swwildlife

19A questions, help

my son Cody drew an Antelope tag this year. the first season archery tag. we went up to scout last weekend and we were very disappointed in what we found. he knew it would be tough to find places to hunt but not this tough. we were using a few different map sources Gaia, on X, habimaps. most of the roads that are on the maps either didnt exist or were gated and locked. there were even gates across state lands that were locked. if anyone has any info for us to start, we would appreciate it.

There is lots of land to hunt right behind those locked gates. Just walk in and leave the vehicle at the gate. As long as the gate isnt posted you are just fine.

Fain Ranch and Deep Well both typically allow walk in access without even needing to contact them.

It will be a great hunt. Good luck!

• Like 5

Signs are being posted on one owner's "property" as of yesterday stating no hunting etc. on land that a week ago had no signage.  I also found out that this particular owner is only allowing 2 people to hunt an entire season on 26 square miles of land that they effectively control...  

Has anyone EVER had 13 square miles to hunt knowing you have it all to yourself? Are you freaking kidding me???

While I'm "thankful" that they are allowing some access, that decision to limit it to only two for an entire season just seems CRAZY to me.  BTW, there is no charge for this access either... 

I can only hope that those two individuals hunt on that land (& for the most part only) instead of making it harder for the rest of us on limited state land etc.  I get that they have the right to hunt on state land too, but in this particular situation, in this particular unit, when someone "wins a lottery" please have the decency to understand where the rest are coming from (regarding hunting pressure in a very limited area).

my two cents...

46 minutes ago, 1uofacat said:

Signs are being posted on one owner's "property" as of yesterday stating no hunting etc. on land that a week ago had no signage.  I also found out that this particular owner is only allowing 2 people to hunt an entire season on 26 square miles of land that they effectively control...  

Has anyone EVER had 13 square miles to hunt knowing you have it all to yourself? Are you freaking kidding me???

While I'm "thankful" that they are allowing some access, that decision to limit it to only two for an entire season just seems CRAZY to me.  BTW, there is no charge for this access either... 

I can only hope that those two individuals hunt on that land (& for the most part only) instead of making it harder for the rest of us on limited state land etc.  I get that they have the right to hunt on state land too, but in this particular situation, in this particular unit, when someone "wins a lottery" please have the decency to understand where the rest are coming from (regarding hunting pressure in a very limited area).

my two cents...

Which "property" is that? Just curious...

The open grassland in 19a is not the only place to find antelope.