Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

How many Decades ?

My first kill was in the late 90's 36b Dec hunt. Hit him once chasing a doe bit just winged him he came out in the open broadside at about 275 yards drilled him in the neck right where the skull joins. He dropped like a rock.....a nice little 3x2 .....i was aiming for the heart! Skipped the 2000's due to deployments and living elsewhere killed again in 2004 or so. Hopefully I draw another tag this decade!

1976 just above peppersauce cg.

1998 buenos aires nwr

helped on many bucks in the 1990's.

glassed hundreds of bucks since and took zero. go figure.

lee

I'm surprised all you old timers even know how to use the internets. What 8 track were you listening to the day you took your first buck?

We didn't road hunt back then.....lol

But it was johny cash. Burning Ring of Fire....

I'm surprised all you old timers even know how to use the internets. What 8 track were you listening to the day you took your first buck?

hang on sloopy , sloopy hang on!

donna summer-summer fever 8-track

spent most of the day crawling around in peppersauce cave without a flashlight-came out of a wormhole 500' above the entrance.

that night at dinner mom said dont feed that dang stray cat at the campground-i fed it a piece of steak and it sunk its fangs into me and i expected to die of rabies but didn't say a word. sweet stupid sixteen...

lee

Me, early 70's.

Can you make the date out on dad's tag?

post-11051-0-19395600-1523086562_thumb.jpg

I started hunting whitetails in Arizona in the early 60's and finally killed my first in 1967. Hunting equipment has changed more than music in the last 50 years. In 67, I had a canteen and a buck knife on my hip, an apple and a BP+J in my pocket and a Remington 700 with Weaver K4 on my shoulder. I was good for the day. Fast forward 50 years to the buck that I killed last December. My son and I had 2 sets of 10x binoculars, 2 set of 15x binoculars, 2 tripods, one big spotting scope, 2 laser rangefinders, 2 gps', 2 cell phones one custom Remington 700 with a big old Nightforce scope, several headlamps plus lots of water and groceries. All this stuffed into two state of the art packs with internal frames and we were ready.

While I miss the simplicity of 50 years ago, I sure do enjoy watching deer undisturbed at long distances with modern optics. A side benefit is that it keeps you in shape just packing all your gear around!

• Like 1

I started hunting whitetails in Arizona in the early 60's and finally killed my first in 1967. Hunting equipment has changed more than music in the last 50 years. In 67, I had a canteen and a buck knife on my hip, an apple and a BP+J in my pocket and a Remington 700 with Weaver K4 on my shoulder. I was good for the day. Fast forward 50 years to the buck that I killed last December. My son and I had 2 sets of 10x binoculars, 2 set of 15x binoculars, 2 tripods, one big spotting scope, 2 laser rangefinders, 2 gps', 2 cell phones one custom Remington 700 with a big old Nightforce scope, several headlamps plus lots of water and groceries. All this stuffed into two state of the art packs with internal frames and we were ready.

While I miss the simplicity of 50 years ago, I sure do enjoy watching deer undisturbed at long distances with modern optics. A side benefit is that it keeps you in shape just packing all your gear around!

Too funny Old Buck. That sounds like a description of many of us now :) I didn't even start chasing WT until the mid 80s

I like it. Took my first deer on my 4th hunt in 1975, deer taken with 30-06 SPFD 03 built between the wars (WWI &WWII) Lyman 4X scope was 10 years older than I was. 8 tracks were pretty new at the time of my first hunt.

Good memories --- have chased the ghost since the 70 ' s . You all out there if you recall being the only folks out in the cold dark days of fall and your friends thought you were nuts will understand .

Would not change anything--biggest thrill was putting hands on a magnificent deer and knowing you had to work for it--back in the day .

Shot my first mule deer at age12 in 1948 on the hillside above where they eventually built Lynx Canyon Lake, but did not hunt a whitetail until November 1954 when I moved to Tucson from Yuma to attend the UA.

I like to eat venison and trophy hunting was never my thing, so I tagged a lot of bucks over the years-- including several "good" ones that came my way.

Pretty sure I've killed whitetails in every decade in our state until about 2010 or so when age and health problems took over. I shot mule deer for a couple of years after that, and brought home a limit of five Texas Hill Country whitetails five years ago, but my deer hunting days ended when COPD made walking more than 30-40 yards without sitting and resting very difficult.

I drew a cow elk tag for an area around our cabin this year and plan to fill it on my 81st birthday using a CHAMP permit by sitting over a little spring I know about. That's the plan, anyway.

I've always said I hunted because I must, and that I would hunt until I couldn't. Well, "couldn't" has come sooner than I would have liked.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

I like it. Took my first deer on my 4th hunt in 1975, deer taken with 30-06 SPFD 03 built between the wars (WWI &WWII) Lyman 4X scope was 10 years older than I was. 8 tracks were pretty new at the time of my first hunt.

I remember 8 Tracks back in 65, sure you're not thinking of casettes?

Shot my first mule deer at age12 in 1948 on the hillside above where they eventually built Lynx Canyon Lake, but did not hunt a whitetail until November 1954 when I moved to Tucson from Yuma to attend the UA.

I like to eat venison and trophy hunting was never my thing, so I tagged a lot of bucks over the years-- including several "good" ones that came my way.

Pretty sure I've killed whitetails in every decade in our state until about 2010 or so when age and health problems took over. I shot mule deer for a couple of years after that, and brought home a limit of five Texas Hill Country whitetails five years ago, but my deer hunting days ended when COPD made walking more than 30-40 yards without sitting and resting very difficult.

I drew a cow elk tag for an area around our cabin this year and plan to fill it on my 81st birthday using a CHAMP permit by sitting over a little spring I know about. That's the plan, anyway.

I've always said I hunted because I must, and that I would hunt until I couldn't. Well, "couldn't" has come sooner than I would have liked.

Bill Quimby

if you need help I have a strong back. I know the unit your cabin is in.

Thanks, muledeerarea 33. Appreciate the offer.

Won't need a strong back if I can drop the elk in her tracks, which I'm hoping to do, and back my truck up to her. A friend and I should be able to load her in 4-5 pieces.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1