Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

Agree on that. Remind them of the last battle with USO and SFW and how many Arizona sportsmen came out to protest. I asked them to look up Don Peay and the Utah experiment. He uses a lot of the funds to lobby politicians and that will include the commission if they let him. We just need to rally as many people as we can to get to the meetings and to write them.

Ugh.... Just realized the 'Contact Me' link just kind of takes you to a form to fill-out. Good start, but I'll also try to get their e-mail addresses.

S.

You have to fill the form out for each contact then it goes through. The commission meeting May 4th is open to the public but it is Region 3 so have no idea on the location or times. Would be nice to have 20 or so show up just in case Cimerillo is there with his crew.

Just gonna pass on some info from a conversation I had with Dave from AZ deer society. First off I wasnt really too informed about what was going on the last time azsfw tried their tag grab. But it was obviously a bunch of BS they were trying to pull like Utah. According to Dave what they are talking about this time is something completely different. (Not saying it is or isnt until more details come out). He stated they are pushing more towards a number of raffle tags rather than more auction tags. He stated the money from these tags would be strictly for educating the public on the issues we just fought against this year like the mtn lion ban. With the end goal being they inform enough people to try and get an amendment passed to let game and fish be theonly group that can make decisions regarding wildlife management. (Same thing that didnt pass a few years back) plus the money would be used to fight HSUS and other organizations that attempt things like they did this year.

I asked about why not just raising tag prices or license by $5 and he said money from that goes into the general fund and cannot be used to fight political fights. I'd have to research that more but if that's true there would be no point in doing that.

But if what he said is true regarding using the funds to simply protect future hunting and if they are all raffle tags rather than auction tags it may not be a bad idea. But as soon as they suggest taking tags and auctioning them noone is gonna support that. Also was suggested if it was a raffle there would be a 5 or 10 ticket limit per drawing to avoid rich people buying hundreds of tickets.

Biggest thing was that this whole thing would have to be completely transparent. Who runs it, who does the draw, who gets the money, money can only be used for education and fighting groups like HSUS and no group or individual will make a cent off of the money.

There's still a lot of questions regarding all that and the number of tags they are thinking but if its truly the best way to save future hunting and still avoid giving tags to rich people I could support that but I'm not gonna be for or against it until the details come out.

• Like 3

Just Curious if Anybody knows how much money the G&F contributed to fight the latest HSUS big cat ban?

I would say 0 since they couldnt even comment on the issue. They cant get into politics

• Like 3

I bet I did more by getting my Romanian employees to spread the word at their church of 1000 to harass the stinky California hippies gathering signatures on the lion deal. I also think that the raffle can be rigged so all tickets for a $20000 raffle get bought by one donor within minutes. We can fight them now or risk being another Utah. To trust Pete C would be a critical error IMO. Let us know as you get details on what they are proposing.

Conserve and Protect will be at the Sheep Society meeting tonight to discuss the details and bring the Board of Directors up to speed on the goals and objectives of Conserve and Protect. I encourage anyone who is a member of the Sheep Society and would like to learn more to come. The meeting starts at 7:00pm at Embassy Suites, 5001 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale AZ. I am also happy to talk to anyone who needs/wants more info after the meeting.

Andy St. John

602-881-0610

ADBSS President

• Like 3

Just gonna pass on some info from a conversation I had with Dave from AZ deer society. First off I wasnt really too informed about what was going on the last time azsfw tried their tag grab. But it was obviously a bunch of BS they were trying to pull like Utah. According to Dave what they are talking about this time is something completely different. (Not saying it is or isnt until more details come out). He stated they are pushing more towards a number of raffle tags rather than more auction tags. He stated the money from these tags would be strictly for educating the public on the issues we just fought against this year like the mtn lion ban. With the end goal being they inform enough people to try and get an amendment passed to let game and fish be theonly group that can make decisions regarding wildlife management. (Same thing that didnt pass a few years back) plus the money would be used to fight HSUS and other organizations that attempt things like they did this year.

I asked about why not just raising tag prices or license by $5 and he said money from that goes into the general fund and cannot be used to fight political fights. I'd have to research that more but if that's true there would be no point in doing that.

But if what he said is true regarding using the funds to simply protect future hunting and if they are all raffle tags rather than auction tags it may not be a bad idea. But as soon as they suggest taking tags and auctioning them noone is gonna support that. Also was suggested if it was a raffle there would be a 5 or 10 ticket limit per drawing to avoid rich people buying hundreds of tickets.

Biggest thing was that this whole thing would have to be completely transparent. Who runs it, who does the draw, who gets the money, money can only be used for education and fighting groups like HSUS and no group or individual will make a cent off of the money.

There's still a lot of questions regarding all that and the number of tags they are thinking but if its truly the best way to save future hunting and still avoid giving tags to rich people I could support that but I'm not gonna be for or against it until the details come out.

If a wolf wearing a sheep's skin bites you, then comes back a few years later wearing a different skin, would you trust it? No, it is still a the same wolf. the people pushing this agenda are 100% the same folks that tried to pass it last time. Do you think their agenda has changed? how about making people buy a "conservation" or "habitat stamp" like a lot of states do? that would be a separate fund.

• Like 1

Just Curious if Anybody knows how much money the G&F contributed to fight the latest HSUS big cat ban?

I would say 0 since they couldnt even comment on the issue. They cant get into politics
Exactly...The very agency responsible for managing wildlife in this state couldnt speak out or take a position on a proposed band against mountain lion hunting from the HSUS ....think about that for a bit...that is scary
  • Like 3

Guys-

I have a follow question and answer session with Pete Cimallero today about last nights meeting in which you can hear on episode 423 of my podcast. I have a bunch of questions to ask him. If you have a specific question that you would like answered please post them here and I will do my best to get all of the questions answered. I will then be posting our conversation in its entirety on my podcast so that we call all try to be informed as possible. I would ask all Sportsman to hear all of the facts and then form and make an informed decision. At the meeting last night, they were adamant that they want this to be completely transparent and open for discussion among Sportsman unlike the last thing similar to this in 2012. I for one understand as Sportsman that we are facing numbers of issues from many people who want to see our heritage of hunting going away. Lets get all of the facts then each individual can make their mind up. I was sick to see Grizzly Bear hunting in BC go away just by it getting on the ballot. I'm afraid we could easily see something similar happen in our near future. There will be additional meetings on this where the public sportsman is encouraged to come. Last night their was only 12 sportsman who showed up. I'm trying to get as much info out to your guys as possible.

Please post your specific questions and I will do my best to get them all answered

• Like 4

If there is the ability to make a separate fund like a habitat or conservation stamp I'm all for that rather than raffling tags off. As long as that fund can go towards the things we need like fighting HSUS. Like I said I wasnt really old enough the last time azsfw did their thing so I need to do more research regarding who was involved with all that last time. According to Dave there are a few of those guys on the board that were involved with azsfw last time but there are many more guys from other organizations like AZ elk society and deer association that wouldn't let those guys push those ideas through. Who knows though.

• Like 1

Jay, ask them if the making a separate fund like habitat stamp would be possible to get the money they want. We are all worried about losing hunting privileges from HSUS and animal rights groups but just as worried about losing hunting privileges to rich guys.

• Like 7

That's good input. I appreciate Dave's perspective.

That being said, I'm not sure if you listened to the podcast or not, but Pete ABSOLUTELY stated 'auction' tags. The auction tags were veiled in the raffle tags.... He said something like: "The 'great majority' would be raffle tags...". Don't know what the definition of 'great majority' is, as it is all relative to the overall population of tags. He also compared it to the 'Utah model', and if you have followed that stuff, there are many many people who are not at all happy about it. Constant feeling of cronyism and special interests....