Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Apache-Sitgreaves Forest Closures Imminent

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/asnf/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD580394

Forest Managers Plan Area Closures as Conditions Worsen

Release Date: May 16, 2018

Due to increasing drought conditions and high to very high fire danger across the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests (ASNFs), area closures will be implemented in some parts of the forest. Areas outside of the closures with remain in Stage II Fire Restrictions.

Closure areas are decided upon by district and forest leadership with the primary objective of providing protection to communities at risk of wildland fire. Prevailing southwest winds are consistent to areas within the geographical location of the ASNFs and will play a role in determining locations of area closures.

ASNFs wants concerned citizens to know that forest closures are not taken lightly, as they affect many people, businesses, partner agencies, important restoration and other work on the forest, and the public. When forest closures are in effect, everyone is prohibited from entering the forest – including Forest Service personnel, unless they are responding to a wildfire or other emergency or patrolling to ensure enforcement of the closure.

• Work on thinning and other forest and watershed restoration projects ceases under a forest closure.
  • Partner agencies, organizations, concessionaires, outfitters, permit holders, and contractors, including utilities, are all prohibited from entering the forest to even make repairs or work on infrastructure running through the national forest. Only emergency or other very limited exceptions are made.

While the Forests hope we never have to go into a full forest closure, it is always a possibility depending on conditions and if there is an increase in human caused fires. Fire and public contact patrols have been increased on all districts along with firefighting personnel. Information is being disseminated far and wide about forest conditions and the need to be extremely careful when using the forest. The public can help by spreading the word, reporting violators, and making sure their homes and communities are Firewise.

When it comes to implementing both fire restrictions and closures, community sentiment is always a major consideration for us. We balance the need for restrictions with the ability for the public to enjoy and retain economic benefits from the National Forest. We hear a range of opinions and comments from our local community members and our visitors and consider these very seriously in our decisions about what level of restrictions or closures to implement and when.

When plans are finalized, information will be shared on when and where the area closures will be implemented.

Fines & punishments for violating fire restrictions:

• Violating Stage II fire restrictions or going into a closed area is a violation that carries a mandatory appearance in federal court.
  • Violation of these restrictions is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, which means a fine of up to $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment of up to six months, or both.
  • Fines and punishments are determined by a federal court judge.

For more information on:

• Like 2

I agree, shut it down.... but.... they need to be more specific or defined in the areas... before the holiday weekend. Its written pretty vaguely for the masses ... just make it simple and close the whole thing. done

• Like 1

Hopefully we can make it one more week before they put the closures out. Family tradition to go camp at Clints Well and go to the archery shoot. Kids will be heart broken.

That's why they are closing it down before the weekend. I believe they will come out with the specific areas today. The shoot in clints well may still be ok because that's the coconino forest and I dont think they are closing yet.

• Like 1

IMHO-- Folks are going to want to get out and about on the public lands . In the interest of preserving what is left and still holding some green stuff , the precaution of closing the forests for the fact that the fire danger is so high would be a good thing . Not everyone follows the fire restrictions , unfortunate but true .

Close it all down until the rains offer some relief . Again just my opinion .

• Like 2

Well, I knew I should of went camping back in April before kids baseball/softball started, guess Ill be going after the monsoons start.

If they close Apache Sitgreaves the rest will follow suit I would imagine. Not to much difference in rain really anywhere right now in the state.

Kaibab started it, last week.

Tonto should be next.... even the wildlife is Moving out

a bear was spotted in red mountain ranch in mesa (Power and Mcdowell) about 4 hours ago

{sorry cant get the video to post}

a bear was spotted in red mountain ranch in mesa (Power and Mcdowell) about 4 hours ago

He looked to be in pretty rough shape.

Closure specifics are coming for the areas affected. Right now both Navajo and Apache Counties have enacted stage III closures. Forest service lands will be handled separately and all of the one concerned which is almost all of them will be announcing soon. I suspect you might see established campgrounds with water on site remain open with stage II fire restrictions and unestablished areas be closed until we get the monsoons. I usually camp on Memorial Day weekend in the Greens Peak area however I suspect that area will have restrictions. Guess I will go wine tasting in Sonoita.

• Like 1

I just read also that Coconino County SO and Flagstaff PD will be conducting early am and night flights to find illegal fires.

• Like 1

I live near where that bear was spotted. Happens every time it's this dry. They drop off Four Peaks in a desperate search for food and water.

And I agree on the closure! Shut the whole thing down now!

Not sure why they would close the Wallow Fire area. It needs to burn again badly!!! Plus there isn't enough fuel for a big fast moving fire.