Sign in to follow this  
twigsnapper

Interesting Article

Curious how this effects Hunters....

https://www.azpm.org/p/home-articles-news/2018/5/7/129055-environmental-groups-plan-to-sue-to-protect-moth-found-in-arizona/

The Center for Biological Diversity, Defenders of Wildlife and the Patagonia Area Resource Alliance have filed a notice that they intend to sue the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service over a decision to not extend endangered species protection to the Patagonia eyed silkmoth.

The moth's habitat is in the sky islands that straddle the Arizona-Mexico border, with its lone known habitat on the U.S. side in the Santa Rita Mountains.

A lawyer for the Center for Biological Diversity said there are three groups who have filed exploratory mining claims that could prove detrimental to the species.

"Future hard rock mining exploration and development is a concern that the Endangered Species Act could address," said Brian Segee.

He also noted that the Patagonia eyed silkmoth has been found in an abandoned cemetery near the ghost town of Harshaw. The groups think the fact that the species is found in a gated area shows another possible cause of habitat destruction.

"It's one of the few areas in the local vicinity that has been protected from livestock grazing, where this sole population, currently the only known U.S. population is found," he said.

The notice gives the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 60 days to re-evaluate its decision to not protect the moth before the groups can file a lawsuit.

LOL I have been hunting this general region since 1977. As of late (a decade at least) the grazing has been almost nil, getting sick and tired of tall grass leaving seeds and junk in my pockets. Had to go to high top boots for all the dry grass, weed seeds and other grassy litter getting into my low boots.

The thing that makes me wonder is about the "3 groups have filed exploratory mining claims". Might be more about a back door way to stop the big mine that has been in the works north of Patty. However since Patty is the only lake down my way that's not on the mercury list I could care less if that potential mine got stopped. Id hate to see one of the only non polluted lakes get trashed.

• Like 1

It's all about stopping the mines. Those hippies don't give a crap about the critters they are trying to save....

As they drive around in the copper filled electric cars, laptops, and cell phones....

The thing that makes me wonder is about the "3 groups have filed exploratory mining claims". Might be more about a back door way to stop the big mine that has been in the works north of Patty. However since Patty is the only lake down my way that's not on the mercury list I could care less if that potential mine got stopped. Id hate to see one of the only non polluted lakes get trashed.

Ironic considering that lake was created by miners in the interest of mining. A century before the current dam was built, Sylvester Mowry had created a reservoir there to supply water for a hydraulic mining venture that never happened.

From the USGS: the amount of mercury from mining in larger watersheds is a fraction of what is contributed by other sources and processes such as atmospheric deposition, land disturbance, and erosion of less contaminated soils....

• Like 1

The CBD, etc. sue, it's what they do. They are attorneys who can't make it without government welfare, i.e. the Justic Act.

Our Stupid congress pays groups like these to sue them/us weather they win or lose, ridiculous or not. So many bad laws on the books, so little time.

As long as it doesn't effect hunting, I don't care. As far as mining goes, I say find another place. I don't live there and haven't even been to the places they're talking about so again it doesn't affect me. What bothers me is that the mining is what will stop hunting, not protection of a moth.

There have been two things happen in my favorite hunting areas and it didn't come from the crazy left. One was Potash development and another is Wind Turbines. Thankfully the potash development has died or hunting would have been more difficult. The wind turbines have forever marred the landscape that was once nice.

• Like 1