Sign in to follow this  
metau

Salt Water Rigs

I make it out to San Diego a couple of times a year for the 1.5 day trips (two nights on the boat). I have invested in several setups from 15 to 50 lbs. I too started with older style Penn reels but have since upgraded. The Penns are cheap but really handicap you on the water. If you are planning 3+ day trips you will want your heavier setups to be two speed reels with strong drags. I am not saying you can't get it done with lesser setups, but it may take you two hours to reel in a fish while everyone else catches 5 in that same time frame. When the bite is hot, you want to capitalized as it doesn't always last very long. I suggest you go see the guys at Phoenix Fishing Supply. They are great at helping you figure out what you need and they are more than fair on their pricing. Good luck! Offshore fishing is blast!

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

New "found" $$$ and Freedom??? Get yourself down to Belize for some fine stalking the endless lonely flats for bonefish with your 6-8wt fly rods, like hunting and fishing combined...

(Turneffe Atoll)

Those are baitfish

Dragging bait off boat-rods is for un-skilled beer-swilling wanks, get out and use your feet to... Oh wait, you fish like you hunt... Carry on...

post-1378-0-77035800-1524011114_thumb.jpg

New "found" $$$ and Freedom??? Get yourself down to Belize for some fine stalking the endless lonely flats for bonefish with your 6-8wt fly rods, like hunting and fishing combined...

(Turneffe Atoll)

Those are baitfish

Dragging bait off boat-rods is for un-skilled beer-swilling wanks, get out and use your feet to... Oh wait, you fish like you hunt... Carry on...

whatever you say.

unskilled? beer swilling? lets be honest- i spent 40 years and three fortunes as a junkie. a tuna junkie without a bit of repentance. but my all time favorite author and his buds and fishers of some renown chased those little dang fish i used as bait for grouper off penasco with a passion i never ever felt. and you can fish the next day pain free.....

pick your poison and burn some gas boys 'n gurls.

lee

Guest oneshot

BigLakeJake... I was talking about TrphyHntr and his methods hahaha...

Some boat fishermen do have skills... ALL who chase the "Gray Ghost" of the flats have skills...

post-1378-0-46845200-1524016372_thumb.jpg

Bone fish are like antlers - you cant eat them!!! Bahaha. You can however eat other trophies of the sea.

• Like 1

that's all we'll and good but op is talking about catchin man sized tunas off a party boat

i have a penn fathom 40n 2 speed and a 6'6 extra heavy shimano terez 2/3 full of 80lb braid. A penn fathom 25n 2speed with 7'h shimano tallus 2/3 full 65lb braid. Penn slammer 3 6500 with penn rampage jigging rod full of 50lb braid. I need a 30 class star drag.

I think my next reel will be a Slammer 8500 HS. Right now Penn is offering -10% off if you give them your email address.

I think my next reel will be a Slammer 8500 HS. Right now Penn is offering -10% off if you give them your email address.

get the 6500hs it's 8oz lighter and all the capacity you'll ever need

I would like ro go fishing with you please and thank you. :) dang.... Nice fish

that's all we'll and good but op is talking about catchin man sized tunas off a party boat

i have a penn fathom 40n 2 speed and a 6'6 extra heavy shimano terez 2/3 full of 80lb braid. A penn fathom 25n 2speed with 7'h shimano tallus 2/3 full 65lb braid. Penn slammer 3 6500 with penn rampage jigging rod full of 50lb braid. I need a 30 class star drag.

I have a Zebco 33 with 50 yds of 8lb mono on a 5 foot Uglystik.

• Like 1

I have a Zebco 33 with 50 yds of 8lb mono on a 5 foot Uglystik.

Stick with hunting