Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Wild Horses???

Most you can tell by looking at them. Short nose, short legs. They have gotten so far from there breed it is visual..on most.

They certainly are mongrels.

How many would pay for a tag to shoot a feral horse for the meat?

I'd pay extra for a tag to shoot a feral horse and leave it there.
How are you able to tell the difference between a "feral" horse and one that has been turned out on a range lease?
Because none of the ranchers release their horses out here in 3c in fear that they will say they're now "wild" and then cant get them back. And I know everyone that ranches around here doesnt release their horses out there. Just cattle.
Oh you can turn your horses loose on leases and get them back. And even the best cowboys have had their horses leave them.

So how does someone who does not posses all the intimate knowledge of all the ranchers and their stock tell if a horse is feral? You didn't really answer this simple question. Because the answer is, you cannot tell the difference. It would take a huge chunk of time to identify the members of a wild horse band. So I don't think there will be any otc permits any time soon.

And yeah, there are wild cattle too eating grass, drinking etc.

But if you have permission of a lease holder to go after them, better make sure they're of age and not branded.

Both are generally rounded up for ID.

Not defending wild horses but let's not lose our minds. The Govt needs to act.

Dont need any intimate knowledge other than that there are ZERO horses in 3c that are from ranchers. Therefore meaning every horse you see out there is a feral horse.

Aint most good working horses sterile?

A lot of cowboys prefer geldings, not all. Mares can get a little bitchy. Most Hispanics and a lot of native Americans will not castrate.

How many would pay for a tag to shoot a feral horse for the meat?

I'd pay extra for a tag to shoot a feral horse and leave it there.
How are you able to tell the difference between a "feral" horse and one that has been turned out on a range lease?
Because none of the ranchers release their horses out here in 3c in fear that they will say they're now "wild" and then cant get them back. And I know everyone that ranches around here doesnt release their horses out there. Just cattle.
Oh you can turn your horses loose on leases and get them back. And even the best cowboys have had their horses leave them.

So how does someone who does not posses all the intimate knowledge of all the ranchers and their stock tell if a horse is feral? You didn't really answer this simple question. Because the answer is, you cannot tell the difference. It would take a huge chunk of time to identify the members of a wild horse band. So I don't think there will be any otc permits any time soon.

And yeah, there are wild cattle too eating grass, drinking etc.

But if you have permission of a lease holder to go after them, better make sure they're of age and not branded.

Both are generally rounded up for ID.

Not defending wild horses but let's not lose our minds. The Govt needs to act.

Dont need any intimate knowledge other than that there are ZERO horses in 3c that are from ranchers. Therefore meaning every horse you see out there is a feral horse.
Using your logic, any horses that get loose are feral and you'd take them out. Hope you like prison life. Lol

I've had my issues with wild horses in UT busting down my fences (at least think they were feral, probably just abandoned)

Here where I live now it's wild burros. They tease the mares, eat the gals flowers. Waiting for one to cause a traffic fatality.

At least I can shoot the collared dove that feast on my chicken scratch.

Yes if any horse gets loose and its owner doesnt attempt to get it back they are breaking the law and it is now feral and if I had legal permission I'd shoot every last living horse out there and then go home and sleep like a baby.

• Like 1

Yes if any horse gets loose and its owner doesnt attempt to get it back they are breaking the law and it is now feral and if I had legal permission I'd shoot every last living horse out there and then go home and sleep like a baby.

I have friends in 3c, they have a hundred acres bordering forest land. A tree blows over and takes out 100' of fence and the horses are 20 miles away by sun up. But since you know every rancher, every cow and everyones movements, you'd know they were looking for them. Whew, what a relief. Police yourself and you'll be plenty busy. Lol

A good way to get rid of them, at least the Salt River bunch, is to quietly organize a group of people and shoot them at night during the winter solstice. During then because you would be able to maximize the night time hours. Once done, get rid of the evidence like clothing, boots, guns, etc and use other vehicles that can't be traced. Leave the cell phones and anything else that tracks you at home.

They would still get busted because someone couldn't help but brag about it afterwards.

• Like 1

The time spent to try to determine whats wild and whats feral would be wasted. There isnt one wild horse in AZ. The wild horses that have been out there for twenty plus years are just old feral horses. With all the interbreeding of the supposed wild horses and feral horses would make them all feral anyways. Its an absolute joke for the FS trying to not get involved to avoid getting the bleeding hearts stirred up.

• Like 1

Only the gov has the resources to address the problem, and corraling them is not the solution any more than having open season.

But until you get politicians in office willing to do what is right rather than worry about their next election, nothing will be done. The lefty tree huggers are too organized and well funded. It past epidemic some years ago. The BLM has squandered a fortune on catching and feeding them.

The same libtards that got the slaughter houses closed are the real problem.

They would still get busted because someone couldn't help but brag about it afterwards.

Been the downfall of most. Few people, maybe one out of tens of thousands. I dunno know, maybe millions, can take a secret to the grave. But then again, just maybe, the further the deed from your moral compass the easier it is to bury it down deep.

• Like 1

what gets me is there are people I know that have captured some and have turned them into great riding horses but it is illegal. why not let people who want them have them.Makes no sense to me!

• Like 1

what gets me is there are people I know that have captured some and have turned them into great riding horses but it is illegal. why not let people who want them have them.Makes no sense to me!

When I was a kid they rounded up feral donkeys and had an adoption, Now tell me how that helped anyting LOL clearly our problem is bigger and badder than ever put donkeys and horses.