Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

How many of you on here with all these questions are going to attend the ADA meeting tomorrow evening, to ask your questions and voice your concerns in person? Ringer? WhtMtnHunter? OpticNerd? AzDirtyTaco? GreyGhost85? BoneCollector? Idgaf?

How many of you on here with all these questions are going to attend the ADA meeting tomorrow evening, to ask your questions and voice your concerns in person? Ringer? WhtMtnHunter? OpticNerd? AzDirtyTaco? GreyGhost85? BoneCollector? Idgaf?

Working tomorrow and Wednesday at the fire department unfortunately but have already passed on my questions to a member who will be there asking lots of questions. Are you gonna be there heather?

Hoping for many more meetings to be held so I can make a few.

• Like 1

I plan to attend!

I have read just about everything i have found on this idea so far including the podcasts and this is what Im understanding so far.

Game and fish auctions/raffles off tags to go into a non-political education fund. The funds will be used to raise positive public awareness about the job game and fish does through media outlets. This education may not be political but could have a political impact if a positive light is shined on the Department.

Apparently this education will take a financial burden off conserve and protect when it comes to a political fight because the public is already aware of the great job the department does from the education fund. Hopefully swaying a large number of voters to our side for the next ballot initiative.

Maybe if conserve and protect is successful in pushing their agenda onto the Department, they have donors lined up to thank them with big donations in addition to buying tags in order for them to fund a political fight. Otherwise I dont see the need for conserve and protect.

Im still on the fence but leaning towards a no for me from

What Ive heard so far.

I will be there. Skipping out on my sons baseball practice to make it happen and recruiting friends as we speak.

I will try and answer the question to the best of my knowledge.....I someone finds differently please post it....

I was told this morning that there are two groups......One is conserve and protect and the other one is conserve and Protect Arizona.

I dont know what the difference is !!!!

The one that is proposing this will take the funds generated and give all 100% of the monies raised to the department. Something similar to the HPC model this money would be used to educate the public on the importance of the dept Ect.....there would be a board of individuals much like the HPC board that would with the department decide how to best spend the money

The other group is on their own to raise money to do the other work that needs to be done....Apparently through banquet, non tag raffles private donations and monies donated by the current wildlife organizations Ect....

Can someone PLEASE attend a meeting or make a call and see what they can find out...

So to get it straight NONE of the money generated by the tags will actually be able to fight the political fight that they say we desperately need money to fight? All the money generated by the tags will go to the education side of things and then we just hope the rich guys donate a bunch of money to CAPAZ to be able to fight the political stuff?

It's a win-win! The rich guys from back east get their yearly auction tags in unit 9(win for them)! And maybe they will give some money to fight the political causes(win for us). But they don't come here to hunt lions anyways, so won't bother them if we lose the lion fight here! And when we lose the lion hunts they still get to keep their elk, deer, and sheep hunts. I'm sure it will work out great.

We are lucky to not only have 1 group working on our behalf, but this morning we now actually have 2! CAPAZ and now CAP. This thing looks awesome! LOL

Do you know what lions eat?

No. Work 16 hour days M-thurs

Hopefully there will be some more and I can plan better.

Still need to call you back also, havent forgot. :)

• Like 1

One other thing I would like to comment on as it's been thrown about by several members:

All of the members whom have taken the time to make their opinions known ARE doing something. Everyone is contributing to the questions and concerns many of us have. These questions, answers, suggestions, are all being tallied up and used by us all for informational purposes. Don't any of you let someone here tell you to "get off your ars and do something about it", and let that make you feel like you are lesser than them! We have 25 pages of brainstorming, Q&A, and ideation, which is no different than any other start to a project.

What we have is a membership group that is not unlike the C&PAZ and we are collectively holding a meeting on our time. Time in between work, emails, conference calls, after coaching football, baseball, family commitments, as we settle down from the day at 10:30pm, whatever... Just because we're not sitting on a conference call, in a meeting room, etc. doesn't minimize our efforts and opinions! We are taking action by establishing our opinions, discussing alternatives, and determining the next steps to be taken NOW THAT WE ARE ALL AWARE OF THESE MEETINGS BEING HELD AND WHAT IS TRYING TO BE DONE. I would like to thank Jay Scott for being the one to bring this all to light. Regardless of where you stand, you have done us all a great service by stepping up and getting this information out. Thank you.

This is a modern day meeting being held by a group of members no different than any list of board members from any organization. Don't let anyone on here make you feel like you're not doing enough or shouldn't have an opinion because of _____. That's BS.

• Like 3

Once again any meetings in Tucson?

Or further south like Sierra Vista? Whether I'm for or against capaz now is the time for me to join something... even if it's just a membership to something like the Ada.

• Like 1

Sorry. I don't live in Phoenix. I guess I should ask why? I have never been a member of the ADA nor attended one of their meetings. Why would they care what I think and vice versa? Does ADA=CAPAZ/CAP/AZSFW/ABC/XYZ(lot's of CAPITAL letters in these groups!)? I'm probably just better off saving my time, energy, and money for the group that represents the other 98% of sportsmen and women, ie. my legislators. This is probably better for them too, as now they can justify their actions by saying "only 14 people cared to show up to our meeting" instead of 15.

I will try and answer the question to the best of my knowledge.....I someone finds differently please post it....

I was told this morning that there are two groups......One is conserve and protect and the other one is conserve and Protect Arizona.

I dont know what the difference is !!!!

The one that is proposing this will take the funds generated and give all 100% of the monies raised to the department. Something similar to the HPC model this money would be used to educate the public on the importance of the dept Ect.....there would be a board of individuals much like the HPC board that would with the department decide how to best spend the money

The other group is on their own to raise money to do the other work that needs to be done....Apparently through banquet, non tag raffles private donations and monies donated by the current wildlife organizations Ect....

Can someone PLEASE attend a meeting or make a call and see what they can find out...

So to get it straight NONE of the money generated by the tags will actually be able to fight the political fight that they say we desperately need money to fight? All the money generated by the tags will go to the education side of things and then we just hope the rich guys donate a bunch of money to CAPAZ to be able to fight the political stuff?

It's a win-win! The rich guys from back east get their yearly auction tags in unit 9(win for them)! And maybe they will give some money to fight the political causes(win for us). But they don't come here to hunt lions anyways, so won't bother them if we lose the lion fight here! And when we lose the lion hunts they still get to keep their elk, deer, and sheep hunts. I'm sure it will work out great.

We are lucky to not only have 1 group working on our behalf, but this morning we now actually have 2! CAPAZ and now CAP. This thing looks awesome! LOL

Do you know what lions eat?

Yes, I know what lions eat. It cost me $15 for my yearly tag, and I tried to get this one after I found his fresh kill, but he only came in at night after. They still manage to give out 3000+ coues permits in this unit. I've been lucky to see dozens of lions all across the state. You're right, I've never seen one eat an auction tag...

post-4655-0-81318000-1523912673_thumb.jpg

post-4655-0-72429900-1523912726_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And if lions aren't being killed who is gonna pay 250k for an auction tag

They're already not paying 250k for an auction tag. Two tags from last year and this year have been 175k and 145k for the elk. Also what do you think the price of the auction tags are gonna drop to when the rich guy can buy a unit 23 two week long elk hunt for $30k or a two week long strip tag for $40k? Why drop 300k on a year long one if I can drop 40k on a shorter one and still kill my giant buck.

Anyone have an extra "Do Not Tread on Me" T-shirt or a "NO SFW" hat I can borrow for the meeting? I lost my ones from 2012. Thanks.

• Like 2

So now they are admitting the tag money wont be used for anything political and they will raise money from other sources for political endeavors, they would have stopped a lot of skepticism from rising if this was said in the beginning but now it makes it look even more shady.

So the game and fish doesn't need conserve and protect to raise money for education, and CPA will raise money for politics by other means, then why do they need the tags at all.

I feel they just want to start another group that gets to sell tags and are trying to make it look like we need them.

I'm 100% for them using donations to fight for hunters. But can't see why they should get any tags to auction. And now they have made themselves look dishonest in my opinion.

• Like 2

And if lions aren't being killed who is gonna pay 250k for an auction tag

They're already not paying 250k for an auction tag. Two tags from last year and this year have been 175k and 145k for the elk. Also what do you think the price of the auction tags are gonna drop to when the rich guy can buy a unit 23 two week long elk hunt for $30k or a two week long strip tag for $40k? Why drop 300k on a year long one if I can drop 40k on a shorter one and still kill my giant buck.

Fair point. Should be asked tomorrow

I'll be there tomorrow night. Maybe meet a few folks (and see a few old familiar faces from the ADA).

I hope is that there will be good, constructive information sharing. I also hope that EVERYONE keeps in mind something I've heard on occasion here and there; "We have two ears and one mouth for a reason! " Listen!! :lol: My gut tells me that I have already made up my mind, but I'm going to try to keep my old biases in check. I want to listen to as much as I can hear, and then figure out where I will place my support.

I sincerely hope for a positive outcome.

S.

• Like 3