Sign in to follow this  
Northern Pintail

When to buy Point Guard

As I was applying for deer and sheep I was wondering when I should start buying point guard. For example, if I have only 1 point, I'm probably not buying point guard. But if I have 20, I am buying it. But where is the breaking point? I don't have many for sheep but bought it anyways in case I live long enough I don't want to be a point behind max because I didn't buy point guard. Deer was a different thought as most hunts (south of the grand canyon) can be drawn every couple years and I don't see the point of buying point guard.

Based on a money perspective where is the breaking point? Or is there even a breaking point based on money?

Where do all of you draw the line or do you just buy one for every species no matter what?

You'll be long dead before being anywhere close to 1 point behind max on sheep. Right now the people in the max pool and maybe 1 group behind them have a chance at max before we die. If you draw a sheep tag you're not giving it back so my advice on sheep is no point in buying it.

• Like 2

I dont think point guard is worth it.

Im sure its been explained a thousand times but how does the max point work? I have 13 right now and all I know is Ill never be at max point...when do I stop accruing points?

I used to donate a little extra to AZGFD when I applied and what I got in return was the good feeling of knowing I helped fund wildlife projects a little more.

But with point guard, you get more than a good feeling. You also get the peace of mind of knowing that if something catastrophic happens and you can’t hunt, you won’t burn your bonus points on hunt you can’t go on.

So I say buy it. It’s kind of like a straight up donation but also like insurance. I think it’s worth it.

Although I plan my work life and personal life around my hunts, crappola happens. “Man plans, God laughs.” as the saying goes. Emergencies happen. Car wrecks happen. Major illnesses happen. You may as well hedge against those things and even if you don’t directly benefit, the money goes to a good cause. And when you consider the cost of a hunt, $5 is insignificant.

• Like 8

I agree I'll probably never be in max for sheep but are we really going down the road of max for sheep being 60 points? I'm not sure when bonus points started in AZ but based on sheep max at 28, if someone started at 10 years old, and draws at 70, that's 60 f n points, not counting hunter ed and loyalty.

14 points for deer and only applying for one specific unit. I'm buying point guard. haha

I bought it last yr for deer with only 2 pts. I ended up using it cause I tagged out in Aug.

I cant use it again till after I draw so i wont be buying it this yr.

Wonder if they would let me buy it even though I cant use it? Or will the system recognize it and not offer it to me

I have 9 pts and bought it for elk this year. Glad I did...if this drought holds up I may turn my tag in and draw again next year (I have a 7W tag so highly likely I can draw that again next year...)

So it's situational.

Can you but it after you put in? I am putting in this year with some non-residents and have 6 deer points.

Can you but it after you put in? I am putting in this year with some non-residents and have 6 deer points.

You can buy it all the way up to the draw. I think the credit card update date is the last day you can purchase

As soon as I bought point guard for my 24 antelope points last draw. All of of sudden my points disappeared. And I didn't even draw. Another portal account problem. they said they are trying to fix it??? Yeah right they even asked if I ever applied with them before. Just be careful. This portal account is a mess.

If i buy it for deer and draw a tag, then kill in August on the archery hunt I can use point guard turn in my tag and then its given to the next person in line?

If i buy it for deer and draw a tag, then kill in August on the archery hunt I can use point guard turn in my tag and then its given to the next person in line?

Yes

NOTE: If you determine you can't/won't go on a hunt and you've purchased Point Guard (for any big game specie), rather than giving your tag back to Game & Fish, you can donate your tag to Arizona Elk Society's Hunts for Heroes (Heroes Rising Outdoors) program. We'll make sure to walk the needed forms through with Game & Fish so you retain your bonus points. A Win-Win for both you and a disabled Arizona veteran! Put my cell # in your Phone: (480)760-3868 ... --- Tom

• Like 4