broadhead

Looking for a hunting/scouting partner in north 34a

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. I recently moved to the very north end of unit 34a and I'm looking to get out and do some scouting. For now I exclusively bow hunt while I build up a few points and gain better knowledge of the area. While I'm only hunting the early and late archery seasons I still love to get out and scout as much as I can to pin down some good deer areas. Besides that I just spent the money on a very good set of optics and tripod and head and I want to put them to use as much as possible. So with that being said I am looking for anyone who is willing to team up to scout/hunt the north end/Mt Fagan area. If you are putting in for a rifle tag this year and are interested in the same area I am more than willing to get out and help you scout it since I will also benefit from it when the rut comes around. And if you want to bow hunt it together that's cool with me too. Plus it's cool to meet other hunters who are willing to put in the work to find some good deer away from the crowds. I'm looking to do mostly day trips since I don't think I'll have the camping gear by this season. So either way let me know if you're interested. Later.

• Like 5

Thats a great offer and Im sure someone will take you up on it. If I dont get drawn for NM ibex archery (unlikely) Im going to Az in mid January for deer. 34a is one of the 3 units Ive narrowed down to hunt.

I wouldnt be a good scouting/hunting partner because Im coming from SC and wouldnt be able to contribute by scouting and have never hunted there. Ill keep you posted and maybe Ill see you out there. Good luck!

Theres a few guy on here that hunt that unit and do well there. If none of them get ahold of you then Id be happy to take you into a few spots. Its not my primary unit but I know it well.

Right on man that's great but I definitely want to make sure that I can put in work behind the glass too, not just take advantage of guys' hard work for the purpose of finding the good spots. It would be mutually beneficial to me even if I just scout during summer and fall for someone who drew a rifle tag since I'll be hunting the same grounds come late archery. It would get me out more often and give me the initiative to stay focused while also getting a better feel for the land. But heck yeah anytime you want to come down I'm in. Thanks!

Hey broadhead, sorry to dig up an old post but I wanted to check and see if you ever found a scouting partner. I had a successful Coues rifle hunt in 34A last year and put in for it again. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to scouting and I'd love to get out with someone to learn more and see if I can have a better hunt this year. Let me know if you are still looking for someone in the area. I live on the southeast side of town and day trips to the area are easily done. Let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey broadhead, sorry to dig up an old post but I wanted to check and see if you ever found a scouting partner. I had a successful Coues rifle hunt in 34A last year and put in for it again. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to scouting and I'd love to get out with someone to learn more and see if I can have a better hunt this year. Let me know if you are still looking for someone in the area. I live on the southeast side of town and day trips to the area are easily done. Let me know.

Thanks.

heck yeah. I've had a few messages but nothing set in stone. If you draw a tag or just want an extra set of eyes when you go scout let me know. I just got my backpacking camping gear and want to spend a few nights out there so I can get away from walking miles in and out each night. Kills me every time, especially in this heat.

I put in for the late hunt for 33 and 34a but don't expect to draw so unless I get a solid feel for 34a I'm looking at bowhunting 33 again. But let me know and when my schedule free up in a week or two I'll be game.

Hey fellas,

Sorry I've been slow to respond. I've just been really tied down with just about everything EXCEPT hunting and scouting the last few weeks and will be for a couple more. Seeing as there's a few of us in the area and since draw results will be coming out before too long why don't we get together and see if we can scout an area? Like I said in my OP I don't have any tag envy and I don't have any problem helping someone else find some bucks if they draw a tag so long as everyone tries to help each other out and put in the work. I put in for a December tag for 34A and 33 but I'm painfully short on points so there's barely any chance I get drawn. I'm counting on bowhunting. Anyway we should figure something out. Scouting season is here and hunting will be right around the corner. How is it almost July already??

b

Alrighty fellas. I got a hit on my credit card. Looks like I'm headed back to 34A for a Coues hunt (Oct 26 - Nov 1). I'd like to maybe get together with anyone interested and do some scouting. My schedule right now does not permit any overnight trips but I can do daytime trips. I work 4 days a week (10 hours shifts) so I always have at least 1 weekday off every week. Let me know if anybody wants to get together and either discuss or go out an scout.

This will only be my second year hunting Coues, so I'm still learning a ton and looking for any advice/help anyone is willing to give.

Thanks,

~mtuck

Since the results will be coming out soon and you guys are starting to narrow down the hunts you'll be getting let's trade a few PMs and see who wants to get out there. I completely struck out (not surprised since I only applied for December) so I was planning on getting back out to 33 to try to find the buck that eluded me last year but I can make a day trip or pack my camping gear and spend the night if I can find some water to top off while I'm out there. Hopefully the monsoons will help with that once they start up. Anyway let me know.

I drew one of those tags this year. 1st Choice was 33 late dec. 2nd choice was 34a late dec. Never hunted 34a. Still kind of new down here in tucson. I will be signing my tag over to my daughter who turned 10 and was skunked in the draw this year. She says dad I want a god one.... lol