Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Draw question

Im pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I want to get verification before I tell my dad to do something we both will regret. He wants to put in for the two archery strip hunts first and second choice, but if he doesnt draw those he wants a Whitetail tag. We know leftover tags are getting harder to come by every year. If he puts in for a Whitetail Hunt down south that usually has leftover tags as his third choice that wont negate him from possibly getting his first or second choice because he will be in the bonus pass for the Whitetail Hunt. Is that correct? Its my understanding that for the bonus pass round they just look at your first and second choice. If he doesnt draw those in the first round random pass and makes it to the second random pass he should be able to draw his third choice Whitetail tag assuming there are still tags left, right.

Correct. The bonus pass does not look at the 3rd,4th & 5th choices. Keep in mind he will loose his bonus points regardless of what choice he draws.

• Like 1

How many points does he have?

5....not enough to draw an archery strip tag in the bonus pass round, but enough to be in the bonus pass for an October south Whitetail tag.

Correct. The bonus pass does not look at the 3rd,4th & 5th choices. Keep in mind he will loose his bonus points regardless of what choice he draws.

Ya, hes aware. Hes 70 and wants a Whitetail on the wall. Doesnt want to chance not getting a leftover tag.

How many points does he have?

5....not enough to draw an archery strip tag in the bonus pass round, but enough to be in the bonus pass for an October south Whitetail tag.

He won't be considered in the bonus pass for the whitetail tag, so no worries. This is exactly how I play it now. I don't rely on leftovers anymore.

• Like 1

Why out in for mule deer if he wants to kill a whitetail?

Hed rather have a strip tag than a Whitetail tag, but doesnt plan on drawing the archery strip tag and doesnt want to chance not getting a leftover Whitetail tag.

First choice strip second whitetail, he'll never no and might get to hunt. Mistakes happen

• Like 1

If he goes second choice whitetail make sure it's a December tag in a unit that requires more than 5 points otherwise he'll have zero chance at the strip tag even if it's his first choice since 5 points will guarantee him pretty much any Oct or November whitetail tag down south.

If he goes second choice whitetail make sure it's a December tag in a unit that requires more than 5 points otherwise he'll have zero chance at the strip tag even if it's his first choice since 5 points will guarantee him pretty much any Oct or November whitetail tag down south.

Ya i knew that and thats exactly what i dont want to do.

How Mobil is pops and what's his comfortable shooting distance?

Hes good on flat ground, uphill gives him fits hes got a bum ticker and gets out of breath quickly. He has a long range gun that Lance worked up a load for and i have a G7 BR2 to give ranges so we are pretty confident with the gun. Id say hes comfortable to 600. In the right conditions hed stretch it out.

• Like 1

Well first 2 hunts for 35a are a guarantee. If you go that route for last choices hit me up.