Sign in to follow this  
joe hunter

How many non res elk points ?

Anyone know what it took this year for sure to draw a unit 1 or 3c early non res archery elk tag ? I have 15 points for 2019 and I would like to draw one of those units next year and get out of the points game and just stick to hunting my home state of NM . I was thinking about unit 27 but a well respected outfitter told me since the fire 27 is a mess ????? with all the blow downs ???? He advised me to just keep putting in for 1 and 3c until I draw.

Last year 36% of people with 15 drew unit 1. 14% of people with 16 drew 3c. I'm looking st the report from this year but it's not broken down by non resident. It appears in unit 1 everyone with 16 points that put it first choice drew it but only a small portion of guys with 15 drew it. So I'd say guaranteed draw for unit 1 was 16 points.

In 3c noone with 16 drew a tag in the bonus pass and all did that had 17 with 3c as first choice. So I'd say 17 guaranteed for 3c archery. (Which is insane)

I blame the Jay Scott Podcast for throwing things off in 3C. I enjoy the podcasts, but I think his unit by unit breakdowns throw things out of whack. I know things have been said on his podcasts that seem to have coincided with some big draw/point/creep swings soon after. I personally wouldn't ever pick a unit based upon something I hear on his show. How many thousands of others just got the same tip and idea??? I think this probably holds true even more true for non-residents who don't have the on the ground knowledge and rely on sources like Jay. Just to be clear, I don't know Jay, and this isn't in any way meant to be a knock on him or his show. I applaud him for his success, and enjoy the podcast. But it sure seems to have had an effect on some units. Maybe it is in my head, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

• Like 1

Interesting that he regularly rates 3C as a top tier unit but has not hinted the unit since move the rodeo chediski fire.

Probably not the guy I would be taking advice from.

i think he is friend with one of the outfitters there and try to promote his bussiness, he always have that same outfitter for those units around there.

i think he is friend with one of the outfitters there and try to promote his bussiness, he always have that same outfitter for those units around there.

Yeah, that friend (who is really good guy) guided a client last year who took the biggest deer to probably ever come out of that unit. Now 50,000 guys are going to think there is 210+ inch mule deer buck behind every tree and not realizing what an unusual deal it was. I'm estimating we will see some point creep in there this upcoming draw cycle.

If there's anyone that tries the hardest to spread the word to the universe on what 3c has to offer it's your buddy Shane Koury. Jay Scott's podcasts certainly dont help anything because he spreads the word to such a large audience. But Shane has him beat on proclaiming to the world what 3c has.

Shane talks more, but Jays microphone is about 100x what Kourys is.

• Like 1

If there's anyone that tries the hardest to spread the word to the universe on what 3c has to offer it's your buddy Shane Koury. Jay Scott's podcasts certainly dont help anything because he spreads the word to such a large audience. But Shane has him beat on proclaiming to the world what 3c has.

Absolutely do I consider Shane my buddy. Flatlander is 100% spot on in his statement. Again, I don't knock Jay for it, but there is a huge difference in a guide talking up the unit he specializes in and a guy with Jay's platform (Flatlander suggested 100x the microphone, I'd suggest at least 1000x the microphone) moving the numbers.

Exactly what I said in my post. Jay reaches many more people but atleast it's a once a year thing. Shane throws a 3c hashtag on every dam post he makes. Jay does it to help Daniel Franco who is his friend but I'm sure Shane gets his fair share of clients from it as well and I'm sure he loves the exposure of 3c. Either way all of it comes together to definitely screw up the odds.

• Like 1

Exactly what I said in my post. Jay reaches many more people but atleast it's a once a year thing. Shane throws a 3c hashtag on every dam post he makes. Jay does it to help Daniel Franco who is his friend but I'm sure Shane gets his fair share of clients from it as well and I'm sure he loves the exposure of 3c. Either way all of it comes together to definitely screw up the odds.

I get why he does it, but I'm likewise not a fan of that hashtag or any hashtags/information on social media that give away units.