Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Mid Life/wife crisis Question

So.... turn 40 in july, but these ideas are all from my lady... so technically it's not my mid life crisis, but rather my mid- wife crisis. (sorry about the long winded story)

I skrimped and saved and back in the day I bought a used pop up from my buddy. A classic 1979 coleman. Now it needs a few things here and there, not much but all we ever really do is have a soft place to sleep and a clean place to get dressed. Still cook outside and except for one javelin trip, the camper has never been a refuge during trips.

Then I met a girl. She's keeping ,me around, been 4 years. We bought a house together, and I just got a check from selling mine... which has opened up a can of worms. She isn't a fan of my old vintage camper, takes a bit to set up and its hard to pack (without setting up, and unpack). I toyed with the idea of buying a New-to-me pop-up. Been keeping an eye out, missed a few deals because we were waiting to sell my house but oh well. The understanding was, sell my house, get a new camper.

Turkey season came, one more set up of the ol coleman. She said, "what about a hard side". Well, trying to stay mobile with the smaller the better, and the fact that I have a half ton (or in most circumstances, my brother pulls it with his jeep), I want a small camper.

Independent thinker.... she started showing me pictures of campers she found. So I fired back pictures of ones I thought would be a compromise. Finally she said "there's a rv show at UoPS, mom n dad are wanting to go, we can go too just to get ideas; then well look for something similar used." (Her dad is getting ready to retire, they want an apartment on wheels for traveling to see family and a bucket list). I thought the show didn't have anything all that interesting. She told me I was wrong, she found a camper that she liked 30' bunk house blah blah blah... well fully loaded, its hitting the limits of what my truck can pull. the next day I showed her pictures of ultra lights that I liked, and again, thought it was a compromise. Wrong again...I started the debate with "my truck cant handle that, my truck can pull these 3 trailers just fine.".... wrong.... she fired back, "you need a new truck then"., whipped out her phone to show me prices and had budgets and spread sheets.... (yeah, don't try to argue numbers with an accountant). I added the clause of... well depending on which "camper" you want us to get, im fixing up the pop up so I can actually go hunting still.

SO finally the guy part of this... I want another dodge, first off.

-What do I get?

-Gas or diesel? (a diesel will be better for pulling, but in general use stand point)

-years to stay away from? (I know they had a transmission issue for while)

- Power wagon? (5.7 or 6.4?)

-Mpg?

So the background is, I really like the power wagon, but that might be because its awesome. Our budget is around $30k. a 3/4 ton will give us the capacities to pull the camper, but the cost of general upkeep on a diesel first of the practicality of towing a trailer a few times a year ? We probably found 12 trucks that are worth looking at off cyber scouting.

• Like 1

I have no real experience pulling a heavy trailer but dragging a few lighter loads and boats with my 1/2 ton tells me that even a small amount of heavy pulling should be done with a 3/4 ton. Good Luck, you are blessed to have a wife that shares your interest to get outdoors. Not a bad problem to have!

• Like 3

Go diesel. If your pulling a trailer plus adding all your hunting/camping gear you will not regret it.

As far as added cost of maintenance its not that much different. Sure oil changes are more expensive but you have to do them less often.

If youre going dodge itd be 5.9 or 6.7. I loved my 5.9 but I sure do love the extra power of the 6.7 (i did go from a 5.9 dodge to the 6.7 ford tho)

Either way its a nice problem you have on your hands.

I would look hard at a 1/2 ton Ford ecoboost. You can get the max tow package on them and they will do 90% what a 3/4ton diesel will do but do the day to day stuff much better. I just pulled my 11,000 pound corn planter on a flatbed from one farm to another (280 miles). 15,000# load total and it worked just fine. Set the cruise at 80 on the interstate and it kept right up. They love gas when pulling but get really good mileage when not. I get 21-24mpg if I keep it around 65-70. If youre set on the dodge get a diesel, I have a little experience with Hemis and its all bad.

• Like 1

I think your idea of the smaller the better is the way to go. Since she is pushing the subject, it could be fun for both of you. I own a half ton and a 6.7 Diesel. The diesel has all of the power you'll need.

My experience with for ecoboosts (and it's a lot, they are the vast majority of our work trucks) is I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Diesel for sure. Being able to tow comfortably is much better than thinking you can tow.

I read once on here that the vast majority of serious trailer accidents are from people carrying too heavy of a load on too light of a truck. I drive 400 miles a week on the freeway and have since noticed that idea to be true.

• Like 1

If you are going to a bigger trailer, and definitely if a toyhauler is a thought, get the 3/4 ton. Every flipped trailer I pass on the highways were connected to a 1/2 truck. Even if they are rated for the weight, they dont have the butt-end stability you will need.

Gas or diesel? Your daily mileage wont vary much, most will be around 14-15 in town, 16ish on highway unloaded. The diesel shines when towing, The big hemi that Ram is putting in the 3/4 tons will certainly pull, but the diesel will run cooler which is a huge thing in AZ in the summertime. Plus turbo power when you need to pass or climb is sweet. That being said, repairs on a diesel will be double. If you get one, try for a low mileage one, 2012 was the last year the RAM did not require the DEF fluid. The Ram transmissions seem to get questionable about 125-150k from my friends experiences. GM with the Alison has the transmission, the Rams's Cummins engine is solid. I dont have any experience with the Duramax on high mileage, perhaps some others can chime in.

Id go back and find a simple girl content with what you have. Id say if ya keep the girl you should keep the old trailer also. As far as trucks and engines yours now pulls it fine correct.

:)

• Like 2

Man I could write a book on this....lol

I have been going through this SAME thing for the past 6 years.

Wife wanted a pop-up. Got one. Wanted a shower. Added it. Wanted a/c.

Sold the pop-up and my tacoma.

Bought a small toy hauler and a new half ton Ford to pull it. Great for three years. I was the guy in the right lane going 30 mph up to payson(sorry). Only needed to add larger tranny cooler. Loved this set up as it was more than enough for our small family and I could put my rhino in it for hunting. Thought I was done.

Wife didn't like that we had to unpack everything be fore she could sleep after taking so long to get to camp(sleeping in the passenger seat is exhausting evidently...lol).

Sold the hitch pull.

Just bought a 5th wheel toy hauler and a 70k diesel to pull it. Very good friend who is a lifelong deisel mechanic talked me into the gmc. Said it was the best combination for diesel trucks right now. I know nothing about them so I trust his knowledge.

Wife is happy. For now.

Bottom line:

Get a dog and a tent.

• Like 21

Power wagon is nice. My version was the 3/4 ton quad cab tradesman with a .410 posi. Lots cheaper just 3 wheels spinning not 4.

6.4 hemi has been a powerhouse so far.

But the dog and tent is a super strong second.

• Like 1

I would look hard at a 1/2 ton Ford ecoboost. You can get the max tow package on them and they will do 90% what a 3/4ton diesel will do but do the day to day stuff much better. I just pulled my 11,000 pound corn planter on a flatbed from one farm to another (280 miles). 15,000# load total and it worked just fine. Set the cruise at 80 on the interstate and it kept right up. They love gas when pulling but get really good mileage when not. I get 21-24mpg if I keep it around 65-70. If youre set on the dodge get a diesel, I have a little experience with Hemis and its all bad.

My folks haul a 32' trailer all over creation with the heavy half ton eco boost and love it.