The other head I was looking hard at was the slick trick viper , any thoughts there?

I know a couple people that have tried these and had a hard time getting them to group. Standard and magnum slick tricks shoot great. They even group good out of my dads crossbow shooting 400fps.

I shot several animals with the montec and was never happy with their sharpness or blood trails.

I know you didn’t ask about them but I agree with Kaibabhunter, the qad exodus is the best combo of accuracy, durability and performance on game I’ve seen. I read so many good reviews on them I switched after trying several different broadheads and glad I did.

Ive played around with different options. Had great results with QAD Exodus swept blade in AZ. Not legal in some other states, in those states I use the slick trick which is just an all around fantastic broadhead

Ive used the slick trick vipers successfully on 1 cow elk and on 1 turkey. The turkey flopped 20 yards downhill and I found the arrow 60 yards past the bird. The cow elk was a double lung pass through. She didnt bleed much but I found her 50 yards away from the shot so I cant complain. She started bleeding about 40 yards from where she stood at the shot.

I once shot a muley with the viper that I didnt recover. I wanted to blame the broadhead but I eventually admitted it was just a bad shot and hit too high so I continued to use it and had good results noted above. Ive talked to too many successful bowhunters to question the slick trick viper.

As for accuracy it groups perfectly with my field points out to 80 yards Ive never had a concern with its accuracy.

I quit using the montecs for the same reasons above. I think Ive searched for 7 bulls now hit with montecs. Some were lost and the ones found were by Running a grid because there was no blood trail. Havent tried T-locks.

I've killed 2 bulls with the montecs. 25 and 30 yds both pass through double lung shots. The 25 yd shot the broadhead blew through a rib on entry, best blood trail I've ever followed and dead bull within 100 yds. Bull shot at 30 yds fell within sight probably around 50 yds great blood trail.

I used a Montec on a bull that was 30 yards slightly quartering away and raking a tree. Complete pass through and he died within 40 yards. I gave him some time and went to find my arrow. I found the arrow and from there could see him down and dead. Very little blood but fortunately didn't need it. That said I switched to viper tricks in January because of sharpness and accuracy. Interested to hear how your tests go.

Next up is the Magnus stinger , ordered a set of this style today, officially entered the rabbit hole.

Now also considering due to high recomendations the iron will 130 grain. 100.00 per 3 is pretty steep but I've had the same 6 heads for 5 years so what ever I end up with will last.

I have used Thunderheads for 25 years and never found a reason to switch. The replaceable blades are a high quality steel that holds a fine edge. The blades may appear fragile but I have not had a problem with them breaking. I have generally been able to get them to group close to my field points. The blades on the pictured arrow did not break. I dug the broadhead out of the rock, put new blades in it and it was ready to go again. If only that turkey would have stood still. Yea, I know, just what you need. Another broadhead to try.

post-15248-0-18155200-1526171079_thumb.jpg

I used rocky mountains for years. Loved them. Now I use slick tricks. Only shot one elk with them so we will see.

Here are my reasons for the slick trick. I like a smaller cutting diameter head. I see way to many guys wanting to put a big hole in an animal. I want to put a deep hole (hopefully 2 holes = 2 holes to bleed from) in the animal. Getting enough penetration to hit the vitals is more important than having a big hole.

I also like the thicker blades for durability, shorter distance from point to cutting is also important to me.

Honestly I sharpen every single blade when it goes into my quiver. Every single one of them. I actually think back in the day the blades were sharper than they are today. Or at least I cut myself more often.

The second place head was the muzzy's. I think they make a good head but the distance from the tip to cutting is a bit longer than I would like to see. Great head though.

It’s easy to waist a month testing Broadheads but a standard slick trick in a bull elks worst nightmare, as far as fix blades go.

I shoot the 125gr Montec's as well, have for over a decade now. I always sharpen out of the package, and while I have not taken many animals in that time frame, my longest tracking job was 60 yards on a Javelina. Have missed a few shots and dug them out of dirt/rocks and a few trees/logs and have always been able to resharpen them and put back into my quiver. Will also say that when hunting, I will resharpen them throughout the hunt, just to make sure they always have the sharpest edge possible.

Have been contemplating switching things up this year and going to a single-bevel broadhead for more weight and EFOC.