Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

Gila county pushing forest service to close forest

Well Tommy Martin of Gila County is pushing the forest service to close tonto national forest do to extreme fire danger. I agree with this do to the fact I live in the middle of the tinder box, and some people come up here and don't give a shoot about the forest we all use. So here's the question if they close the forest now does this mean no turkey season, what are your thoughts.

Unfortunately closed means no Turkey season. Also don't think game and fish gives refunds in cases like that. The forest service is under pressure from a lot of business owners and other groups to keep the forest open because they know how much money is lost when people can't come up and camp and hunt etc. People have suggested it to the Apache sitgreaves and they straight up said they are keeping it open because of hurting local economies and only shut it down in the most extreme cases. Well I'd say one of the driest winters on record is pretty extreme. Hoping the forest doesn't burn up just to keep local businesses happy.

• Like 1

Well Tommy Martin of Gila County is pushing the forest service to close tonto national forest do to extreme fire danger. I agree with this do to the fact I live in the middle of the tinder box, and some people come up here and don't give a shoot about the forest we all use. So here's the question if they close the forest now does this mean no turkey season, what are your thoughts.

Right there with you Dennis. Our property back the national forest and when these idiots think they need a camp fire when its 70 degrees its just a recipe for disaster. Im sure when this is brought in front or the administration and they deny it for economic reasons and then one erupts and takes out a community its ground for class action. Most of these citidiots just dont understand how dry it is and just how fast it can go up.
  • Like 1

Right there with you Dennis. Our property back the national forest and when these idiots think they need a camp fire when its 70 degrees its just a recipe for disaster. Im sure when this is brought in front or the administration and they deny it for economic reasons and then one erupts and takes out a community its ground for class action. Most of these citidiots just dont understand how dry it is and just how fast it can go up.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm not sure how that would be grounds for a class action suit. Just because there is a group of folks impacted, does not automatically qualify it for class action. Seems like the action in that case should be against the perpetrator (if man caused), as opposed to the government agency that didn't close the national forest and protect homes close the forest.

In this 'lawsuit and sue happy' society though, who knows.... :wacko:

For the record, if the fire danger is deemed high enough I think they should definitely close it! (They've done that before, right? I mean, I think there is precedence...) Turkey season, fishing season, whatever.

S.

Closed means closed. This happened one year over here by Datil. Almost didn't get to go elk hunting because the forest was closed but luckily the monsoon rains hit before elk season and it reopened. Signs everywhere and locked gates. I sure wasn't going to push my luck and get caught in there when it was closed. The good news was it wasn't a wasted trip as we went to Pie Town.

Your funny, maybe we will be like cali if we burn the government will gives use 8 billion dollars

Shoot, cmon guys this is the first spring bird tag in 3 years for me... don't lock the gate yet.

Actually, I wonder how many government officials have weighed the long term affects. Sure it might be bad for the economy to close the forest for the summer. But wouldn't it be worse to lose the resources for 20 years if the fire wipes out everything and their isn't a successful timber stand for decades?

I got a whole bunch of unfilled tags in the gearbox at the garage. I would gladly give up this spring hunt to know that some idiot with a sparkler isn't going to burn the state to the ground.

• Like 3

You won't get the hunt but they'll still start the fires some people have no rules..

Didnt they close the Forrest a few times over the last 10 years? Hunting and fishing was still legal and you could only use the roads that were open. there was no camp fires allow( and maybe no camping as well) and you just had to hike in to hunt. I was thinking that was kiabab Forrest like 5 years ago??

On a side note we do get alot of forrest fires around turkey season from campers. we had talked about that a bunch of years ago on another website. basically turkey season meant the start of fire season.