Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

Who is Conserve and Protect Arizona? It was formed by a small group of sportsmen with financial help from some of the states most well known sportsmen conservation organizations. The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, Arizona Elk Society, Arizona Deer Association, Arizona Antelope Foundation, Yuma Valley Rod and Gun Club, Arizona Bowhunters Association and the Arizona Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, and some houndsmen and women, all made contributions.

This is the part that I keep thinking about. I can't bash these orgs too much because they did a lot more than me towards wildlife last year. In order for those orgs to give cash to ConserveandProtect, it must be important. Just my opinion, I speak for myself. I'm sure lots of people here volunteered and donated all kinds of money to fight anti hunters last year. I drop a few hundred dollars when I'm invited to a banquet where I can win something.

I keep hearing that all the money will go directly to azgfd. But if the azgfd cant spend funds on political issues then how does this make sense?

• Like 2

Here is an update from our meeting last night.

I'll give you all a little background and I hope it helps clarify.

When we(ADBSS) and other groups learned the HSUS was going to file for the petition to get the cat hunting ban on the ballot we took action. The plan to combat the initiative was developed by the group of folks that are now on the board of Conserve and Protect. Conserve and Protect was not even an organization when this all came down the pipe many months ago, it was simply a group of guys from miscellaneous organizations putting together a plan to fight HSUS. We, along with some other groups agreed to help with the financial burden of that initial plan. When we had to take action in order to try and fight, we did, and we won. Conserve and Protect hadn't even been formed, but the guys that developed the plan now sit on the board of C&P. . Make no mistake, the folks that now are on the board of C&P had an instrumental part in fighting and beating HSUS.

Moving to today....

Conserve and Protect was just officially(paperwork finalized) started a few weeks, maybe a month ago, not exactly sure. They have now formed their board and are putting together the plan for what's next. They are truly a work in progress and we intend to be engaged in that conversation. They came to our board meeting last night to inform us where they are and what the next step is.

Some organizations have financially committed to the next step but we did not feel as a board that we had enough information and the next step is still in the planning stages. We as a board understand the importance of what comes next. We as a collective group of hunters cannot be as unprepared to fight HSUS or other groups as we recently were. We believe HSUS will be back and we need to have a plan already in place.

I will only briefly try to articulate the next step. It is basically a two stage approach. Please direct your questions about the Conserve and Protect plan to the info email they have provided.

Stage 1 - Raise money to educate the public on the importance of Wildlife Management. This is where the potential use of tag raffles and auctions come in. The funds from the Tags would be used for this cause. The money would not be held within Conserve and Protect rather it would be similar to the HPC process.

Stage 2 - Build resources within Conserve and Protect to fight . Have a group in place that is able to do the things needed that critter groups such as ours cannot do. ADBSS is concerned about Sheep, AES is concerned about Elk, ADA is concerned about deer.... critter groups are not able to fight the "HSUS" type pf political fights, neither is AZGFD.

If you do not know how the plan came together to defeat HSUS, I challenge that you are not involved enough. Only one person showed up last night that doesn't attend the meetings regularly.

Call me with any questions or comments, I hope this information is helpful.

Andy St John

ADBSS President

602-881-0610

I keep hearing that all the money will go directly to azgfd. But if the azgfd cant spend funds on political issues then how does this make sense?

The G&F can't spend money on political issues but an organization like Conserve and Protect could...similar to the way the monies raised from the auction and raffle tags aka HPC funds are use for species specific issues when needed.

Understand this: The HSUS tried to take the North American Wildlife Conservation Model away from the AZG&FD...plain and simple...They tried to do it politically via the ballot box...So the "education" that is talked about would be targeted the 70% of AZ voters that don't hunt or fish...but still vote

• Like 1

Say this goes through and all of these tags become available through raffle or auction, what does it do to the value of the Governors tags? Seems like they won't bring in any money. So our habitat loses.

• Like 1

When we(ADBSS) and other groups learned the HSUS was going to file for the petition to get the cat hunting ban on the ballot we took action. The plan to combat the initiative was developed by the group of folks that are now on the board of Conserve and Protect. Conserve and Protect was not even an organization when this all came down the pipe many months ago, it was simply a group of guys from miscellaneous organizations putting together a plan to fight HSUS. We, along with some other groups agreed to help with the financial burden of that initial plan. When we had to take action in order to try and fight, we did, and we won. Conserve and Protect hadn't even been formed, but the guys that developed the plan now sit on the board of C&P. . Make no mistake, the folks that now are on the board of C&P had an instrumental part in fighting and beating HSUS.

Moving to today....

Conserve and Protect was just officially(paperwork finalized) started a few weeks, maybe a month ago, not exactly sure. They have now formed their board and are putting together the plan for what's next. They are truly a work in progress and we intend to be engaged in that conversation. They came to our board meeting last night to inform us where they are and what the next step is.

Some organizations have financially committed to the next step but we did not feel as a board that we had enough information and the next step is still in the planning stages. We as a board understand the importance of what comes next. We as a collective group of hunters cannot be as unprepared to fight HSUS or other groups as we recently were. We believe HSUS will be back and we need to have a plan already in place.

I will only briefly try to articulate the next step. It is basically a two stage approach. Please direct your questions about the Conserve and Protect plan to the info email they have provided.

Stage 1 - Raise money to educate the public on the importance of Wildlife Management. This is where the potential use of tag raffles and auctions come in. The funds from the Tags would be used for this cause. The money would not be held within Conserve and Protect rather it would be similar to the HPC process.

Stage 2 - Build resources within Conserve and Protect to fight . Have a group in place that is able to do the things needed that critter groups such as ours cannot do. ADBSS is concerned about Sheep, AES is concerned about Elk, ADA is concerned about deer.... critter groups are not able to fight the "HSUS" type pf political fights, neither is AZGFD.

If you do not know how the plan came together to defeat HSUS, I challenge that you are not involved enough. Only one person showed up last night that doesn't attend the meetings regularly.

Andy St John

ADBSS President

602-881-0610

Please stop saying well only one person came to the meeting. It helps when the meeting isnt announced hours before and then the meeting is actually moved forward an hour. If they are wanting transparency their two first meeting have been a secret and that doesn't look good starting off.

I agree that we need a funding source. But we don't need auction tags to get there. Raffling off tags will get the money needed. If there is an auction tag take one of them from the already two per species we have. One can go to the habitat like it does already and one can go to this new fund. As soon as more auction tags are suggested noone is going to want that because that was the whole reason behind the tag grab last time. Now a lot of the same people that did it last time are a part of it again but saying it's different this time. Just hard to trust any of it at this time.

Post up the next meeting that we actually have more than 3 hours to plan to get there and you'll get plenty of people to show up and ask tough questions.

• Like 3

Where did they spend the money to fight HSUS? I never saw one post regarding any of that. I am sure all of the groups would love to get some tags for fundraising. Hunters here just don't trust the idea of selling big game tags that can take a non resident hunter 20 years to get in the system. Utah is the proof that this type of program can ruin a Game and Fish department. Why don't they just start a gofundme or some other vehicle to get donations for this political effort? They boasted that they had people willing and ready to write million dollar checks. If they would do that for the cause then why not get them to put their money where their mouths are? Or are they willing to write those big checks to buy premium big game hunts at will?

• Like 1

bonecollector777 - Our monthly meetings are on the calendar for the next 12 months and have been for the last 12 months. go to adbss.org I do not know when the next conserve and protect meeting will be. One extra person showed up last night, simple fact.... Raffle only is a viable option I would think but I can't speak for C&P.

Say this goes through and all of these tags become available through raffle or auction, what does it do to the value of the Governors tags? Seems like they won't bring in any money. So our habitat loses.

The way I understood it is that the tags that would be auctioned or raffled off would not be 365 day tags they would be the same hunts and dates as the draw tags

bonecollector777 - Our monthly meetings are on the calendar for the next 12 months and have been for the last 12 months. go to adbss.org I do not know when the next conserve and protect meeting will be. One extra person showed up last night, simple fact.... Raffle only is a viable option I would think but I can't speak for C&P.

your adbss meetings are regularly scheduled. I'm talking the meeting they set up just before your meeting. The one they didnt tell anyone about including dave from the ADS.
  • Like 1

post-4673-0-71587300-1523549612_thumb.png

Is this their face book page? I cant find any meeting announcements on the page for their first 2 meetings. Seems like that would be the first place they would post meetings.

Yes that is it GJ

Pretty sneaky not to post the meetings there.

I know I didnt like what I heard on jays podcast. If thats your first time bringing your idea to the public they could of worked on their presentation a little more.

Moving to today....

Andy St John

ADBSS President

602-881-0610

Please stop saying well only one person came to the meeting. It helps when the meeting isnt announced hours before and then the meeting is actually moved forward an hour. If they are wanting transparency their two first meeting have been a secret and that doesn't look good starting off.

I agree that we need a funding source. But we don't need auction tags to get there. Raffling off tags will get the money needed. If there is an auction tag take one of them from the already two per species we have. One can go to the habitat like it does already and one can go to this new fund. As soon as more auction tags are suggested noone is going to want that because that was the whole reason behind the tag grab last time. Now a lot of the same people that did it last time are a part of it again but saying it's different this time. Just hard to trust any of it at this time.

Post up the next meeting that we actually have more than 3 hours to plan to get there and you'll get plenty of people to show up and ask tough questions.

Your on Coues 500 times a day and cant take time to look at their websites for information? What am I missing? You can update your Facebook status and Instagram every minute of the day but cant do a little research into the conservation groups for a sport you so dearly love? Sounds a little narsasistic to me.
  • Like 1