Jazz

Rangefinders

Hey guys,

Looking for a rangefinder. I have a decent one for archery but past 100 yards it sucks.

Id like it to reliably tell me how far that elk is up to 600 yards. Past that is a bonus but were gearing up to practice out to that range.

Hopefully under 200 bucks-im reading a lot of mixed reviews, and some say certain ones are great, others say the same one cant find deer at 400 yards.

So I come to the pros. What are you using?

Bass Pro and Cabela's will probably have the Leupold model w/ angle compensator on sale the next couple months (about $250?). Love mine ...

I'm using a bushnell Gforce dx arc I got on amazon during a lighting deal. For the price it's done everything fine so far. It as compensation for archery and different rifles.

The early Leupold models sucked. I've had the Leupold RX1200i TBR for a while now and it works great. It has angle compensation. I think you can find those for around $300. I got a good deal on a Leica 2000-B. It is very nice, and accurate. It calculates angle, temp, and barometric pressure into shoot to distance. I got this one because I too am working to extend my shooting range. It cost a little more but you can find deals. For mountain hunting angle comp is important. Shooting 500+ yards, air density starts to be a factor.

Might as well save your pennies and buy something thatll range farther. Wont be long and you will be shooting out to a 1000.

• Like 1

I saw a couple different brands on camofire yesterday. A couple of Leica's with significant savings.

If you're not in a hurry, check out their website daily. They usually recycle the deals.

Another vote for Sig Kilo. I've got a 2,000 but if you want to save a few bucks they have a 1250 and an 800 that are a little cheaper.

Might as well save your pennies and buy something thatll range farther. Wont be long and you will be shooting out to a 1000.

Or 2000....

I have a Leica 1600B that I have had for a few years. I can range deer and elk out to 1800 or so with it. Small, light, fast. Fits in a t-shirt pocket. You can pick them up for way cheaper than the original $700 price tag now.

I just got a BR7 G2, and have yet to take it and stretch it out, but was getting readings on some rocks past 2000 with it.

• Like 1

Another tip= use your rangfinder to range a rock. Walk to that rock and then range another rock In the direction of the Elk of course. When you get close to Elk shoot it. You wont have so far to walk to get to the Elk or the spot where the Elk was. :)