Born2hunt

.243 or 7-08 for Youth Cow

i bought my daughter a 7mm-08 before she was born. she will hopefully get to use it next year ;]

• Like 2

Thanks for all the positive input everyone. The 80 gr ttsx laid my daughter’s deer right down without taking a step, and like I said it blew through both scapula. Still I do like as big a hole as I can manage so I think I’ll have her shoot the 243 a lot, then see if I can step her up to the 08. If she shoots that as well I’ll go with that.

$280 for a 270 wsm including the muzzle brake is a steal of a deal. I’d be all over that for her if I found that deal. She’s also my most sensitive to noise but I’ll carry earplugs for her like I did on the deer hunt. It’s all about keeping them happy and comfortable!

Sorry, to be clear adding a break to 7/08 would cost about $280 and for that, you are set for her with a larger caliber and almost zero recoil. I know money is money, but I added that to an existing gun vs buying a new caliber or being uncomfortable in case of shot placement etc.

My daughter has killed two cows with a .243 Both died within 10 yrds of being hit, and were shot at ranges of 300 yds and 70 yds. She is very small in stature and did not like shooting 7mm-08 or .270. I say make the experience fun for your daughter and let her shoot the .243. Good luck to her!!!!

• Like 1

I put a muzzle break on my .270 and it reduced the recoil a bunch. Just something to consider

Muzzle breaks are great but they will kill your hearing.even with muffs or plugs I wouldnt do it on any kids gun for that reason only

Thanks that link was very helpful. Feeling pretty good about the 243 unless I can get her comfortable shooting something a little larger. I appreciate everyones feedback!

I sold my kids youth .243 and bought a 6.5 creedmoor. Daughter has a youth cow tag this year. Can't wait to get this rifle dialed in. If only we could get some mositure so we can shoot!!

So many underestimate a well placed 243. Nice shooting!

I wonder if that shot would be different exactly the same but at 200 yards. Pretty impressive to see a cow drop like that with a 243. Makes me think it was the perfect distance for proper expansion for that bullet.

• Like 1