Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Max Sheep Point Holders

I put in for sheep every year now just started 7 years ago. I am 53 and know that I will probably never draw. It will not bother me to not draw one as I prefer archery elk hunting over all the other tags and it seems almost as hard to draw those as a sheep tag for me.

• Like 1

There is nothing about sheep that excites me. Drawing the tag seems to be the toughest part from an outsiders prospective. Plus its always fun to see you sheep guys get all irritated

• Like 2

with 28 points and 33-34 years of trying( missed 1 yr when twins were born) the only thing that move the needle about the sheep draw is seeing people with only a few or 0 bps getting drawn

• Like 2

You'd be surprised how many draw every year with only a handfull of points! This is why we has this problem.

• Like 2

I think it should require a certain minimum number of points to even be eligible to draw a Once in a Lifetime tag (at least 5, maybe 10) such as bison and sheep.

• Like 3

Then it essentially becomes a preference point system. And "point creep" will become a factor. I think the fact that anyone has an opportunity to draw when they apply is a good thing. I remember the 3 year sit out for elk and antelope from years gone by, and hated it.

Then it essentially becomes a preference point system. And "point creep" will become a factor. I think the fact that anyone has an opportunity to draw when they apply is a good thing. I remember the 3 year sit out for elk and antelope from years gone by, and hated it.

The way it is now not everyone has a chance to draw. That's why I wish they would square them.

I think it should require a certain minimum number of points to even be eligible to draw a Once in a Lifetime tag (at least 5, maybe 10) such as bison and sheep.

Agreed. Would keep dads from getting their 10 year olds sheep tags when they'd be happy shooting a doe on the kaibab. Pretty sure Colorado has that rule and you have to have 5. Need to show some sort of dedication to wanting to hunt that special animal.

I think the system we have is reasonably fair with such a finite resource. As someone with 26 sheep points I wish it was weighted heavier towards the people with the most points, with something like 60 or 80 percent going to the highest point holders, a better balance between a true preference point and worthless bonus points. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

Of course, my own suggestion would guarantee that I could not get drawn for the next few years (since I only have 3 points), but I still think that it's just demorilizing to those that have applied for 25-50 years to see some 10 year-old with no points get drawn. There's no way they can even appreciate what they have.

• Like 1

But people that are at max or close to max arent applying for the lesser quality hunts. They are pretty much all applying for the same hunts.

• Like 1

There should be around 44 folks with max points that can still do desert sheep maybe they should start a meeting together and draw among themselves for this year on who gets those best tags. They could then decide from that if they wanted to go down to the next good tags.