Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Best monologue I haven't heard all day.

Some things are better left unsaid....

Yesterday and today at Woods Canyon Lake. Arrived both days about 5:50AM and had the lake pretty much to myself. Spoke at length with a guy yesterday who was there to observe the Eagle nest. He said there was one egg in it. It was his second day on the job so I shared my past knowledge of the eagles I have seen over the years and there interactions with the Ospreys, which he hoped to observe and document.

I told him if he had been there earlier he could have watched one swooping constantly on some ducks but they kept diving.

It took two hours to get a limit yesterday. Five Rainbow and one Tiger which was caught on Power Eggs as were four of the Rainbows. One took a Gold Castmaster and went aerial four times. Today I was done right at 6:50, all Rainbows. Biggest was 12 1/2" all holdovers, not like last year when G&F decided to stock the lake with 6-8" fish the week before the Forest Service opened up the road. Yesterday was a bit cooler, enough so that ice formed on the eyelits. This morning was a few degrees warmer but it stayed overcast until I left at about 7:30. The Store is open and the Spillway Campground has all the asphalt removed including the pull in's.

post-3883-0-50534900-1522617963_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-13310000-1522618023_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-68585700-1522618054_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-29771100-1522618092_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-54587400-1522618121_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job!!! What were you guys using for bait?

Nice job!!! What were you guys using for bait?

Fluorescent Yellow Garlic Scent Power Eggs with a dab of Mike'sTrout Gel Scent. Fished two feet off the bottom, medium size single split shot. 4 and 6 pound PLINE Floroclear with a single GamaKatsu #8 Baitholder hook. I use both Floroclear clear and yellow florescent. Both seem to work as good but the clear is really hard to see when you are fighting a fish. These hooks are very sharp and hold an edge. I have caught probbaly over 100 fish with some of these hooks and they are still sharp enough to stick you when you least expect it. I use Pfleuger and Shimano Ultra-light reels with Shimano and Shakespeare rods between 4'8" and 5'. These seem to work well for me and I have used them to teach young kids how to fish as they are light and manueverable and easy to master. Yet the reels are very smooth and the rods cast well but are just about right for fish of this size. Casting about 40' off the bank into about 10' of water.

There was very little action on the surface, probably since there aren't any insects yet. Fish were in great condition and healthy but none of them had much of anything in their gut. Water is very clear since there has been zero runoff. Now is the time to go if you can find the time before it gets stocked. Fish averaged 8oz each. Yesterdays catch was 2.12oz and today was 2.15oz gutted.