Sign in to follow this  
mfernaz

7mm Remington Magnum load development

I just finnished Remington 700 build and getting ready to do some load development. With it being a magnum cartridge would like to keep the round count as low as possible. I'm also having some info debates. Hornadys 10th edition states for 162 grain ELD-X bullet and retumbo max charge is 71 grains, and on the IMR RDC it states max is 73 grains. I was going to start at 68 grains and work my way up, but didn't want to start that low because of round count.

Any advice on what grain to start and what method do you reloaders use for load development. If any info is needed regarding my rifle for help, please let me know. Thanks CWT members.

Load a ladder test start low and work up .5 gr per round. Personally I would start lower than 68 gr. I know it should be safe but I've seen several rifles show extreme pressure well below max book load, one Browning x- bolt popping primers at min load.

• Like 2

Unless you shoot at an extremely quick pace, I think you might be a little too worried about round count. Give the barrel plenty of time to cool off and fire away.

I was semi-worried about the same with my 28 nosler, and have several hundred rounds down the barrel with no I'll effects.

• Like 1

The last couple 7 mags that I worked up with the 168 class bullets liked to be pushed hard, 72-73gr of Retumbo. The 180s seem to have a good node right around the 70-71gr mark as well.

• Like 1