Roughneck91

AZGFD to ban all trail cameras near developed water sources

Gents,

It appears AZGFD is proposing a rule change to R12-4-303 (Unlawful Devices or Ammunition) that will prohibit the use of a trail camera of any kind within 1/4 mile (440 yards) of a developed water source. A developed water source includes any man made structure or placed container capable of holding water such as stock tanks, holding ponds, water catchments etc. The definition of a developed water source is very broad and could technically apply to water run-off catchments constructed by ranchers a hundred years ago. Those of you that place trail cams on a wallow, water catchment (even you you make yourself) or a cattle tank will now be breaking the law and subject to fines and license revocation. It will fall under the category of using an illegal device for the purpose of taking wildlife which if convicted is a misdemeanor offense subject to a $750 fine and/or 4 months in jail (per offense) and could result in a 5 year suspension of your hunting license. The way the proposed rule is written is that it will be in effect all year long, not just during the hunting season. So if you own property and monitor your water sources or want to do some pre-season scouting by placing cameras over your favorite tank or wallow to see what's in the area, you'll be in violation.

This rule change is currently in the comment period until April 15th, the game and fish commissioners will then review the rules at their May 4th meeting. Commission approved rules will be forwarded to the Governor's Council on regulatory review for approval and may go into effect for the 2019-2020 hunting season.

If you want to view the presentation of all of the proposed rules, here's the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6O0zBVSq_A&feature=youtu.be

All public comments about the proposed rule making can be made by the following methods:

• E-mail: rulemaking@azgfd.gov, or jcook@azgfd.gov.
  • U.S. Mail: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn.: Jay Cook, Regional Supervisor FOR6, 7200 E. University Drive, Mesa, AZ 85207.
  • Telephone: Jay Cook, Regional Supervisor FOR6, (480) 324-3540.

post-15235-0-25207200-1522815829_thumb.jpg

post-15235-0-17874700-1522815837_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the voices of "hunters against hunters" are the voices that are winning the day. ATVs are the biggest violators endangering hunter access and rights, but offer incarceration for taking pictures. Hmmmm?

• Like 3

The way it sounded if you look at somebody else's images then that constitutes aiding in the take. Who get the ticket the aidee or aider? LOL

Wait.....are they saying trail cams give you aids?

and what is a "live action trail camera".

Is there such a thing as a dead action camera?

This absolutely works to divide and conquer hunters, I'm stunned that so many hunters are coming out in support of additional rules that further restricting our outdoor activities. I emailed commissioner Jim Zieler and got a nasty response about how trail cameras are unethical and that I needed to read the G&F brochure on hunting ethics. If our commissioners way of thinking is that anything they don't like is unethical and needs to be banned then the war has already been lost.

• Like 6

Taking pictures of animals is unethical? All it does is let you know what animals might, and I stress might, be around. It never guarantees you will see them.

This absolutely works to divide and conquer hunters, I'm stunned that so many hunters are coming out in support of additional rules that further restricting our outdoor activities. I emailed commissioner Jim Zieler and got a nasty response about how trail cameras are unethical and that I needed to read the G&F brochure on hunting ethics. If our commissioners way of thinking is that anything they don't like is unethical and needs to be banned then the war has already been lost.

Can you post the email?

Can you post the email?

YES I would like to see a comment from a commissioner as I never get one in return from any of them. It seems to me that they are just puppets of the carefree cabal.

below is the response I received

Jim Zieler <JZieler@azgfd.gov>
Mar 29 (7 days ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me, Kent
cleardot.gif
Good morning Chris-

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input on the use of trail cameras. I would like to address a couple of comments you made in your email. As far as implementing restrictions without scientific reasoning, let me explain that evaluating the use of trail cameras and other advancing forms of technology as they relate to Fair Chase is a responsibility of the Department and Commission, and one we do not take lightly. This is certainly not a knee-jerk reaction to a non-existent problem and I certainly am not looking for opportunities to implement additional restrictions on outdoorsmen as you stated in your email. I recognize there is some opposition to the rule change on the use of trail cameras but hope you understand this came up as a Fair Chase issue that, due to the advancement and availability of technology, the use of trail cameras to pursue and take wildlife has risen to such a level that it demanded the attention of our Fair Chase Committee. As I stated, we have a responsibility to address these issues as they begin to push the boundaries of what is accepted as Fair Chase. That is how this issue came about. I would strongly encourage you to refer to our website or the section in our hunting regulations called: "Fair Chase: Hunt Hard, Hunt Fair." You will find that there are rules with respect to ethical hunting practices and not giving hunters an unfair advantage. Support of Fair Chase by our sportsmen and the public is important to the survival of hunting and fishing in Arizona.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Jim Zieler, Commissioner