Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Reminder: Trail cam meeting/webcast tonight at main G&F office

Trail cams allow anybody to have 7/24/365 surveilance of public lands in as many locations as a participant is willing to maintain. I do enjoy looking at all the photos users post. At the end of the day, it is a fair chase issue. I support a ban.

Last time I checked my cam I got a pic of a dude taking a dump. Didn't realize it was there till after. I felt bad about it. I'm also scarred for life

If they are not going to allow them within 1/4 mile of a man made water source the only reasonable suggestion I have heard is banning them around water from middle August (2 days before archery deer season opens) all the way through end of January. Having a camera season similar Montana is a fair compromise in my mind. You can still run cameras 24/7/365 but not around water during this time period.

I suggest everyone write the commission and let them know your feelings on the matter. Nothing will get settled here.

I really love hearing how archery hunters are so willing to throw all other hunters under the bus. Yea, great, archery hunters have pics right up to their hunt, to heck with everybody else. Right?

I know somebody else here says argument is lost when somebody compares camera ethics with other issues in hunting. I see no honest conflict with cameras, just peoples own opinions/jealousy. I would love to see a ban on ATV's for hunting. ATV's are responsible for more area closures than anything else. Ban them! I can guarantee the quality of my hunt would dramatically improve if ATVs were banned for unethical violation of fair chase.

The point is, nobody has made an honest case for how trail cameras (other than "live" cams) offer any conflict with principles of fair chase or any other conflicts created by cameras. Yea, outfitters may be taking it too far, but deal with that issue.

I can't wait to hear the commision come up with some ideas that improve hunting, instead of spending all their time figuring how to get more money out of us and their personal peaves.

• Like 1

Simplicity is the key to this camera issue. Alot of Guys are over thinking this !

This has never been about live feed cams it is a dead issue.

• Like 1

I really love hearing how archery hunters are so willing to throw all other hunters under the bus. Yea, great, archery hunters have pics right up to their hunt, to heck with everybody else. Right?

I know somebody else here says argument is lost when somebody compares camera ethics with other issues in hunting. I see no honest conflict with cameras, just peoples own opinions/jealousy. I would love to see a ban on ATV's for hunting. ATV's are responsible for more area closures than anything else. Ban them! I can guarantee the quality of my hunt would dramatically improve if ATVs were banned for unethical violation of fair chase.

The point is, nobody has made an honest case for how trail cameras (other than "live" cams) offer any conflict with principles of fair chase or any other conflicts created by cameras. Yea, outfitters may be taking it too far, but deal with that issue.

I can't wait to hear the commision come up with some ideas that improve hunting, instead of spending all their time figuring how to get more money out of us and their personal peaves.

It's more to do with it being the first hunt. Not archery vs rifle.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you all are not thinking about the whole picture. You all are just speaking only about your one personal experience and bias. The G&F and you have not explained fully THE PROBLEM THAT IT IS NEEDING TO BE SOLVED. From many posters there is no problem. There have been many posts about the proliferation of cameras. The majority at that time were against all of the cameras seen at waterholes. 20 or even 10 to me would be ridiculous. The G&F cannot make a rule that only singles out one group. You cant complain about the cameras and then complain about the rule that tries to solve it. What is the difference whether it 440 yds. or 400 yds or pic a number. Most smart people will be able to deal with any number. Do any of you care about the hunt or just killing? The antis are just salivating at the arguments and gadgets you use to justify making it easier to kill an animal. The average voter is not going to understand or agree with your argument. You are your own worst enemy.

The fact that they only proposed banning them on "developed" waters means deep down it is not truly about fair chase. I can hang a camera on a spring or on salt and later kill off of it, but I can't hang a camera on a dirt cattle pond and then kill off of it? Meaning its more ethical to kill off a spring or off salt than a dirt tank? If anything I could argue that salt is the least fair chase of those options. They really are just trying to address congregating of cameras in populated spots to the point that it affects wildlife habits and creates hunter-hunter conflicts.

I doubt they will be willing to call out specific units for the ban, so I think the only way to be totally fair to everyone in the state is to say Zero camera use is allowed in units with active deer or elk hunts in them, August through November. Simple, end of story. Game and fish would have to do no enforcement because the hunters would self police probably and do the department a favor and take down any cameras they happened to come across that were still out during the hunts, as many would probably not being ok with a fellow hunter getting an "unfair" leg up on camera use... funny, not funny.

If you don't think trail camera use has went to far, then go to scouttohunt.com. Actual hunting skills could be a thing of the past in 20 years.

Also just remember hanging cameras on rancher developed stock ponds(which way outnumber G&F waters) is actually trespassing, that improvement is private property of the rancher, on all private and Az State Trust Lands, on federal lands it depends on which district supervisor you talk to.

One of my Emails to:

Commissioner Davis.

According to the proposed 1/4 mile rule for Trail cameras .

1st. There will always be a trail cam on the water in dry units . A hunter without a tag can put it there irregardless of a new rule based on fair chase in aiding or abetting.

2nd I drive by that Trick tank I see his camera . I call G&F to report because I see his camera . I dont know who's it is but think its someone bending the rules.

Times that senario by 1000's in calls to G&F . Jealously prevails in our modern world.

3RDLY. How would G&F know who it was ? Jay Cook said well we would do our normal investigative process , really x 100s or 1000's of calls?

4th All a none tag holder has to do is call his buddy who has a tag and say you need to check out this trick tank .

And G&F is gonna try to prove that he told his buddy about that big bull . Really how are they ever even gonna know?

6th . Because G&F only has the authority to ban cameras under the Fair chase policy and not the authority to ban all cameras all times you are borrowing more trouble than the existing system that we have now!

Thats why my idea :

1. All units north of the colorado river cameras shall be takedown 48 hours before the 1st rifle deer hunts.

2nd. All elk units south of the Colorado River Trail Cameras shall be take down 48 hours before the 1st archery elk hunts.

3rd. Simplistic and enforceable.

Josiah Scott

Even with a simple rule like this. A non hunter can still put a trail camera on a waterhole year round!

Really Azgfd should just leave it as it is!

Hello my name is PETA!

OK, OK, I should know to whom I speak. I'm already over it, but I want to point out how so many now consider hunting - strapping a 15 pound rifle with 24 power scope on to their ATV and drive to the top of a mountain to use their $2,500 spotting scope to spot animals a mile away. They shoot several hundred to a thousand yards. OK. That is fine I suppose, but I remember when none of that existed and I am not that old. Just saying. In the end I am not down with the hunters against hunters coalition.

One of my Emails to:

Commissioner Davis.

According to the proposed 1/4 mile rule for Trail cameras .

1st. There will always be a trail cam on the water in dry units . A hunter without a tag can put it there irregardless of a new rule based on fair chase in aiding or abetting.

2nd I drive by that Trick tank I see his camera . I call G&F to report because I see his camera . I dont know who's it is but think its someone bending the rules.

Times that senario by 1000's in calls to G&F . Jealously prevails in our modern world.

3RDLY. How would G&F know who it was ? Jay Cook said well we would do our normal investigative process , really x 100s or 1000's of calls?

4th All a none tag holder has to do is call his buddy who has a tag and say you need to check out this trick tank .

And G&F is gonna try to prove that he told his buddy about that big bull . Really how are they ever even gonna know?

6th . Because G&F only has the authority to ban cameras under the Fair chase policy and not the authority to ban all cameras all times you are borrowing more trouble than the existing system that we have now!

Thats why my idea :

1. All units north of the colorado river cameras shall be takedown 48 hours before the 1st rifle deer hunts.

2nd. All elk units south of the Colorado River Trail Cameras shall be take down 48 hours before the 1st archery elk hunts.

3rd. Simplistic and enforceable.

Josiah Scott

What about rifle elk hunters?