Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyhcp

Unit 23 New mexico

Ok guys I am a coues deer hunter but me and my buddys put in for mule deer in New Mexico unit 23 and drew it. We are gonna start this weekend looking at country and will probably do at least 8-10 different trips scouting. I dont really know the area so if anyone has any tips I would be interested and I want to hike in away from the crowd

Good luck. The reason 23 seems easy to draw is because north of Mule Creek it is narrow and long. The deer/elk travel through between the AZ line and the other units. South it is mainly BLM/State/Private land. There are deer in there but it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Same with elk in that unit. This year I would look for a good permanent water source and start from there. I have the archery coues hunt there and the reason I do the archery hunt is I get the whole month of Sept. and 2 weeks in January. This year I am putting all my eggs in the January hunt.

• Like 2

It's a tough hunt, lots of tags and everything red sparky said I experienced in that unit. As soon as I thought I had gotten away from people along came a string of horses. Still better then sitting at home though. It can be pretty thick north of mule creek which makes tough glassing. I wasn't able to harvest but I had fun. The Burros are a different story. Good luck and stay away from the roads!

The locals all drive the roads drinking Bud light. The biggest Muley IV'e killed came from the south part of the unit in a remote area. Also good to know some body over there. Good Luck.........BOB!

• Like 1

One of the biggest muleys I have ever seen was in that unit. Down south of Mule Creek up against the ranch where the road is blocked by a locked gate. We hunted east of there.

• Like 1

Ya them Ranchers try to lock the gates on blm land over there....BS. I don't care if they haul water ,that is part of being a rancher in the desert......BOB!

No say it in't so. Ranchers blocking off public land because they run cattle on it? I have never heard of that.

• Like 1

Don't want to appear to be a jerk but I don't think any information is going to be posted in a public forum. If I knew anything I would send you a PM. Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip.

• Like 1

I did one last weekend I am doing another this Saturday you didnt read the post very well it said I will be scouting a lot 🖕🏿

I did read your post well. That is why I can't understand why you are still e-scouting.