Sign in to follow this  
1uofacat

G&F Proposed Rule Changes

Take heed, lots of things in this.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-portal-wordpress/azgfd.wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/27140635/Article-3-NPRM1.pdf

Among the changes are...

• No “live-action” trail cameras… I assume they mean those that send electronic updates etc., but not sure if this is the case. Many use images from a “live action” trail camera so what does this mean? No more trail camera use? (pg 34)
  • They are also proposing no trail camera use w/in 1/4mile of a “developed water source.”
  • Also, no use of drones in the aid of taking wildlife (does anyone do that?)
  • Also a wide-scale approval of 30# bows for big game now as well as approved use of “ceramic or metal covered ceramic” cutting edges on broadheads with 7/8” cutting surface (width is same, but bison is still requiring a 40# pull).
  • No live satellite images. Haha, wouldn't we love to have access to that?

GAME AND FISH NEWS

March 27, 2018

Article 3 rule changes subject of public forum, webcast Thursday

Game and Fish Commission proposes to amend rules for taking, handling of wildlife

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department will host and webcast a public forum on proposed rule changes within Article 3, “Taking and Handling of Wildlife,” at 6 p.m. Thursday at department headquarters (Quail Room), 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix.

The webcast can be viewed at www.azgfd.gov/webcast. Topics of discussion will include proposed changes by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission pertaining to trail cameras, pneumatic weapons, drones and “smart” firearms, among others.

Questions can be asked in-person in the department’s Quail Room, or submitted by e-mail during the forum at questions@azgfd.gov.

All public comments about the proposed rulemaking will be accepted through April 15 by:

• E-mail: rulemaking@azgfd.gov, or jcook@azgfd.gov.
  • U.S. Mail: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn.: Jay Cook, Regional Supervisor FOR6, 7200 E. University Drive, Mesa, AZ 85207.
  • Telephone: Jay Cook, Regional Supervisor FOR6, (480) 324-3540.

The final rule will be presented to the five-member commission at its May 4 meeting at the Mohave County Board of Supervisors Auditorium, 700 W. Beale St., Kingman.

To track the progress of this rule, view the regulatory agenda and all previous Five-year Review Reports, and to learn about any other agency rulemaking matters, visit https://www.azgfd.com/agency/rulemaking/.

Why the 30 pound limit? I didn't think 40 was enough personally.

I was in the same category of thinking.

then watched my daughter have a complete pass through double lung shot on a deer at 65-70 yards arrow went about another 15-20 yards and stuck in the ground.

with todays bows and arrows I think 35lbs would be ok but not sure of 30lbs . In all honesty backin the 80's and a 55lb bow with alum arrows had less penetration than a 40lb bow with carbon arrow today.

I watch alot of tournys and practices with kids shooting 25lbs 30lb bows 35 lbs bows and 40 lbs bows huge difference in the target impact and depth between 35 and 30lbs

I am 100% behind game and fish on the trail camera, drone and satellite image laws. These past couple of decades have really stacked the odds in the hunter’s favor and its time to do little more to protect the tradition of fair chase.

• Like 4

In addition, the Commission and Department have received a number of complaints about persons archery hunting near their private property. The Commission proposes to amend the rule to prohibit the discharge of hybrid device, arrow, or bolt while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident, to increase consistency between statute and rules. This language mirrors statutory language under A.R.S. § 17-309, which prohibits a person from discharging a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge, or building without permission of the owner or resident. This change is in response to customer comments received by the Department.

In addition, the Commission is aware confusion exists as to what distance constitutes "one-fourth mile" and "one-half mile." The Commission proposes to clarify this distance by also referencing this distance in yards (440 or 880, as applicable) to reduce regulatory uncertainty. This change is in response to customer comments received by the Department

I'm good with the camera rule. It will help bring back some mystery to the sport, and some much needed skills to the sport. I've used cameras myself and don't mind the sacrifice of loosing the privelage of using them. Goimg to be hard to not run them but it's kinda what's needed to round out the skill set of your average Hunter, and especially the younger generation of hunters who pretty much depend on them now a days.

A lot of our bucks have come from good ole glassing but some have come from cams and the advantage that comes with running them. Now it will be critical on cam placement since man made water is out.

The best thing for the cams being restricted is the strip. It's become as big of a joke as it could be up there and most deer don't stand a chance with it looking like Hollywood on every water. It's almost embarrassing for hunters when a non Hunter walks anywhere near a trick tank up there. Now that's abkut to disappear It will even out the chances for guys that aren't running 75 plus cams and won't make a guy feel like he's missing out cause he can't run that many. Makes it more relaxing for all involved and evens out the playing field. This is good for the sport for sure.

• Like 2

I acknowledge that I have one camera set-up I will need to pull cams. I have a set-up that has salt lick and blind in addition to the cams. I have done a lot of work on the set-up and it has paid off as it has daily activity with elk and deer.

In that scenario, it is an open and shut case. The trail cam plus salt and blind leaves no room for imagination about the intended purpose. (meaning: intended for taking of game)

So, what I will do is pull the cams from that area. The cam site is 330 yards from the nearest tank. I'll take those cams and locate them on trails outside the 1/4 mile radius.

All my other cams are already compliant.

In the end, I'll still run six to a dozen cams at a time, but it's going to be more work.

• Like 1

Based on what was said last night if you set up cams around the legal area near water and take an animal you can still be cited for use in taking of game. I think the new law will be using any trail camera to take game so no matter if you have it on a wallow with salt it would still be illegal for taking game. It would be legal for observing wildlife. I guess we will know the actual law soon.

Generally speaking I’m not a big fan of new/more laws, but something has to be done to increase opportunity. If we can’t recruit new hunters the sport will never survive and how are you supposed to recruit new hunters in a state that takes 10 bonus points to shoot anything with antlers? I’ve read enough griping on this site and others about ‘point creep’ and draw odds to feel like it’s pretty generally accepted it’s getting harder and harder to get any tag much less good ones. Only way that’s going to change is if they start making moves to reduce success rates so they can allow more tags to go out.

No matter what they do they’re going to piss some people off and get flamed over it.

I knew this would come one day. I am not against cameras or people who use them to scout. I do not use them only cause my personal opinion is having something scout for me while sitting at home is not my cup of tea. But like I said I am not against cameras for those of you who use them.