution in search of a problem to me. So many bigger issues than this and the dept. does not even address them.

I have written G&F fish and encouraged others to do the same. No arrow guns during archery seasons.

Answer this honestly.

You are waiting for a muzzleloader or rifle tag, been applying for 10 years, you get the news you NOW have a TERMINAL illness and will not be able to wait another 3 or more years to draw a muzzleloader or rifle tag. What do you do?

you lost me

• Like 1

Redman you sound like the typical wannabe I referenced in my post ! Who cares if you kill a 70 inch coues or a 145 mule deer ? Guess it might validate wannabes to have an entry in the holy bible of wannabes know as P&Y ??

NoBull

You got me twisted... I don't give 2 craps about P&Y (entires) and commend BC777 for his stance on P&Y, that post that referenced resending BC777 P&Y entry makes me give even less crap about P&Y entries.

I do think P&Y do great animal conservation -the organization is respected by me, that post to BC777 was bullcrap.

I lost a great hunting buddy and tried to help him hunt while he was deteriorating, this airgun would have greatly helped him with his last two hunts before he past.

No harm, NoBull....

Answer this honestly.

you lost me

sometimes you can't wait to draw an early season muzzleloader or rifle tag- your life will expire before then, but you may have enough points to draw an early season archery tag and use a champ permit

Sorry Redman I have to many things going on and my post was meant for BOWUNTR . BOWUNTR yes there are some big names that support P&Y . Those same guys would never even think about shooting the dink like the one you are so proud of on your avatar! So like I said before its wannabes that think an entry means something . I Think its time to raise the bar for P&Y so it has some meaning !

• Like 1

LOL !!! Its just a name son . If I wanted validation I would change my name to ........ MYBIGGESTBULLIS120INCHESBIGGERTHANP&YMINIMUM ! Throwing that P&Y in there makes me feel accomplished lol !

Off topic but:

Where does ABA stand on the use of trail cameras?

I have yet to see a statement from them helping other bow hunters out with the fight on the proposed rule but they want help with this?