Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Browning x-bolt long range hunter

Anyone have experience with the browning x-bolt hells canyon long range hunter? Thinking about one in 28 Nosler, and is the Mcmillan stock a worthy $600 upgrade?

my 14yr old shoots a Browning X bolt (not hells canyon) but 26 in barrel and bedded free floated. As I understand most X bolts from entry to excellent are very similar, just some stock muzzle brake and other additions for the higher end. I may be incorrect. Anyway, shoots sub moa and has shot factory well and handload excellent. nice adj trigger. well balanced. he took a cow elk at 460 yards in a heavy cross wind 6.5 creed. 143 Eld-x dropped it like a stone

• Like 1

my 14yr old shoots a Browning X bolt (not hells canyon) but 26 in barrel and bedded free floated. As I understand most X bolts from entry to excellent are very similar, just some stock muzzle brake and other additions for the higher end. I may be incorrect. Anyway, shoots sub moa and has shot factory well and handload excellent. nice adj trigger. well balanced. he took a cow elk at 460 yards in a heavy cross wind 6.5 creed. 143 Eld-x dropped it like a stone

Thanks. Not too many production pieces in 28 Nosler. But for the price I got lured into a Ruger American magnum in 300 win mag. Supposedly a tack driver too. We will see.

Have you considered the savage long range in 280ai? Tack driving rifle out of the box. And that 280ai is impressive

• Like 1

Have you considered the savage long range in 280ai? Tack driving rifle out of the box. And that 280ai is impressive

I have. not sure 280ai packs enough punch for the purpose of this gun. I'm looking for something that i may take to alaska someday. the savage comes in 338 lapua, and that is on the table, but ammo is expen$ive....

28 nosler hits as hard as the lapua at 1000 yards.

decisions, decisions.

my gunsmith said and recommended that changing a '06 to a 280ai is a matter of a barrel swap. seems legit, but '06 ammo is cheap and falling out of the trees. hard to give that up.

Save your money. There is no need for the Lapua in AK a standard 338 is more than enough for big bears if you want to go big. You are not going to be making shots much past 3-400 yards unless you are sheep or goat hunting.

I have. not sure 280ai packs enough punch for the purpose of this gun. I'm looking for something that i may take to alaska someday. the savage comes in 338 lapua, and that is on the table, but ammo is expen$ive....

28 nosler hits as hard as the lapua at 1000 yards.

decisions, decisions.

my gunsmith said and recommended that changing a '06 to a 280ai is a matter of a barrel swap. seems legit, but '06 ammo is cheap and falling out of the trees. hard to give that up.

No offense but Alaska isn't a mythical beast of a state that requires field artillery to kill. Anything that you'd use in AZ will be perfectly fine up here. A .270 will take down anything up here although a standard 7mm or 300 win would probably better for brownies. Point of the story is .280AI,6.5CM,.270,etc.. are all more than efficient up here. Tis is coming from someone who has spent the last 2 and a half years flying freight and off airport hunting charters all over the state of Alaska.