LovinthehuntAz

19a Az first hunt !

Wanting to know if anyone had any info about the Perkins Ranch I have a spot on the Ranch this year ! Just wanting to see if anyones has hunted it in the past ! Pros cons !

Pros - You have access to a property that many others do not.

Your hunt is first so you get pick of the litter.

Cons - There are not always big bucks in there. In which case you will have to go off ranch and your money went down the toilet.

Not sure how many permits they are selling this year, but in years past its felt a little crowded in there at times.

It costs $1200+

Congrats thats a great tag and you should have a chance at some great bucks.

• Like 2

I drew the tag in 2010 and 2016. I paid for access both times. 2010 I killed my buck on there and it had a majority of the big bucks on the unit in there. 2016 I never stepped foot on the ranch. If youve got the cash it cant hurt. I dont think they sell out the slots like they used to so you might be ok to wait and scout and if needed pay for it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info ! Will do my scouting on ranch and on public land also ! Should be a action packed hunt either way ! Will keep this updated as time gets closer and scouting begins !

^^^ and was hot aF. cattle murdered our blinds. good luck!

Yes - if you put up a ground blind be sure there is wire fence 8 feet away from blind in full circle - had 2 brand new blinds demolished - went thru 8 bottles of water - ended up shooting a BOONER of course but spent some money on blinds!! Good Luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info ! Will do my scouting on ranch and on public land also ! Should be a action packed hunt either way ! Will keep this updated as time gets closer and scouting begins !

Personally, I think you should only scout on the ranch as I won't be spending the cash and would rather you hunt there as opposed to public land! Also, if you would please, when you see good bucks, try something new and unexpected... walking straight at them when you have public land right behind them. It will confuse them so much that they will just stand there and let you walk up to within good bow range as nobody ever does it! ...& if by some odd chance it doesn't work for you on any given day, it may help others so it's a win-win!

;)

All kidding aside, best of luck!

My friend had that tag in 1989. Perkins wanted $1000.00 Saw 2 goats over 90 on his ranch. We ended up on the Granite Dells Ranch. We stopped in at the Ranch House and met Jay Wilkinson. He let us hunt the ranch for free. I think he has passed and his wife or daughter have the ranch. Worth a try there. We took this 89 incher there. Lots of checkerboard state land in there also. Good Huntingpost-10954-0-16311700-1527643169_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Had it all, MPH, mass, prongs, and hooks !