Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Mr. Heather Big Buddy Propane Heater

Works like a charm in my Kodak 10x14. Long hose to a big can outside, crack a window on the bottom and one on the top and runit all night when my wife is with me. No issues

Had the same issue also being paranoid of it killing us but in the Turkey youth camp several people had them and they ask me why don't you use one...it was cold and we have a Youth Elk hunt and some turkey weeks to come so want to be more prepare

Ran a Mr. Heater in a 10x14 Kodiak this past weekend at the junior turkey camp in Unit 1. It was my first time using it. I also ran a long hose with an external tank. I was paranoid about killing all of us, so I took a portable carbon monoxide detector and kept the windows a lot more open than was probably necessary. As was mentioned, it has an O2 sensor, but you can have plenty of oxygen in the air and still have a dangerous amount of CO in the area.

I left it on low while we slept. Because I had the windows cracked so much it was still a bit chilly in the tent, but it definitely took the edge off. When we woke up I just closed up most of the windows and cranked it up to high while we dressed. We had high winds most of the time and snow on Friday night. The heater melted the snow off of most of the roof. The kids had heavy bags, but said they were totally comfortable all night.

Mr. Heater doesn't recommend using the devices at elevations over 7k feet because the O2 sensor might cause it not to work at higher altitudes, but we were at about 9k feet and it worked just fine.

Next time I want to get a small battery operated fan and hang it in one corner of the tent to see if it will circulate the warm air a little better.

I have a 10x14 kodiak and a normal buddy heater, not the big buddy that uses 2 tanks.

For most cool and cold nights it is fine. I run it on the BBQ tank like others. I picked up a CO sensor at home depot that I keep inside just to be safe.

It works really well for most nights. We did have to spend a night in tele tent in unit 7 a few years ago in December. It was probably 10* plus wind that night. We had 1 buddy heater on high all night and another buddy on low. We survived but I wouldn't call it super comfortable, but we didn't shiver all night either.

95% of the time the buddy heater will get it done nicely. 5% will not be comfortable, but you will live and be happy you had it.

• Like 1

I have one I use in my pop up and my other buddy bought the fittings to use his where his stove would be in his pop up. I think in general, the canvas of both the pop up and the framed tents breathes enough. We usually only use ours for about 30 minutes before bed (to take the chill off) and then one of us gets up about an hour before we get up to turn it on for the morning. There was an elk trip that temps were below freezing and we ran it all night.

for around 25 bucks, you can get a battery Co2/oxygen monitor to keep in the tent (I got mine from depot).

---

I also splurged, and got the adapter fittings, and hoses to run it off the bigger tanks. I leave the tank outside the camper and run the hose into the camper. Nothing like being sad and disappointed when you here the pop and flash from the burn out 10 minutes after lighting it at 4 in the morning from a 1 pound can.

• Like 4

I have one I use in my pop up and my other buddy bought the fittings to use his where his stove would be in his pop up. I think in general, the canvas of both the pop up and the framed tents breathes enough. We usually only use ours for about 30 minutes before bed (to take the chill off) and then one of us gets up about an hour before we get up to turn it on for the morning. There was an elk trip that temps were below freezing and we ran it all night.

for around 25 bucks, you can get a battery Co2/oxygen monitor to keep in the tent (I got mine from depot).

---

I also splurged, and got the adapter fittings, and hoses to run it off the bigger tanks. I leave the tank outside the camper and run the hose into the camper. Nothing like being sad and disappointed when you here the pop and flash from the burn out 10 minutes after lighting it at 4 in the morning from a 1 pound can.

Well at 4am you should be getting up anyway!

• Like 1