Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Wild Horses???

I have 0 desire to shoot one of these things. There is no hunt associated with it. I would like them gone, but I dont want to do the killing.

I wish the BLM program actually worked. Unfortunately nobody wants them. Probably have to exterminate them.

Kind of the same feelings here. I grew up around horses think my sister has about 20 right now I fear that if I went out and shot a horse if I had a tag my sister would never talk to me again LOL. Although it does sound like a good bit of meat and I've heard it taste pretty good my sister would be so mad. Now donkeys on the other hand I think I've gotten to the point where if they issued a tag I'd go ahead and go take one. If they ever issued tags I might start considering it that is a lot of meat. I am so so sick of people calling them Wild Horses rather than Ferrell. Granted when you see a picture of one of them standing in the river it's a beautiful picture looks amazing but they are not supposed to be out there they are jacking with our native animals just like the donkeys are we really seriously need something done about these invasive species. There's places I used to hunt deer and javelina that I can go to and glass for 2 or 3 days and not see one single deer or javelina but I will glass up 50 60 donkeys a day easy. Crap there's donkey crossing signs all the way down by my house at Happy Valley and I-17 LOL. They may not actually be right here but they are 2 minutes from my house north of me. Heck they walk across the range at Ben Avery. I don't hang out a lot where the horses are but I understand the problem is getting really bad. If you go on a website like I believe it's called The Cavecreekers infamous bulletin board or something like that you know Cave Creek used to be full of cowboys and cowgirls, Ranch people, now it's more full of artsy-fartsy hippies and when you get on there so many of them are posting about these so-called wild horses and posting all this petition stuff and sign this and sign that and they have no clue these are the same people that are feeding wild animals in their backyard and then their neighbors are complaining about all the Damage Done to their yards or their pets being eaten. The liberal mindset is just bewildering
  • Like 1

All of the management plans are already thought out and ready, there's several issues, funding is one and the other is wild horse nut groups again using feelings and money to lock up any attempt to manage these animals as they should be by birth control, and removal and adoption.

Now it's backfiring on them and the animals are suffering more each day, hit by cars and without water due to overpopulation, I read recently on the res there was a mass die off of over 100 horses. This works well for management but horse groups are stepping in and trying to save them, so they are wild but need to be petted and fed, it's a mess and yet another sign of this soft society wrecking what good people built before them.

• Like 1

The feral horse issue is like most all other issues. A few activists playing on the emotions of the ill informed and dictating what should happen. Just like gun control, illegal immigration, save the cats and bears, health care and on and on.

• Like 3

Just found out today when the apache sitgreaves closes on Wednesday south of 260 the horse lovers were able to sneak in a special permit from someone that allows them to continue to haul water. All the while not even forest service employees can enter the forest. Wtf? I'd like to kick someone right in the balls that allowed that.

• Like 1

DUH........................

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa/2018/05/19/deaths-salt-river-horses-along-bush-highway-lead-safety-measures/625418002/

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Five fatalities of horses being hit by cars since April along Bush Highway, three of them within the past week, have prompted new safety measures to warn drivers.

Several message boards were placed along the highway, cautioning drivers to “slow down” and to “watch for horses," according to Tracy Ruth, communications-division manager for the Maricopa County Department of Transportation.

Other commitments include working with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office to enforce speed limits and painting "watch for horses" signs on the asphalt.

Simone Netherlands, president of Salt River Wild Horse Management Group, a non-profit organization that protects the wild horses, said the Transportation Department committed to short-term and long-term plans to improve safety along Bush Highway.

“We really want to commend them for their fast action,” she said.

636622811898533002-Salt-River-horse-non-
A non-profit group urges drivers to slow down along Bush Highway. (Photo: Salt River Wild Horse Management Group)

Netherlands said the increase in fatalities may have resulted from the recent addition of guardrails along portions of Bush Highway.

“The horses were getting confused by the guardrails, they kept walking into them,” she said, and were stuck within the confines of the road at times.

Since April, five horses have been killed. Two of the horses had unborn foals. No people have been seriously hurt in the collisions, according to the non-profit group.

Ruth said the county's Transportation Department has worked with the non-profit group for nearly five years, but immediate action was necessary because “it had become a significant issue.”

Ruth said some of the long-term safety measures may be completed within the next year. These include installing speed "flashback" signs to remind drivers when they exceed speed limits and placing horse-crossing signs.

The county also will work on developing long-term solutions, including radar-triggered flashing lights that are activated when horses are on the road.

Bush Highway cuts across the habitat for the Salt River horses, a herd that has long been the subject of advocacy and debate.

In August 2015, the U.S. Forest Service announced it would round up and remove the herd of about 100 horses that roam near the Salt River Recreation Area. The Forest Service said the horses were causing safety issues, including traffic collisions on the Bush and Beeline highways.

An outcry from animal lovers and politicians halted the planned roundups, and an agreement to protect the free-roaming horses was announced in December 2017.

Under the agreement, the horses are no longer considered stray wildlife and the law makes it illegal to slaughter, harass, shoot, injure or kill the horses.

• Like 1

Just found out today when the apache sitgreaves closes on Wednesday south of 260 the horse lovers were able to sneak in a special permit from someone that allows them to continue to haul water. All the while not even forest service employees can enter the forest. Wtf? I'd like to kick someone right in the balls that allowed that.

I hope the wildlife up there will understand and respect the fact that that water is intended for the pretty ponies ONLY and they must back off (sarcasm)!

I can verify this permit thing later, but meanwhile I got in touch with a friend of mine that hauls water up north for the AES. He was shut down a week ago by ol Smokey, but hopes to be back in business in about a week. It's a process he calls "Poking the Bear."

• Like 2

What I dont get is how the same groups are all for letting forest fires burn, and wildlife die due to other acts of nature but then feel this great calling to care for feral horses, dogs, cats, etc.

Guess you cant explain crazy.

• Like 3

What I dont get is how the same groups are all for letting forest fires burn, and wildlife die due to other acts of nature but then feel this great calling to care for feral horses, dogs, cats, etc.

Guess you cant explain crazy.

They don't say Liberalism is a mental disorder for nothing.

• Like 3

If the "wild" horse advocates are so concerned about water getting hauled to the horses why are they not hauling it themselves?

• Like 2

I have 0 desire to shoot one of these things. There is no hunt associated with it. I would like them gone, but I dont want to do the killing.

I wish the BLM program actually worked. Unfortunately nobody wants them. Probably have to exterminate them.

It wouldn't be hunting, it would be habitat protection for the native animals. You would be an exterminator, not a hunter. I do not normally varmint hunt but I shot a number of coyotes doing voluntary predator suppression prior to the 37B big horn transplant. Shot them, walked away and let them rot without guilt knowing that a baby bighorn was no longer on their menu. I believe the only difference to me would be that the coyotes were at least a challenge.

• Like 2