Sign in to follow this  
melvin

what type of weapon is best for hunting turkey? I'm curious

Do you guys use to hunt Turkeys?

Shotgun? Gauge?

Rifle? Caliber?

Bow? Type?

How far are you willing to take a shot with the weapon of your choice?

Thanks,

Melvin

Your only choices for the state are shotgun and bow, Rifles are not allowed for turkey hunting anywhere in the state except the San Carlos Reservation, (not sure about other Reservations).

• Like 1

12 gauge shotgun. 3 inch or 3.5 inch magnum. 32 inch barrel. full choke or more. either 4 or 6 shot (or combo) ammo depending on what patterns best in your gun.should be able to shoot out to 50+ yards. I dropped a coyote dead in its tracks at 49 yards with a 3 inch magnum, 32 inch, full choke barrel.

• Like 1

Shotgun would be typical weapon of choice. Some states allow rifles. Archery is generally permitted everywhere.

In the east and south turkey gun trend towards short and compact--- long hikes, tight woods and spending alot of time rested on your knee. I've used 12ga 3 1/2 down to 20ga 2 3/4". Get the bird within range and they will do the trick. I prefer federal heavyweight #6 or hevi-shot #6 for pattern density. I've also had good results (on the pattern board and on birds) with the Winchester Longbeard XR in 12ga.

all great advise ^^^ - everyone will be different -

typically 12ga. shotgun- shooting 3 in shells - is the most commonly used by adults. there are all types of ammo/ turkey loads - from $5 box to $5 a shell

4-6 birdshot is adequate , buy anyplace.

want the newst "best" number shot pellets down range at 50 yrds. get the new federal sst. its a 7 or 9 shot that doubles the number of killing pellets at 50 yrds.! like $45 for a box of 5. specifically designed for maximum down range killing power

PATTERN whatever load you are going to use all shotguns shoot different.

• Like 1

220 swift with 55gr vmax

Not here. 22 Centerfire hasn't been legal for a very long time, maybe since the mid 90's.