Flatlander

Conserve and Protect Meeting 4/23/2018

I was in attendance last night at the meeting as a board member of Conserve and Protect. I felt that there were ideas presented that need to be explored further and that the issue of "No Auction Tags" was abundantly clear. Congratulations to those who did come and presented their ideas. Mr. Willet has a couple of ideas that I think offer some credible solutions. Rich Williams did a great job of moderating the meeting and most were able to express their views. I will not post again, but I did want to thank those who did show up last night to express their views.

I just got home. Good meeting with lots of ideas.

I'm still against raffle/auction tags, but I do have to say, I have a different perspective on this process than I did 24hrs ago.

what has changed, as far as your perspective? I thought there was some solid ideas put on the table.

Speaking for me personally, my perspective of the board has changed. I first thought they were all unified on the tag grab. Now I feel the majority are looking for legitimate ways to go forward.

the lack of new blood is apparent because they have a tendency to fixate and focus on the hsus issue when the topic has changed to recruitment and retention.

• Like 1

Good ideas last night, idgaf. The hope is that through the education plan is we wont have to fight HSUS. Now comes the hard part, you have to convince the general hunting population that you are fighting for them with a license increase.

I just got home. Good meeting with lots of ideas.

I'm still against raffle/auction tags, but I do have to say, I have a different perspective on this process than I did 24hrs ago.

what has changed, as far as your perspective? I thought there was some solid ideas put on the table.
Speaking for me personally, my perspective of the board has changed. I first thought they were all unified on the tag grab. Now I feel the majority are looking for legitimate ways to go forward.

the lack of new blood is apparent because they have a tendency to fixate and focus on the hsus issue when the topic has changed to recruitment and retention.

I agree that all of the board members have different objectives, but they all agree they need to raise money to pursue their ideas.

As far as the HSUS fight, Pete is the one using that as a scare tactic to try and push his tag grab agenda.

Appreciate all who have reached out and look forward to being part of the solution.

PS - I agree mister Williams did a fine job moderating and many on the board helped keep the meeting on track and making sure folks got heard.

I was in attendance last night at the meeting as a board member of Conserve and Protect. I felt that there were ideas presented that need to be explored further and that the issue of "No Auction Tags" was abundantly clear. Congratulations to those who did come and presented their ideas. Mr. Willet has a couple of ideas that I think offer some credible solutions. Rich Williams did a great job of moderating the meeting and most were able to express their views. I will not post again, but I did want to thank those who did show up last night to express their views.

I planned to attend but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. Could anybody who was there explain the ideas that were presented by Mr.Willet?

I was at the meeting. I saw a lot of animosity. I saw lots of people trying to win arguments. I saw old wounds being opened. It was pretty sad.. Let's start planning forward like we do for the next hunting season. That being said, I misread the purpose of this meeting. I did not know we were going to argue about how to raise money. So when you folks are done arguing, call me. I am interested in educating non-hunters.

I was at the meeting. I saw a lot of animosity. I saw lots of people trying to win arguments. I saw old wounds being opened. It was pretty sad.. Let's start planning forward like we do for the next hunting season. That being said, I misread the purpose of this meeting. I did not know we were going to argue about how to raise money. So when you folks are done arguing, call me. I am interested in educating non-hunters.

Haha Pete is that you?
  • Like 1

Besides a few outbursts by Petey I didnt ssr the animosity or arguing. Guys simply presented their ideas and people refuted or agreed. Some more spirited than others. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean they are arguing.

Asside from one hiccup it was somewhat productive. Imo flatlander had the best idea of a paid draw odds calculator that imo HAS to be a link on the azgfd site as a link to capaz. The problem with azgfd obtaining funds is that they can be used for anything and not just the fight against hsus. Great idea. I kinda think the G&F will empliment

Asside from one hiccup it was somewhat productive. Imo flatlander had the best idea of a paid draw odds calculator that imo HAS to be a link on the azgfd site as a link to capaz. The problem with azgfd obtaining funds is that they can be used for anything and not just the fight against hsus. Great idea. I kinda think the G&F will empliment

true. I just hope they (game and fish)don't simply steal his idea. There would have to be some kind of intellectual rights Flatlander would retain.

Last night I went over some numbers about applications for elk, antelope, deer and sheep from 2010 to 2017 (and 2018 for elk and antelope) that showed quite an increase in applications (varies by species) for those species and I explained that I was using them as a proxy for the number of big game hunters.

Pete asked if they included the applications for a bonus point only. I replied that they did. That led to one of the "heated" discussions. I believe Pete's point was that if the numbers included apps for bonus point only, they were skewed.

This morning I double checked the G&F reports (BONRPT2 and BONRPT1 available on the azgfd.gov website). I was wrong last night. The numbers DO NOT include applications for a bonus point only.

If I had been correct last night, one of the points of contention might have been avoided. I apologize.

The numbers presented are accurate and do show quite an increase in applications for actual hunts while permit numbers have stayed relatively steady.

Bruce

PS. Just as one example for those not there last night. For elk:

2010 79,041 apps for 25,895 tags

2018 115,504 apps for 24,901 tags

• Like 1

Last night I went over some numbers about applications for elk, antelope, deer and sheep from 2010 to 2017 (and 2018 for elk and antelope) that showed quite an increase in applications (varies by species) for those species and I explained that I was using them as a proxy for the number of big game hunters.

Pete asked if they included the applications for a bonus point only. I replied that they did. That led to one of the "heated" discussions. I believe Pete's point was that if the numbers included apps for bonus point only, they were skewed.

This morning I double checked the G&F reports (BONRPT2 and BONRPT1 available on the azgfd.gov website). I was wrong last night. The numbers DO NOT include applications for a bonus point only.

If I had been correct last night, one of the points of contention might have been avoided. I apologize.

The numbers presented are accurate and do show quite an increase in applications for actual hunts while permit number have stayed relatively steady.

Bruce

I don't think the bonus point argument detracted from the overall point you made. Still useful info.

Simple rule of thumb everyone should follow........ It Pete Cimarello is for something then you should be against it... Period

His day in the sun has passed and now he is nothing more than an egomaniac with selfish plans..

For the record I am against this new version of a tag grab.

• Like 1