Born2hunt

.243 or 7-08 for Youth Cow

My daughter drew a cow tag this year and Im trying to decide what to have her shoot. .243 seems much too light to me but I know plenty of people who have had success in cows with .243s. My other daughter shot her mule deer with a .243 last year which blew through both scapulas and exited the far side. That said .243 seems plenty good for cows but curious on everyone elses thoughts. I can also borrow a 7-08 but my daughter already doesnt like the .243 recoil. Right now Im leaning toward having her shoot what shes most comfortable with (243 - she can consistently hit a soda can at 100 yards with it), and limit shots within 200 yards or so. Let me know what you think.

If you think she will be most comfortable with the .243 then I would use that. Also I think with the right bullet and placement you should be plenty fine out to 200 yards.

• Like 1

Normally I would say 7-08 for sure but I wouldn't move up if the recoil of the 243 is too much. A well placed 100 gr bullet is far more deadly than a poorly placed 140 gr.

Seems easy enough, Shoot the .243 and keep the ranges tight.

I will agree that she would shoot what she likes. However, before throwing in the towel, is the 7mm08 a lighter gun or poorer recoil pad? I would be tempted to to ry a box or two of reduced/managed recoil to build her confidence and see if she can work her way up. The cartridge powder capacity is the same for both .243 and 7mm08and the .308. Stick with a quality bullet on the hunt in either caliber.

• Like 1

Thanks its good to get some positive feedback. Ive got her shooting reduced loads for practice and I have a slip on recoil pad. That said one daughter doesnt think it has any recoil and I tend to agree with her. But I dont want her getting nervous with a rifle she knows has a little more kick and have her nervous at the shot. The deer load was an 80 grain TTSX, and it performed so well Im planning to do that again. Any suggestions on a 100 grain bullet I should look into? The 80 gr groups well and performed on game but if they made a heavier option I would go with that.

100 grain partitions....I can give you a load of your interested.

Pushes it around 2900 and change.

2 yrs ago my son shot a spike bull at 135 yds and it blew through, bull took 4 steps and rolled over dead.

100 gr Nosler Partition, 90 gr Swift Scirocco. 90 gr Nosler E-tip, 90 gr Nosler Accubond. All are available in factory ammo. If it were my choice the Scirocco would be my first pick.

Get yourself some 100 grain Remington Core Lokts, sounds like you might already be shooting those. Whatever she's hitting soda cans with your good to go. Plenty of better options but reality is stuff any 100 or so grain 243 factory load behind the shoulder half way up and dead is dead. Just go hunting and have fun.

• Like 1

100 gr Nosler Partition, 90 gr Swift Scirocco. 90 gr Nosler E-tip, 90 gr Nosler Accubond. All are available in factory ammo. If it were my choice the Scirocco would be my first pick.

I would agree with dse, but add the 80 TTSX it is wicked on game, and light on recoil.

I saw this title and had to read, my boys were 10 and 12 on their first cow hunt and one shot a 7/08 (140corelokt I think) and one shot a 243 (100gr Nos partitions). The 7/08 was just behind the shoulder and she just layed down and died within mins. The 243 hit her right square on the shoulder, she walked off about 80yrds and I'm sure would have died eventually but after about 15-20min still had her head up. He put another one into her shoulder and she still didn't give it up for another 5mins or so. I felt really good about the partitions breaking her down, but sure didn't get the damage up inside I was hoping for. Totally agree shoot what is comfortable to her, but I will say my Daughter (very recoil sensitive) was 10 on her first cow hunt and 11 on her 2nd cow hunt and both were shot with a 270wsm with a brake (140 accubond). For $280 I was a lot more comfortable and she had less felt recoil than the 243. Just make sure the ear protection is on. If I had to it over again, I would have broken that 7/08 back then, but I sold it and ended up with this 270wsm at some point. Just a thought.

My daughters first cow elk was when she was 10. Hammered it with a 7mm-08 with rem core lokt. She never took a step. About 100 yards or so.