Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

I guess this means bake sale!

21 pages is nearing the end of my attention span. I think most valid points have been made and argued

Or one big raffle tag sale. We could all eat the baked goods while we enjoy the raffle together. That was easy. I don't care how many raffle tags ha e to be taken from the draw. If I can buy tickets for that raffle that's my second chance at drawing for the year. And the odds of drawing wouldn't be much diff than the normal draw odds for coveted tags.

That was easy!!!

• Like 1

Idgaf....Not sure if you got your question answered....My understanding is that the ultimate goal is NOT to have a stand alone event that would incur the fees you speak of. There were a few different options laid out.....If the tags went to the Az super big game raffle any cost would be absorbed by that group and the exact amount the tags raised would go to the fund...If any of the tags went to any of the local wildlife organizations such as the ADA we would handle it just as we do the current auction tags we deal with. That is we as an organization pay all cost involved in the sale of the tag. The entire amount of the tag currently goes to the HPC fund. It is my understanding that any other organization would do the same thing. We were told over and over that any and all monies that that tag brought in would go to the fund, That at no time would a single penny of tag raised money go into anyone’s pocket.....This is my biggest concern....If anyone makes money off any tags...I’m out 100%

Idgaf....Just to be clear.....Regardless of the wildlife organization that sells the auction tag....NOT one penny is used by the organization for anything.....Every penny goes to the HPC fund....All cost to sell the tags are absorbed by that organization.....

If the money from new auction tags goes to the same place as the money from existing auction tags and that money already can't be used the way the new guys want it to be used then why is this needed at all

• Like 2

But azelk you just said the entire amount of the tag sales goes to go and your understanding is that any other organization would do the same thing. None of the money is to be held by the group.

So where does this money go then?

Idgaf....Just to be clear.....Regardless of the wildlife organization that sells the auction tag....NOT one penny is used by the organization for anything.....Every penny goes to the HPC fund....All cost to sell the tags are absorbed by that organization.....

Ok, changing the topic slightly, taking tags is the only option to raise money? Also g&f not very long ago mentioned they had a monetary surplus and even considered briefly lowering the cost of tags. Now they need to create these elitist tags for the general fund? Tell me what I am missing.

Idgaf...I dont work for the Dept nor am I a legal expert, But it has been explained to me that....As it currently sits the AZGFD cant fight a political battle in anyway shape or form. Now can they use and do they use their funds for education YES. ( and thats what the new group wants to use some of it for too )....This is where it gets convoluted....The Dept is VERY limited in what they can say in the realm of education.....For instance they cant say please buy a hunting license and support the dept and the states wildlife....and the list goes on and on....So even if they had an unlimited budget their ability to fight the fight in the manner that would be needed is still not possible. But please dont take my word for it ( I may have my facts wrong ) PLEASE PLEASE contact the Dept and ask for yourself....Please post your findings here for all to see....

Are taking tags the only way to raise the needed funds....I cant answer that.....I would hope if there is another way it would be sought out...What I can tell you is....Aside from are yearly banquet I have been the primary fundraiser for the Az deer association for a very long time. Raising funds is a nightmare....I spend close to 30 hrs a week working on it and we are a small organization....If you remove the funds generated by are banquet are total for the year is less then $60.000 raised....through raffles and donations.....and we do better then most other organizations....

As far as the Dept having a surplus of money and lowering tag fees....I dont ever recall seeing that or hearing about it so I cant speak to it...But again please contact the Dept and post your findings here. But my assumption would be that even if it did it would probably fall back to what they can and cant do.

Now with that said can laws be changed and rules be rewritten too allow they do use the monies in a different fashion....I have been told yes.....But I have also been told its an enormously complex process that involves ALL state agencies ( cant do it for just the Dept )...And that the cost and time involved and the chances of it being successful in the end are slim to none. BUT AGAIN please find out for yourself and post your findings here as I have never deeply looked into it....But I have been briefed by state representatives on the subject....

And to answer someone elses question.....

The monies that go into the HPC fund are generated by the sale and raffle of tags. The monies are held by the Dept...The monies and where and what habitat projects they fund are decided on by a group comprised of representatives from the Dept and every wildlife organization that contributed funds. Im not sure what had to happen to make this possible but I know it was very involved.....It is my understanding that any monies raised from the new concept would be treated in the same manner.....If someone would like to contact the Dept and get further information on how the funds from the HPC work differently from general funds please post your findings here.....

If I have missed anything please let me know and Ill try and find answers.....Gentlemen this is my understanding of the process...If anyone finds something different PLEASE post it and let me know....I am one guy with one small organization I dont have all the answers or know it all....but I will try and get the answers and Im always open to leaning something new...

• Like 1

HPC... this should not be compared to how a war chest to counter political attacks from anti hunters can be used.

Established by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission in 1992, the Arizona Elk Habitat Partnership Committee and affiliated Local Habitat Partnership Committees were created to address and reduce elk and livestock conflicts and to promote partnerships through cooperative projects.

In January 1996, the program concept expanded beyond elk and livestock conflicts and was renamed the Arizona Habitat Partnership Committee to better reflect an ecosystem approach to wildlife habitat management and related projects. Active local Habitat Partnership Committees (HPCs) meet in Springerville-Alpine, Winslow, Show Low, Williams-Flagstaff, Prescott, Yuma, Safford, Tucson, Sierra Vista, and Payson. The Forage Resource Study Group in Coconino County also participates as an affiliate member.

There are currently 13 Local Habitat Partnership Committees (LHPC) and one affiliate member across the state, which comprise the Arizona Habitat Partnership Committee (AHPC). All of these committees focus on putting money on the ground to improve habitat or management for big game species, although many projects benefit other wildlife and livestock as well.

The State HPC Committee meets twice a year.

The program’s primary funding source is Special Big Game License-Tag funds, although the HPC strives to incorporate multiple funding sources to bring the maximum benefit to wildlife. The Commission annually awards 3 special big game license-tags per big game species to nonprofit wildlife conservation organizations that auction or raffle these tags to raise funding that is used to benefit the wildlife species for which the license-tag is issued. The sponsoring wildlife conservation organizations must cover all marketing and administrative costs for the license tag sales, and 100% of the money raised is returned to the state of Arizona.

These funds are allocated through the HPC Program by collaboration between the Department and the wildlife conservation organizations that market and sell the tags. Once project proposals are submitted, the Department coordinates with these wildlife conservation organizations and funding is allocated to the projects that provide the most benefit to big game species in Arizona.

An 'Education' fund, EPC, education partnership committee, could be created with any number of revenue sources.

And available equally to all prospective applicants including the anti's.

And this in no way addresses the issue of funding to combat the anti's in the political arena.

Any funding for political issues cannot come from a public resource it must come from private sources.

This whole thing makes no sense in how it's being proposed.

Kent

• Like 1

There is no way that the Dept has a monetary surplus. If they did why do they pay their most important employees WILDLIFE MANAGERS so poorly? If you heard that there is a monetary surplus then it was by a stuffed shirt in carefree wanting a undeserved raise or buying some bigger chair for them to sit around in.