Sign in to follow this  
willhunt4coues

Carbon Six Barrel

Well after a little wait i received in my Carbon Six prefit barrel. I had wanted something with a lot of power so i went with the 28 Nosler, 1:8 twist, Magnum contour, 5/8x24 muzzle threads, 26" long. If anyone knows me they know i am not big on Carbon barrels but i am wanting to try a barrel from every manufacturer out there even Green Mountain. Carbon Six offers some great deals especially if its a blank. Anyways i ordered the barrel Dec 27 and received an email that she was ready at 10 weeks. When i got the barrel i was somewhat disappointed because when i looked in bore i could not see a throat. Okay my thought was they throat separate from reaming then i tried a case. Nope i could tell it case was not going into neck. SO i called Gene and they said send it back and they would look. To my experience i only could assume the smith used a 26 nosler reamer and i actually could see how that could happen since numbers get rubbed on reamers BUT wouldn't you take a measurement of reamer at say throat and neck before setup? Anyways they rush shipped it back to me within 4 days and it was ready for shooting.

Ran out and did a 10 round Sullie (I think) load development. Fire 10 rounds in .5 increase from low to high looking for velocity flat spots. I had a flat spot at 76.5 to 77.0 and 77.5 to 78.0. So loaded those up in 3 with 76.8 and 77.8 and off to do my OCW test. As you can see by target 77.5 and 77.8 are in the node and speed. I was told by Gene if the barrel did not shoot to let him know and they will make it right. Being that all the past 3 barrels i have had X-Caliber, Shilen took so long to even find a decent load and those were not the greatest (1 hole group if not new barrel) i really did not expect it to shoot. Talk about nice. Whole gun weighs 9 lbs something oz. SO much lighter than my last set up (only 1 lbs). Being that Carbon six is a new company I know there will be problems here or there and they will get them ironed out. But wow with as much recoil and energy there is with this gun i can not believe it is this accurate. Now just to wait till the forest is open so i can test some long rage shots for my Elk hunt in sept. Yes i have a Rifle elk hunt in sept (psst i will be signing it over to my Boy but dont tell him that)

Bighorn SR3 Long action

Manners EH1 Stock

Carbon Six Barrel 28 nosler

Piercision Mini Mag Muscle Brake

Shilen trigger

Sightron SIII Scope

Atlas Bipod

Load

H1000, 77.8, .020 jump, 195 Berger EOL, Nosler Brass, 215M, Going 3000 fps.

post-2094-0-43584800-1524761229_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-88031100-1524761242_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-84970700-1524761251_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-92788000-1524761259_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I just had my first experience with a Carbon Six barrel myself. I was actually very impressed with it. It cleaned up so easy with very little fouling at all, much better than even Barlien and Benchmark and Shilen barrels I have used. This is a 6mmXC I just finished up for a buddy of mine. Shoots really well and I am not going to hesitate on doing another one.

Five shot group at 100 yards.

post-4525-0-98367200-1524767917_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I just had my first experience with a Carbon Six barrel myself. I was actually very impressed with it. It cleaned up so easy with very little fouling at all, much better than even Barlien and Benchmark and Shilen barrels I have used. This is a 6mmXC I just finished up for a buddy of mine. Shoots really well and I am not going to hesitate on doing another one.

Five shot group at 100 yards.

They do clean up so much faster. Only took me 4 rounds of shoot and clean till she was done copper fouling. Then i just started shooting.

I wanna try this beast to find out if I really want one that light weight or not

Yes sir come on up anytime. I will be heading out to range again Sunday to bang up some steel. Probably put some holes in steel. LMAO

Nice mild well-shooting load. If you want to speed it up, look at RL33. I have had excellent results in five different 28 Noslers with it under 195s.

• Like 1

Nice mild well-shooting load. If you want to speed it up, look at RL33. I have had excellent results in five different 28 Noslers with it under 195s.

Oh I know I see where everyone is taking the 33 powder up to 88 grains. That's okay I don't care to go that fast and waste barrel. Actually wanted to be lower around 2950 but could not get a node there. Plus the 33 is not temp stable and don't feel like messing with all the headaches. I am really glad the h1000 worked cause I bought 8 lbs.

What do you think it weighs?

Here is what my scales say with and without bipod. The barrel itself weighs 3 lbs 1 ounce.

post-2094-0-40393200-1524787092_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-13514000-1524787152_thumb.jpg

Oh I know I see where everyone is taking the 33 powder up to 88 grains. That's okay I don't care to go that fast and waste barrel. Actually wanted to be lower around 2950 but could not get a node there. Plus the 33 is not temp stable and don't feel like messing with all the headaches. I am really glad the h1000 worked cause I bought 8 lbs.

I have not found RL33 to be temp sensitive at ALL. I have shot it from 30 to 100+. And some of the rifles I have loaded for have shot the same load at far lower temps and noticed no difference in POI at distance. But I agree, H1000 is the king of magnum hunting powders. Very accurate and stable. Clean burning too.

And it is a rare 28 Nosler that can handle 88 grains. Usually in the 82-85gr range. Only one I did could safety hit 88 grains. But it hit 3160fps too. A hammer on elk. Which is what that round is tailor made for.

A 28 Nosler is not meant to be shot hundreds of rounds a year. So I would think once load development is complete, a barrel could last for years, if not decades.

At 2950-3000fps, I can see the barrel lasting 1000+/- rounds. That is a lifetime for most people. I agree, I would take a .2" round @ 3000 over a 1" round @ 3150. But a .1" round @ 3120 is a dream come true.

• Like 2

I have not found RL33 to be temp sensitive at ALL. I have shot it from 30 to 100+. And some of the rifles I have loaded for have shot the same load at far lower temps and noticed no difference in POI at distance. But I agree, H1000 is the king of magnum hunting powders. Very accurate and stable. Clean burning too.

And it is a rare 28 Nosler that can handle 88 grains. Usually in the 82-85gr range. Only one I did could safety hit 88 grains. But it hit 3160fps too. A hammer on elk. Which is what that round is tailor made for.

A 28 Nosler is not meant to be shot hundreds of rounds a year. So I would think once load development is complete, a barrel could last for years, if not decades.

At 2950-3000fps, I can see the barrel lasting 1000+/- rounds. That is a lifetime for most people. I agree, I would take a .2" round @ 3000 over a 1" round @ 3150. But a .1" round @ 3120 is a dream come true.

Very true.

You are the only one I have heard of that the stability worked for.

I have seen quite a few of Piercision rifles go up to the 88 grains. That's the fastest I have seen.

To gain even 100 ft per second is really to me not worth it but again that's me.

I will probably have this barrel shot out or replaced by another 28 within the year since I got my lathe now. I also want to do a 26 but I shoots lots that's why I say probably a year if I make it that far.

• Like 2