Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

I heard about a public meeting tonight in Phoenix where ConserveandProtectAZ.org was going to discuss new unit wide Raffle and Auction tags in order to raise money to help educate the public on issues such as Why its important to keep wildlife management in the hands of professionals like AZGFD. So I wanted to attend to see what this was all about. They allowed me to record the audio on my podcast. Please listen and direct all comments, questions, concerns to info@conserveandprotectaz.org

I went as a Sportsman interested in hearing what was going on and to try to get more educated on the subject. I will try to get more info out there as it presents itself.

Links to the episode 423 Jay Scott Outdoors Podcast

For IOS and Apple users, https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/jay-scott-outdoors-western/id970694987?mt=2

For Android and PC users, http://jayscottoutdoors.podbean.com/?source=pb

Please send comments and questions to info@conserveandprotectaz.org

Yeah that'll be a no from me. They make plenty of money from current draw tags and auction and raffle tags. Take azgfd's new jacked up new truck budget every year and put that towards public education. I like that they want to keep people educated but auctioning off more animals to the highest bidder isnt the answer. I'll pass my thoughts on to them. Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

Yeah that'll be a no from me. They make plenty of money from current draw tags and auction and raffle tags. Take azgfd's new jacked up new truck budget every year and put that towards public education. I like that they want to keep people educated but auctioning off more animals to the highest bidder isnt the answer. I'll pass my thoughts on to them. Thanks for the info.

Agreed...Keep in mind they want to take away the tags from the general draw and sell them to the highest bidder. Many of those tags from premium hunts so the draw odds get even worse for the "Average Joe".

• Like 1

Azsfw and conserve and protect are the same outfit. The same people are trying to pull the same bs, just under a different name. I listened to most of it on my way to work. They are trying to say that they beat the HSUS campaign and this would raise the money they need to beat it next time it comes across. What a joke. They wont say how many tags they want to auction/raffle but hint at 100-150. What people need to realize is that if/when this passes they will be able to change the amount of tags. Shut this down. Look what it did to Utah. This is nothing more than a way for rich guys to buy more of our tags. Who is on the executive board of conserve and protect? I guarantee the names are very similar to the big money guys that are repeat buyers of auction tags.

• Like 3

Azsfw and conserve and protect are the same outfit. The same people are trying to pull the same bs, just under a different name. I listened to most of it on my way to work. They are trying to say that they beat the HSUS campaign and this would raise the money they need to beat it next time it comes across. What a joke. They wont say how many tags they want to auction/raffle but hint at 100-150. What people need to realize is that if/when this passes they will be able to change the amount of tags. Shut this down. Look what it did to Utah. This is nothing more than a way for rich guys to buy more of our tags. Who is on the executive board of conserve and protect? I guarantee the names are very similar to the big money guys that are repeat buyers of auction tags.

Yup. This is directly from the azsfw.org site:

"Out of our joint efforts, Conserve and Protect Arizona was formed, which is a 501©(4) organization whose mission is to protect our conservation heritage. Two of the key components they will concentrate on include educating the non-hunting public on the importance of scientific wildlife management at the AZ Game & Fish Department and securing a legislative remedy to ensure the AZ Game & Fish Department can use science to manage wildlife, and not be subjected to emotion based ballot box management. https://conserveandprotectaz.org/"

Neither site lists the specific names of any of the board members and/or officers (At least if the names are listed, I cannot find them...).

There is a list of 'Members, Affiliates, and Partners', but that is just a big list of basically most of the sportsman/hunting organizations in the state. This left a bad taste in my mouth several years ago. I was a member of the Arizona Deer Association. As a result of the board of ADA supporting AZSFW, the organization is listed as an 'Affiliate/Partner' of AZSFW. I did NOT support that, but just because the board of the ADA shared many common names, the ADA 'supports' AZSFW. It started to smell like cronyism, and really turned me off.

If you do not agree with more public tags going to auction, then make your voice heard!!!! Do not remain silent!

S.

• Like 2

Just Curious if Anybody knows how much money the G&F contributed to fight the latest HSUS big cat ban?

If they were actually worried about raising money for a cause, a $3-$5 price increase on licenses, dedicated to their cause would give them the money they are asking for. This is simply tag grab, once again. The scary thing about it this time, is it sounds like the G&F commissioner is on their side.

• Like 3

They want to get tags in their rich friends hands at our expense. Raise prices across the board as gg85 says.

What can I do?

• Like 1

Pete Cemerillo, Don Peay and SCI are all just pissed we ran them out last time. i wrote every commissioner this morning. Better start rallying the troops again.

• Like 3

Somebody post up the emails of everyone we need to contact please

• Like 1

Somebody post up the emails of everyone we need to contact please

Yes, good idea. Also, IMO, the e-mails we want are the G&F Commissioners! According to the podcast, the commissioners are going to discuss this at their May commission meeting and their May commissioners retreat (whatever that is....).

I'll try to find the e-mail addresses of the commissioners!

S.

I'm sure it will be a deluxe, 5-star retreat funded by peas, gallo, hamberlin, meyer, etc. in the meeting did anyone notice the part where he mentioned they have people on board capable of writing "million dollar checks" that they expect to get donations from? if that doesn't smell funny, what does?

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but Please dont be a douche when you write these people. They are not the ones responsible for forming this organization but they have some power to stop it.

• Like 4