Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

Lady Luck on the Kiabab, bull down 2018

Wow! Well done, what an experince.

WOW, great job! It's very exciting to get a Bull, but even more exciting to avoid sitting in a blind for numerous weeks looking at nothing!!!!! I can't wait to see the video!

• Like 1

Good luck on your hunt, ya didnt hear anything about any new strategies but we werent up long. Just heard they killed a third bull. Exciting, such an awesome experience. I want the tag! I dont mind sittin just knowing those giants are walking around

Thanks azhunter85, it only took 30 bonus points to finally get a tag! I know a few people were hesitant about putting in but I decided to anyway not knowing what the future holds for the bison hunts on the Kaibab. I don't mind sitting either, so we will see what happens.

The new strategies that were mentioned in the Grand Canyon Bison Herd Reduction Assessment haven't started happening yet. Congressman Gosar pushed a bill through last year that the National Park Service needs to work with the AZGFD to iron out the plans for culling and transplanting part of the herd. As far as I know, they are still finalizing the details.

I had this hunt last year with Russ, Chad and Brian. They know there stuff up there. Those guys are non stop almost 24-7 during those hunts. I couldn't thank them enough. I was lucky enough to shoot a cow with my bow with only 4 days left to hunt. I sat a blind for 12-14 days and those were the first and only bison I'd seen. That meat is the best meat you will ever have in your freezer bar none. Good job and I hope you enjoyed it! They are amazing animals.

Ps. I was the only one in camp to only bring a bow to hunt with last year. Everybody else took both rifle and bow to the blind and everybody else that killed, killed with there rifle. If can only get on it was only going to be with a bow.

Great Bull! Tell the Missus congratulations, and prepare to be spoiled for the rest of your life when it comes to red meat!

• Like 1

we had time to dedicate up there. she took both weapons for any situation. it would have been cool with a bow but, we aren't worried about it and look more towards the opportunity then what she used. ill take spot n stalk with any weapon over sittin a blind, but I would do both strategies to get it done. ive heard of the strategies for the "cull" hunt but no nothing at all like that is going on.

The last couple days of my June hunt last year they were starting to fence water in the park. That and the dry spring might be the perfect storm for tag holders this year to be successful. Congrats again on the bull thats a heck of an accomplishment. Anyone whos actually had that tag and gone through the mind games it throws at you will understand what an achievement it is. I wouldnt think twice about using a rifle. I think a lot of people (myself included) dont understand the logistics of that hunt and think that if theyre just sitting in a blind they may as well bowhunt but theres so much more to getting a bison killed (let alone a big bull) then just poking a hole in his lungs at 15 yards on a salt.

• Like 1

You need to try all strategies. I tried spotting and stalking, sitting trails and water for the first week on my own. I was even on some good track and had another hunter shoot a good bull 200 yards from me. So I ended up walking over there to have a look. I just wanted to see one dead or alive. I helped set this bull up to take pictures, Russ even had me in a few of them. I also helped put the bull in the back of Russ's truck. I still have the video of it. It was the coolest thing to watch. Something I want to experience again some day. Sitting a blind sucks though! I hated it but I learned I could do it if I needed to.

Congratulations on a great bison bull! That's cool that you guys didn't have to endure the torture of the blind sitting. Way to go!