Sign in to follow this  
mcr-85

Help with Arizona first coues hunt... Unit question

I posted this on the rifle hunting coues forum but it's probably better suited here.

Hello all. I've never posted here before but I've read this forum a few times. I've got the itch to go chase coues. I'm looking at units 21 and 24b for the early November hunt. I've not stepped foot in either unit. I'm leaning more towards 24b on the North side and hiking in to the wilderness area. I also understand there are 2 wilderness areas in 21. I think I'd much rather hunt a wilderness area where I could get away from the roads a bit. I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear people's thoughts that have spent time in both units.

Thanks

Marcus

Where do you live? Both units have plenty of deer in places that you can get away from roads. I'd probably lean towards the one that is more convenient (closer) for you to scout.

I note you live in Utah.... do you know the Wasatch Mountains? I have an elk hunt there (multi-season). I'd be happy to trade information- detailed info...

I know 24B extensively- not 21.

• Like 2

Im familiar with 21. A lot of deer and quality bucks if you put the miles in. I'm not sure how it compares to 24b but from my experiences if you're looking to just fill a tag 21 is a good way to go. Look at previous threads. There is some good info.

I only know 24b. Its a rugged unit. The north side definitely gets less traffic than the south. There are coues everywhere top to bottom. Some of the access points into the wilderness from the North can get a little crowded.

Like most coues units in this state, there are WAY too many early season tags and no matter where you go it can get a little crowded. But it sounds like you are willing to do some work to get away from the crowds and in that case you should be more or less fine.

Good luck. And if you havent put in yet you are at least 18 months from hunting either of those units wits a rifle. So lots of time to do research. If you are interested in hunting this year grab your bow or pick up a leftover coues tag for a southern unit during the leftover over draw this month.