swwildlife

19A questions, help

I watched 2 planes collide while hunting an archery antelope about 15yrs ago, me and my son were the first to the planes , not good , sad day. Haven't hunted there since. My son still flinched when a sessna  or moony flies over, is Jayson still the ranch manager?

17 hours ago, Flatlander said:

When did Fain start posting their land?

they didn't, but once they tell you (as they did me) that will hold up in court... or so I'm told.  Also, since it had been established I knew exactly where I was... (with Onx)

12 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I watched 2 planes collide while hunting an archery antelope about 15yrs ago, me and my son were the first to the planes , not good , sad day. Haven't hunted there since. My son still flinched when a sessna  or moony flies over, is Jayson still the ranch manager?

No, and that's the problem.  The new ranch manager is Brent, son's name is Clancy.

I've been the first at a fatality on a snow-covered highway w/kids in the car... not a pretty site.  We stayed there until units arrived, which was a little while.  Thankfully the FD/state police (in Vermont) let us leave/drive through before they started extracting... it was midnight, but the kids were wide awake and very curious...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1uofacat said:

Well, I did not tag a goat, but finally did get a shot on the last day (spot/stalk).  There's a lot of water in 19A now due to all the rain, including more that was added the first 3 days of the first hunt, so sitting water was basically worse than a crap shoot.  Also, the bucks were not quite in the rut and using decoys even after getting as close as possible did not work for myself and a few others that I met in the field.

BTW, two comments that anyone hunting antelope in 19A needs to know:

1)  The Fain Ranch does not allow hunting on their property 

2)  Corner Hopping IS LEGAL in Arizona

I had a run-in with the Fain ranch manager's son on Sunday.  It's a long story, but basically he blew my afternoon hunt trying to run me off of state land because I "corner hopped" to get there.  His opinion was corner hopping was not legal in Arizona.  Afterwards, the G&F got involved and basically set him straight that; 1) corner hopping in AZ is legal as there is no law saying it is not, nor has there ever been any court case in this regards, and 2) any hunter that corner hops on state land has every right to hunt on state land, regardless of adjacent private property owner's wishes.  BTW, hats off to Virginia who is the WM for the unit, she's a great advocate and supporter of what we do!

That said, he pretty much screwed up an afternoon hunt, and given we only have seven days, it hurt some. 

I heard repeatedly that in the past the ranch manager didn't mind people hunting on the Fain Ranch, but the current ranch manager won't allow it.

Plan accordingly...

Not to get off subject but I have had the same problem on Kenson  ranch in 17a. Tinny Kenson owns a few acres backed up to forest service and convinced forest service to close the quad trail circumventing his ranch onto state and forest land he leases. His daughter tried telling my friend he was on "their" land about a mile into the forest. 

If corner crossing is legal, why can't we access the state trust land in unit 10 on the ranch without buying a permit?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big Browns said:

If corner crossing is legal, why can't we access the state trust land in unit 10 on the ranch without buying a permit?

USDA has more power than game and fish and ranchers usually get what they want. That and the Navajo nation...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Explorer said:

USDA has more power than game and fish and ranchers usually get what they want. That and the Navajo nation...

Let me correct that, USDA covers forest land, not state land. Sounds like we are not voting for a single politician in az that stands for hunters rights.

• Like 1

F -Clancy,  Jayson was bad butt.. Must be nice to use hunters money to stock your leased land with goats. The game and fish should catch and relocate this goats on lands that we can hunt. And no money for the ahole rancheros, ya I said it Aholes

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 12:48 PM, Big Browns said:

Adam are you sure that corner hopping is legal in AZ?

If you get onXmaps, and there is public land in there, it is legal to hunt.  And it is illegal for anyone to keep you off any public roads that lead to it.

• Like 3

Keep the Sheriff’s number handy and know the law. 

Be polite to overzealous land-leasers, but call the fuzz if needed 

• Like 1

Just spent the weekend up in Unit 19A. Private ranches I contacted offering no access, paid or otherwise. Gonna be tough for those who haven't done a lot of scouting to find bucks off the private. Ranchers have been very polite though when I spoke with them.

We saw only TWO deer the entire weekend, a doe and spike buck. Put a lot of miles on looking for public lands and antelope...

Gonna be a tough one this year I think!

Didn't see and real "boomers" either on private or public lands.

Edited by Capt. Don Martin
forgot stuff

On 4/3/2018 at 4:50 PM, swwildlife said:

my son Cody drew an Antelope tag this year. the first season archery tag. we went up to scout last weekend and we were very disappointed in what we found. he knew it would be tough to find places to hunt but not this tough. we were using a few different map sources Gaia, on X, habimaps. most of the roads that are on the maps either didnt exist or were gated and locked. there were even gates across state lands that were locked. if anyone has any info for us to start, we would appreciate it.

On 4/3/2018 at 4:50 PM, swwildlife said:

my son Cody drew an Antelope tag this year. the first season archery tag. we went up to scout last weekend and we were very disappointed in what we found. he knew it would be tough to find places to hunt but not this tough. we were using a few different map sources Gaia, on X, habimaps. most of the roads that are on the maps either didnt exist or were gated and locked. there were even gates across state lands that were locked. if anyone has any info for us to start, we would appreciate it.

Jim how did it go?