Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Not Closing the Rim?!?!

I don't get why they aren't closing the rim. Seems like an easy decision. Now you will have every Memorial day camper concentrated in one small area in record dry conditions. What could go wrong?

post-6408-0-56419200-1527092884_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-11199400-1527092896_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-26853800-1527092905_thumb.jpg

Not that it is necessarily going to happen, but I see this concentration as a great opportunity for law enforcement to show a stern presence and a significant portion of the non-experienced campers could get some education in the process.

• Like 7

Not that it is necessarily going to happen, but I see this concentration as a great opportunity for law enforcement to show a stern presence and a significant portion of the non-experienced campers could get some education in the process.

One could hope.

Its all politics. Can't close the Rim lakes on the biggest camping weekend of the year.

It was like that back in the 80's when I worked on the fire crew there, and it's the same dance today.

My prediction: big fire breaks out on Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

Its all politics. Can't close the Rim lakes on the biggest camping weekend of the year.

It was like that back in the 80's when I worked on the fire crew there, and it's the same dance today.

My prediction: big fire breaks out on Saturday afternoon.

I've been wondering about that. Holiday weekends have to be huge for economies like Payson. The impact of a closure could be bad for them, even though I believe most residents would be all for it.

To Mr. Forlorn's point---I hope that prediction is wrong , but you are on point to the fact that someone is bound to have a fire thinking that it will be ok . If the LEO's are out enforcing as they say ---get them all .

Citations and Fine's for any and all who don't follow the rules . Just one fire to get away and then it's all gone----

Remember last year when the guy on the news told people to stay home and not come up on the mountain.........man he caught alot of grief from the businsses....

Have watched the local stations this morning--all have reported on the fire dangers , restrictions and closures .

Good to see that--- hopefully the folk's traveling up on the Rim for this weekend will also get a clue .

Take a minute and say a prayer for all that gave the ultimate sacrifice .

Have a good weekend stay safe .

• Like 1

$$$$$$$$$$ They dont close bars and not sell beer on holiday weekends. They just arrest alot of stupid people. If stupid people start a fire then firefighters get paid, the people "should" pay, and the forest gets rejuvented, win win.

PS never go camping, fishing, etc. on a holiday weekend. That is what stupid people do and you want to stay away from them.

• Like 3

my bad. it looks like the forest along the rim is open from woods canyon lake to leonard canyon except for promontory point.

apache nf and big lake are open except for an area west and south of greer to 273

lee

Another big problem is that there are a ton of hispanics who love to go camping and on a weekend like this they are everywhere. Lots of them dont speak english and I highly doubt the spanish radio stations or Telemundo talk about this at all. So lots of them probably have no idea.

the entire rim is closed this morning from camp verde to woods canyyon and from woods canyon to lakeside.

https://ein.az.gov/emergency-information/emergency-bulletin/area-closures-coconino-national-forest-go-effect-tomorrow

Not exactly true. Woods canyon, willow springs, bear canyon area is still open. Apache sitgreaves left north of 260 open. Might as well start a thread where we guess the date and time of when the fire breaks out up there. Kind of like the draw results post.
  • Like 2