Sign in to follow this  
Ethicsovereverything

Colorado OTC Archery

So Im a fairly inexperienced hunter and I plan on trying my luck in Colorado. Ive not been drawn in my home state (Arizona) for last few years. From my understanding the OTC starts in Augest for Colorado. Can anyone give me advice on where to try? I was thinking unit 74 because I have family close to there. Im open to any advice though Id like to finally get a big game animal.

• Like 1

$661 For a tag. Ive hunted 74 once before and if u decide to go there Ill tell ya what I know about it.

Find the thickest, darkest timber on the north side of the steepest ridge/mountain in any unit, and you will be into elk all day long. Do not plan on a ton of bugles in an OTC unit.

Lizard head is west of the 145, either 70 or 71

• Like 1

The north side of the mountain has thicker cover and usually cooler in the early hunts. This is where elk usually bed and then will come out to the open tops or south side to feed. There is less evaporation of water on the north side so you will find more wallows, especially if you can find a bench in the terrain.

Sparky is halfway correct. Those are the reasons to look on the North sides of ridges/mountains. But you need to find the thick, nasty stuff. The steeper, the better. And it doesn't need to be that far from a road, either. Just something that would be painful for any sane human to want to walk into. Elk in the CO OTC units know when hunting season hits and they go to two places. Where I described and private property. And they do so because no one legally can, or physically wants to, go to those two places.

Other suggestions, don't expect a crazy amount of bugles. Learn to listen to everything else in the woods. When hunting super thick stuff, with tons of ridges/spurs, you can be only 2-3 draws over and not hear an elk bugle. Wear good boots. Look into a bear tag and small game license (dusky grouse are amazing table fare). Summer rains will play a big part in forage, and affect elevations you will find the elk at.

Great info!! In order to be successful in the CO OTC seasons a lot of miles on the boots are needed. I've hunted GMU 28,37, and 38 OTC archery there for the past 4 years and have been pretty successful. These are definitely not top tier units but I have seen some stud bulls in 28 and 37 in August/September. Key was getting far from any accessible roads. I like to hunt the high country at this time. Especially in areas where bulls aren't that vocal. You can glass them in the morning feeding above timberline then focus on an area where you know elk are. Its important to read the elk right. Ive noticed these OTC unit bulls will get pushed out of an area very quickly if you are too aggressive with calls. I think the deeper in the Backcountry you go, the more aggressive you can be. Im not saying that is unanimous for every area, its just what I have experienced.

A great way to learn about this hunt would be to check out Born and Raised Outdoors on youtube. They hunted Colorado this past year and filmed everything about it from calling to relocating to new areas. They hunt in thick timber far from roads and are very aggressive with calls, which may not be my preference, but there is a lot to be learned from them. Its part of their Land of the Free series where they hunt Oregon, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, and Montana.

PM me if you'd like some info on the units I described.

• Like 1

No one mentioned... get in the absolute best shape you can! You will be hunting at or near timberline, and the air is crazy thin. If you live in lower elevations, get an Elevation Training Mask, and use it every day for cardio. You may look funny using it, but they work! If you plan on going this year, you had better start yesterday! I have had my butt handed to me every year I went up to hunt my parents ranch when I didn't draw here. I was in great shape for 1000 foot elevation, but milk toast at 10k. And, work the legs! Colorado is vertical. For some reason, there seems to be about 1/2 as much downhill as there is uphill It defies logic. Beautiful country, but you will earn any animal you take up there. Good luck!

You say you are fairly inexperienced. If you are not already familiar with the process I recommend you learn how to bone out an animal in the field. You do not want to pack useless weight across the terrain you will likely encounter. Also check out the gutless method of processing an animal in the field. Good luck.

• Like 2