Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Which directions do you glass?

I kinda let the weather dictate, if it's hot and I need shade I try and glass the shady slopes, if it's cold and I want sun then I glass sunny slopes. Unfortunately this means you have to put up with the weather, which sucks on really windy days because you have to face the wind and glass the lee slopes.

Pretty much what I do. Most of my pig hunting is when it's cold so I try to glass where the sun is hitting first light. After that I try to think like a pig and glass there. Glassing is an art form that takes years to perfect. Listen to the old timers who glass a lot. When I first started out I felt I had to be humping the hills. It's when I slowed down and starting glassing more is when my ability to find more deer improved. Buy the best binos you can afford. ☺

TJ

• Like 2

Be careful with this! I thought I knew to glass x slope at x time.

I took a very patient first timer and he was finding deer consistently in spots they shouldn't have been.

My advice stay in the glass and move methodically and you will find deer.

The deer don't read books or take classes on glassing. They are going to be where they want to be. Sure, some areas are more likely than others but never be afraid to look where you don't think they should be.

I try to glass in the direction of the deer. In the early AM glass where you figure they will be feeding. Mid AM early afternoon glass where you think they are bedded or moving to-from bed/H2O. late evening where they will pop out of bed to feed some more. Just have to get out learn your country make plans and readjust plan as you learn more.

I glass everywhere I am not supposed to. I find deer. As stated before, they didn't read the book on what they are supposed to do. And that includes muleys. I have seen them laying down in the sun on a day when temps are blistering and in the shade on days it doesn't get much above freezing..

There are always exceptions to the rules. No, deer dont read books as stated multiple times but there are normal behavioral patterns to learn and use to your advantage. Like glass into the wind and sun, on cold mornings glass the sunny side thats where they will prefer to feed. Best time to glass for deer imo is on a slow drizzle day, I dont know why but I can usually double the amount of deer I glass. Remember glassing is an art that takes time and practice. Good luck and have some fun.

• Like 2

Cool thanks again for the input guys. As soon as I can free up the cash I want to take Duane Adams glassing class. Until then Im going to keep the advice you guys shared in mind when I hit the mountain in the next couple weeks. Good luck to everyone. The season is getting close.

What ever you do. Make sure you mount your binos to a tripod.

• Like 2