Sign in to follow this  
87lc

3C early archery Guide??

After years of not getting drawn, I finally have a tag. I actually switched from early rifle to archery. I'm a little nervous about the whole archery thing. Because of this I am looking into the possibility of hiring a guide. Anybody have someone they recommend? Anyone to avoid? A buddy told me a couple, I just want to see what you guys say? I am excited for this fall. But I feel like I need to determine quickly to do this on my own or with a guide.

How many points did you have? This was my first choice the past two years and Im up to 11 now. Maybe next year. Good luck to you.

I had an early bull rifle hunt in 3a/3c last year.

Shane Koury of Koury Guide Service helped me out so much. I'd highly recommend them 100%.

Here's his number. 928-242-0155

He's on Facebook and Instagram and all that fun stuff.

He had helpers and other guys help during my hunt, check water holes, pull cameras. Him and his guys knew the area so well and had their patterns down so well, and knew where big bulls were every day. 3c is tough too cause there's not a lot of glassing, you kinda already have to know their patterns. Last year the wind sucked some days, so unless you were right on top of them it was hard to hear them buggling with that wind. Luckily you get 2 weeks with that archery hunt. Last year they were fighting a lot too, it was a whole lot of fun I can imagine for that archery hunt, but during my rifle hunt I saw a lot of broken points. Pm me if you'd like to talk more.

• Like 1

Go with burnt timber if they have openings. Good guys that dont overpromise and underperform like some guides. They kill solid bulls on that hunt every year and are funny cool guys to be around. You'll have a good time no matter the outcome.

• Like 5

I've spent the last three falls in 3C on multiple elk and deer hunts. Congratulations, you have a great hunt!
Koury and Burnt Timber are probably the primary "locals" in that unit and are both great guides. I think both of them book up pretty quick, so you might have availability issues. I do believe they differ a little in style and approach. Shane is a great hunter and solid guy who I consider a personal friend. I have and would hunt with him any day. I've also had multiple interactions with the various memebers of the Burnt Timber crew. Awesome guys, very friendly, and they know their stuff. I really don't think you can go wrong with either. Feel free to shoot me a PM if youd like more specifics on either.

• Like 4

I had an early bull rifle hunt in 3a/3c last year.

Shane Koury of Koury Guide Service helped me out so much. I'd highly recommend them 100%.

Here's his number. 928-242-0155

He's on Facebook and Instagram and all that fun stuff.

He had helpers and other guys help during my hunt, check water holes, pull cameras. Him and his guys knew the area so well and had their patterns down so well, and knew where big bulls were every day. 3c is tough too cause there's not a lot of glassing, you kinda already have to know their patterns. Last year the wind sucked some days, so unless you were right on top of them it was hard to hear them buggling with that wind. Luckily you get 2 weeks with that archery hunt. Last year they were fighting a lot too, it was a whole lot of fun I can imagine for that archery hunt, but during my rifle hunt I saw a lot of broken points. Pm me if you'd like to talk more.

How many points did you have Alex? That's my 1st choice every year and I now have 18 points. What did you get?

I got extremely lucky. I had 1 point. I didn't even have my hunter ed point yet (I just took hunter ed).

It was my very first elk hunt ever. I've been javelina/deer hunting with my uncle a few times, but I had never shot at a game animal before. But I go shooting regularly.

I also met a few lucky kids, across from my camp, that was their first time putting in for that hunt also.

I got a broken 6x on the last morning.

He was fighting with another big bull, and chased the him off.

Once the group settled down for a second I got him with one 100-150 yard heart shot.

It was such a fun hunt. I'm hooked now. I'll try to post some pictures on my profile.

Most all my shot opportunities were 100-150 yards, except one which was 450, but I passed on all of them because of broken points.

I figured I won't get drawn for this hunt for a long long time, I might as well hold out.

I had shot opportunities every day except one day where the wind was bad and we couldn't get on them.

Alex that was pretty cool shooting with that can. I wish we could pass that law where we could all hunt/shoot with one. It made things so much nicer. Great shooting BTW.

Houston

• Like 1

Alex that was pretty cool shooting with that can. I wish we could pass that law where we could all hunt/shoot with one. It made things so much nicer. Great shooting BTW.

Houston

I'm not following? What did he/you shoot with?

Houston

If by "can" you mean "suppressor," then there already is a law allowing us to use them for hunting in Arizona?

Yeah it wasn't worded correctly but I wish it was easier and cheaper to get/own one. I wish everyone hunted with one, it is so much nicer than worrying about your ears.

• Like 1