Sign in to follow this  
buckman888

Single shot 224 Valkerie

Does anyone know what caliber single shot rifle barrel would be best to have bored out to fit the 224 Valkerie cartridge. I know I need the 1-7 twistrate but I've never considered having a rifle built till now. Any info is appreciated

You would want a 223 but if your just wanting to rechamber a factory rifle you won't find one with a 1 in 7 twist. You can get .224 7 twist barrels from Krieger, Bartlein, and Douglas.

If you are going to have a barrel made for 1:7 twist why chamber it in 224 Valkerie? .22-250 or .220 Swift or probably a bunch of others do the same thing or better if you give them a 1:7 twist barrel.

Ya i think the valkerie is kinda like the grendel more for the ar platform

You would want a 223 but if your just wanting to rechamber a factory rifle you won't find one with a 1 in 7 twist. You can get .224 7 twist barrels from Krieger, Bartlein, and Douglas.

That's what I was worried about. Thanks for the info this is the first time I've looked into anything like this. If I'm wanting to build this as a breech loading rifle would those barrels from those suppliers work? I haven't found any that attach the same way. I just love the simplicity and functionality of a h&r handi rifle.

What makes a round better for an ar platform rather than a bolt action or break open? I've never fully understood the difference. Again thank you for the information.

The 224 Valkerie is a 22 Nosler shortened to allow longer bullets to be seated and still fit in an ar magazine. If your running a bolt gun or a single shot there is no advantages. 22 Nosler will do the same thing 100 fps faster.

I'm building a 22-250 Ackley with a 6.5 twist heavy varmint contour barrel. 15 lb rifle launching the 95 gr Sierra matching @ 3200 fps. Running the numbers on Shooter the bullet should stay super sonic to almost 2200 yds and from a rifle you can watch the vaper trail in the scope.

• Like 2

The 224 Valkerie is a 22 Nosler shortened to allow longer bullets to be seated and still fit in an ar magazine. If your running a bolt gun or a single shot there is no advantages. 22 Nosler will do the same thing 100 fps faster.

I'm building a 22-250 Ackley with a 6.5 twist heavy varmint contour barrel. 15 lb rifle launching the 95 gr Sierra matching @ 3200 fps. Running the numbers on Shooter the bullet should stay super sonic to almost 2200 yds and from a rifle you can watch the vaper trail in the scope.

I want video of that vapor trail!! I love seeing it!

I want video of that vapor trail!! I love seeing it!

I'm not the greatest at video or pics but ill sure try. My last one got to watch a coyote fall at 350 and another at 980 yds also a coues at 600 watched all impacts in the scope. Awesome when you hunt alone and don't have the luxury of a spotter.

Would those be any easier to find in break open single shot? I've heard good things about the 22 nosler. I understand they all do approximately the same velocity but factory ammunition for the 224 Valkerie is quite reasonable and easy to find. I do plan on reloading but it is nice to know that it's easily accessible.

The only rifle I know of chambered for either that's not an AR would be the Nosler M48 in 22 Nosler. It's a higher end bolt gun. You could pick up a H&R in 223 and easily have it rechambered to either, but your back at the twist issue. Also a break style single shot with the fore end hanging off the barrel wouldn't likely be as accurate as a quality free floated bolt gun. If I were going to build a fast twist in either cartridge I would build off a Rem. 700.

• Like 1

The only rifle I know of chambered for either that's not an AR would be the Nosler M48 in 22 Nosler. It's a higher end bolt gun. You could pick up a H&R in 223 and easily have it rechambered to either, but your back at the twist issue. Also a break style single shot with the fore end hanging off the barrel wouldn't likely be as accurate as a quality free floated bolt gun. If I were going to build a fast twist in either cartridge I would build off a Rem. 700.