TREESTANDMAN

The really big one got away!

I hunted pretty hard this Janary. Took off a week and 1/2 to try to stick a really big one this year. I have a buck on my trail camera that I think will go over 110" net and gross. Two years ago I was guessing him as high 90's low 100's but this year he is just HUGE!!! He came in one time while I was in my stand tending a doe. She came in first and he hung out in the thick stuff. Finally he presented a head on shot, as I pulled back he recognized the sound of my arrow touching my rest and he took off. My heart was really pounding after seeing that huge of a buck in real life. I hunted that same stand 3 more days passing on a few smaller 75" and less bucks. I rattled and grunted in a few just to play around with him.

Yesterday I was hunting that spot as my final day for January. It was the day after a snow so I thought it would be extra good. It wasn't as I didn't see anything until 12:00 pm. It was a little forky buck that came by and scraped. I spooked him by accident and as he was running away with his tail up, I grunted to him hoping he would come back just for entertainment. Not a minute later I detected movement as a decent buck walked up the canyon towards me. From far away he looked pretty good and I was feeling depressed having not seen the big boy for the last few days. I thought to myself, " I'll just take the big buck next January, by that time my back will be healed and I wont feel as much pain sitting in the stand. This buck was coming in fast and it appeared he was looking for the source of the grunt. He stopped at a nearby scrape and did his thing very agressively. He even raked the pine sappling. Afterward he continued on towards me and stopped right at my mock scrape with a dripper. As he sniffed the ground I drew back and took only a 15 yd shot. The shot was perfect for the steep angle ripping one lung apart and coming out of his liver. He only ran 20 yds and piled up. He is the biggest hard horned buck I've killed and I'm very happy with him. I will not settle for anything but that whopper next year though!!! Here are a few pics. I'll post his score in a few days, if any of you want to try out your knowlege at guessing? I'll be using Greg Mcbride "Trails end Taxidermy" for my 4th animal. I've always been very impressed with his work.

Congrats Mike......you of all people are very deserving of every animal you harvest.....congrats again.

PS you forgot to upload the pics

CopyofDSC01268.jpg

Here is the one I wanted and hopefully will get next year. This is the same buck but the buck on the left was 2 years ago. The G3's are a lot higher now along with the main beams and mass.

CopiesofG22YRSAPART.jpg

Congratulations Mike! That's a buck well deserved, you work harder than anyone I know at treestand hunting coues.

WOW man, I would "settle" for that buck anyday.

You are right about Greg, he does great work. That reminds me, I have to go by his place and pick up my bear skull.

Congrats on a great buck.

thats a heck of a buck...defintately not one i would have to SETTLE for.....congrats on that fine animal

Mike,

That's a fantastic buck!! Congratulations!! You work harder at hunting coues than anyone else that I know. You did the right thing by taking that buck, he is a buck of a life time. That other buck didn't get that big for being stupid. You may never see him again. Hopefully you will. I'm sure you'll be looking for him all year.

You have had quite a year. You came back hard from bad injuries and took two awesome bucks. My prayers are with you that your back fully recovers.

Your friend,

Mark