Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

What to do ,11 points ,Res.

If this was me I would go either 12a west late, 27 december rifle mule deer, or 6a december rifle mule deer. If unit 23 has a December rifle hunt this year for mule deer I would also consider that. These would all be my second choices and I would put either 13b rifle or 13a rifle first choice. Good luck I wish that I had 11 points.

• Like 2

Brian I like Hour idea. or possibly a great late coues hunt. thanks...........BOB!

Anyone have any info to share on 27 late Muley. Might be very interested in that hunt......Thanks ,I have only hunted coues once in that unit but have heard good things about Jan. Muleys with bows. Just don't know it .............BOB!

The where to hunt section on the arizona game and fish website breaks the unit down for mule deer. During December the deer should be in the junipers or cedars is what i call them. I have never hunted unit 27 but it sounds like a rough unit with elevation change. There has to be some big mule deer in there and during the rut when the hunt is they'll be with the does.

OK, i think I will do Late Bab then late 27 with my 11 points. At 62 I am not waiting for strip regardless of what my buddies say. Come on some body from Safford or Morenci gottta have some ideas for me. Its a 1 time thing ,promise I will never go there again or tell any one.......BOB!

OK, i think I will do Late Bab then late 27 with my 11 points. At 62 I am not waiting for strip regardless of what my buddies say. Come on some body from Safford or Morenci gottta have some ideas for me. Its a 1 time thing ,promise I will never go there again or tell any one.......BOB!

Hey Bob, I dont know much about that 27 late Hunt as Ive only turkey and shed hunted in there, but if you put that for second choice you will almost for sure draw it in the bonus pass and not even have a chance at a late Kaibab tag so make sure thats what you wanna do. Thats some steep nasty stuff in places, couple that with this nasty dry year and I think youre gonna be hard pressed to dig a 180 buck outa there. If I were you Id hold off one more year and take a few days to run up there and hunt the archery hunt in early January this year and make sure its the hunt you want before cashing in. Thats just my 2 cents, I know guys shoot good bucks in there but most of them are some hardcore hiking SOBs that do it!!

• Like 2

Or if you haven't put in yet you could do 13a or 13b first and 12a west late second choice. It looks like you want 12a west late over the rest so you could just put 12a west as your first choice and leave the rest of the choices blank until you draw that hunt.

Like yotebuster said if you already put in with unit 27 as your second choice and if it qualifies in the bonus pass this year than that's what hunt you will get drawn for.

Each year they seem to change some of the December rifle units around and some of the other units that were in the recent past I liked better.

• Like 1

Yotebuster, if I put in late Bab first and 27 2nd I wont have a chance at the Bab. I'm not with You there. Or am I miss understandng.............Thanks BOB!

Yotebuster, if I put in late Bab first and 27 2nd I wont have a chance at the Bab. I'm not with You there. Or am I miss understandng.............Thanks BOB!

They do the 20% bonus pass first before the random draw. So theyll look through everyone with the highest point tiers for each hunt. You wont make the cut for late bab with 11 points but you most likely will for 27 late so youll get a tag on second choice in the first round bonus pass and your name wont be in the hat on the random draw pass that comes up later.

• Like 2

Naturebob, yeah yotebuster is correct that you wouldn't get a shot at 12a west late even though it is your first choice. It didn't make sense to me either until I read a post that redrabbit put on this website at one time. That post was written out where once you read it, it made sense.

• Like 1

11 BP should get you into your choice of the best December Coues hunt. You are about 4 points behind for a late 12AW hunt in the bonus pass, and your chances are less than 5% in the 1-2 pass. 12BW muzzleloader or a select desert muzzleloader may be a viable option. 180" mule deer is like that 380" elk behind every tree in unit 9.

• Like 1